No announcement yet.

Piles Buildings Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

she must have been a woman on means quinner able to afford both flats and keep one empty.....i can imagine the joy your mother felt getting those keys

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
      she must have been a woman on means quinner able to afford both flats and keep one empty.....i can imagine the joy your mother felt getting those keys
      LOL......Not really Helen......We kept our flat there when we moved to England in the 50's.......Just a few pence a week.......

There was no profit in Piles Buildings.......They were left to the agents to maintain them with those instructions........I think there were forty two flats and two shops altogether......The two blocks on wood Street were single room with gas light and a range fire to cook on.......no kitchens or sculleries......

I know Mrs Kelly with the flat upstairs had worked in a posh nursing home/hospital in London.....the one where Ingrid Bergman the actress spent her last days.....

My sister and her husband also worked there for a while in the late 50's.....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post

Yes, I think my Mam was walking on air all the way back to the Buildings.....We had electricity and wall-to-wall floorboards.......

Comment

awww god love her....can you even imagine the joy....

right..i hear ya about the cost..but still money was hard to come by lol

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
            Yes, I think my Mam was walking on air all the way back to the Buildings.....We had electricity and wall-to-wall floorboards.......
            And the War in Korea was over.{or was it?)....

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
              Ahh right....
              Where is says the collar factory is where old TOMMY worked.......It went on fire and we were evacuated.......

Comment

Ahh right....
                Notice the ''Arch at the bottom of Wood Street....Just below and to the left is the Arch/laneway where the Bird Market was.....

Comment

Notice the ''Arch at the bottom of Wood Street....Just below and to the left is the Arch/laneway where the Bird Market was.....
                  Yeah....got that......the whole city was a world of characters and discovery.....in the 50s anyway.....I loved the adventure......and the 'street' education was second to none.
                  We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Yeah....got that......the whole city was a world of characters and discovery.....in the 50s anyway.....I loved the adventure......and the 'street' education was second to none.
                    50's was a great time indeed......but was Dublin different to a city anywhere else....I doubt it.....

As a kid I lived in war devastated Southampton......I saw no real difference in those kids except the accent........

Comment

50's was a great time indeed......but was Dublin different to a city anywhere else....I doubt it.....As a kid I lived in war devastated Southampton......I saw no real difference in those kids except the accent........
                      Im biased and Dublin was a bit special......something different......unique maybe.

Comment

Im biased and Dublin was a bit special......something different......unique maybe.

Unique maybe......But to who else...?

I saw Dublin as a city......In as different to the ''country''......

I saw a rich city with lots of poor.........

I saw a religious dictatorship that punished people (my Mam, my brother and my sister)......

I saw great friends amongst the majority that were indifferent.......

I saw nepotism way beyond any scale..........

I saw those who were guaranteed jobs because of who they were.......

I was a very observant child and I have grown up into an observant adult....

Yes, maybe that is unique....

Comment

Unique maybe......But to who else...?

I saw Dublin as a city......In as different to the ''country''......

I saw a rich city with lots of poor.........

I saw a religious dictatorship that punished people (my Mam, my brother and my sister)......

I saw great friends amongst the majority that were indifferent.......

I saw nepotism way beyond any scale..........

I saw those who were guaranteed jobs because of who they were.......

I was a very observant child and I have grown up into an observant adult....

Yes, maybe that is unique....
                          Yeh all those things and more....but yid never find Dublin in Southampton.....not then....not now....not ever.....only imo.

Comment

Yeh all those things and more....but yid never find Dublin in Southampton.....not then....not now....not ever.....only imo.
                            lol...I did not look for anything in Southampton.......I am talking about the local children who I became friends with.......

They collected spilled coal off the Docks......They played the same games as we did.......

Nobody walked to the other side of the street when they saw my Mam coming......

You took your journey through Dublin.......I took mine..........

My observation of you in Dublin would be that you were ''well off''...your dad had a job and a steady income....as did most Dubs........

Comment

lol...I did not look for anything in Southampton.......I am talking about the local children who I became friends with.......They collected spilled coal off the Docks......They played the same games as we did.......Nobody walked to the other side of the street when they saw my Mam coming......You took your journey through Dublin.......I took mine..........
                              Fairdy snuff...

My observation of you in Dublin would be that you were ''well off''...your dad had a job and a steady income....as did most Dubs........
                              Not quite accurate..... the oul man had several part-time jobs... Butcher.....Poulterer....Painter m Decorator.....Cobbler.....Watch n Clockmaker......you name it he could do it.....but no steady job till he joined the post in about 1957....... You lot ....wicher electric dis an dat....an sculleries an two bedrooms.......were minted compared te us up the road with nunna dat.....an red raddled walls in the hallway and stairs n landin.

Comment

Fairdy snuff...

Not quite accurate..... the oul man had several part-time jobs... Butcher.....Poulterer....Painter m Decorator.....Cobbler.....Watch n Clockmaker......you name it he could do it.....but no steady job till he joined the post in about 1957....... You lot ....wicher electric dis an dat....an sculleries an two bedrooms.......were minted compared te us up the road with nunna dat.....an red raddled walls in the hallway and stairs n landin.
                                Lol...Our electric was cut-off more than it was on.....but seeing your Dad in his uniform I would have said ''good morning Sir''.......

that is called ''observation''........

Now, seeing me trudging through the snow in my sandals, threadbare socks and raggedy gansy.....I hope he was not like most Dubs who would turn their gaze to look elsewhere.....

Yes, ''I observed''.......

Comment

Working...
                                X