Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Patrick Callinan

Hello everybody,

I hope that everybody had a wonderful christmas, and I wish all of you a fantastic 2015.

(Administrators, I hope this message is in the right place. If not, please move it at your discretion.)

My name is Peter Brauckmann, and I'm from the Netherlands.
    On behalf of my parents I am looking for an Irish folk singer named Patrick Callinan, whom they knew in the 1980s.
    As far as they can remember, Patrick had some dealings with the band Planxty, but what this entailed, and for how long it lasted, they don't know.

My parents met mr Callinan around 1980. At the time he was living in Vlaardingen, near Rotterdam, in the Netherlands.
    I was a kid at the time, so my memories of mr. Callinan are sketchy to say the least. :-) But my parents remember this about him:

- At the time he lived in the Pieter Karel Drosschaertstraat, possibly at number 70.
    - He played guitar and bodhran.
    - He performed in pubs like Matrix (Rotterdam), de Koperen Kap (Vlaardingen) and Dirty Nelly's (Delft), none of which still exists, AFAIK.
    - He had a girlfriend called Alma, and she moved to Heerhugowaard after a while. Since we don't know her last name that's a bit of a dead end.
    - We do not know how old he was, because he wouldn't tell when he was born. We do know that he was born in or around Dublin.
    - His brother (first name unknown) was a truckdriver, or had his own transport company.
    - He made an LP called Patrick Callinan sings.
    - My parents saw him last in a restaurant in Antwerp around 1982-83
    - They received a postcard from New York a few years later (1987-1988?) saying "see you soon" or something similar. But they never did.

I realize it's a long shot, but my parents would very much like to get in touch with mr. Callinan.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you know anything, however small, you can get in touch with me via e-mail: p.brauckmann@gmail.com

Thank you all very much in advance.

Peter

Everything is self-evident.

Comment

This might be the Patrick you are looking for.

Translation...
      "Irish Moments" in the courtyard of the castle
      Friends of Irish folk music and ballads have to enjoy today, Friday 20 clock in the possibility of the music Patrick J. Callinans . With its large repertoire of Irish folk songs , ballads, evergreens and contemporary songs he charmed his audience again and again . The concert, titled "Irish Moments" will be held in the courtyard of the castle Kronberg

Comment

Good find BF.
        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Re: Looking for Patrick Callinan

Hello Barefoot.

Thank you so very much.

Although I don't remember Patrick ever using the initial J, it definitely might be him. At the very least this is the first bit of information that isn't 30 odd years old. I'll be contacting Castle Kronberg as soon as I close this screen ;-).

Thanks a million!
          I'll post again when I know more (whether it's actually the Patrick Callinan I'm looking for or not.)

Regards,

Peter

Comment

Case closed (sort of..)

Hi everyone.

Barefoot, you were spot on! It took quite a bit of searching, and lots of e-mails in German, but I have found a Patrick Callinan. I say "a" Patrick Callinan,because I am still not 100% sure it's him, but how many Irish folk singers with that exact name can there be? ;-) The guy I found lives in Germany (actually only about an hour's drive from me!) with a German woman.
            He still plays and sings regularly, which makes me wonder how he could stay under the radar like that. Dozens of internet searchs yielded exactly nothing, until I included his middle initial J (which was in Barefoot's document). Weird....

Anyway, I have put him in contact with my parents, so my job is done. We'll see what comes out of that.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Comment

That's great Peter...glad we were able to help out....

Comment

Working...
              X