• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was me quinner hehe Rereading the questions lol

Comment

Originally posted by oscar
      hi and good god is he still here.
      thank you oscar...lol
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post

I think a bit of advertizing would be of use - though I think that many people who might otherwise come here are already on Facebook, which has an attractive end-user interface. There's something about the speed of communication and chat on Facebook that is very appealing - well, it's designed to be that way! But it's also more ephemeral. Then other competition are the various boards, political, cultural and technical forums - companies everywhere are getting into social media and setting up their own chatboards and forums (I hate this plural, after having done Latin at school!).
        I've studiously avoided Facebook for years AD... what are the essential differences between it and the 'social' sections on a forum like this ?
        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

I think AD said it well....the speed of communication and chat.......having said that ive had a facebook account for about 7 years...and a couple of times ive gotten fed up with the intrusiveness of it and how the security levels on it change regularly and sometimes without notice....a good majority of our posters here are on facebook too...ive closed my account several times but reopened it cos its very easy to use and keep in touch with people you might otherwise lose contact with and to keep up to date on various social events...i use it to organize events and playdates for my g/kids and social events with my friends..

Comment

ithink the forum is great, there is something for everyone,while i can get a lot of info from the tv and papers here about home,most of the time we get it first hand from the peopel who live in ireland,and posted on here,and sure i would never have met all the great people that i have met from here in person, mind you am still getting over my meet with s s lol, only joking tony.

Comment

Originally posted by rosebud View Post
              ithink the forum is great, there is something for everyone,while i can get a lot of info from the tv and papers here about home,most of the time we get it first hand from the peopel who live in ireland,and posted on here,and sure i would never have met all the great people that i have met from here in person, mind you am still getting over my meet with s s lol, only joking tony.
              Rosebud counselling is freely available..just as quinner..hee..hee
              today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

I thought I'd revisit this topic, as I tried to start a topic on debates, but it seems to have disappeared. We just had one locked down about caring, as it was felt it was getting too serious, perhaps there was blood flowing, kicks and punches or whatever. What is the use of a forum if it gets censored for no reason. It is like the headmaster calling you to his office. Perhaps this post will bite the dust too.

Comment

Arguments

It isn't worth the breath it takes to argue,
                  Yet here we are and tension's running high.
                  And then, despite attempts to keep short tempers,
                  The silence snaps, and insults start to fly.

It always starts with questions. Always ends in tears.
                  And then the lies: “Don't worry” and “It's fine”.
                  The confusion, guilty silence, sobbed apologies
                  When you realised you've somehow crossed the line.

But the icy, scripted lines that always follow,
                  Leave you needing something hotter to pursue.
                  So you push for that response, that cruel reaction…
                  Just to see if it hurts them like it hurts you.

You use the words you know will cut the deepest:
                  The volume of your voice begins to climb…
                  You say the things you know will hit the hardest,
                  But then I do that to you all the time.

And when it comes to blows, don't spare the punches,
                  I'm sure I've thrown some your way in the past.
                  And anyway, it isn't like I mind them,
                  It's the memories, not the bruises, that will last.

I'm sorry for the times I've sent them your way…
                  I know you thought I wouldn't have the nerve…
                  But I'm either giving all that I'm receiving,
                  Or else inviting all that I deserve.

Perhaps I simply shouldn't ask the questions…
                  At least that way you wouldn't have to lie.
                  Then you could hide your dirty little secrets,
                  And I would never wonder… never pry.
                  I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                    I've studiously avoided Facebook for years AD... what are the essential differences between it and the 'social' sections on a forum like this ?
                    I think the main differences are the sheer size of Facebook and the fact that it's based on individuals creating their own networks not on general discussion, like a forum like this - on here the "social" chat stuff is sort of incidental and emerges out of discussion........it's sort of like if you got rid of the discussion boards and just had people's profile pages where they communicated just with their "friends" rather than on the forum as a whole, it would be like a mini-facebook......probably haven't explained that very well.......I don't like Facebook because I hate all those pictures of skateboarding cats people post and the "give a person a hug today" and pass this message on stuff.......it all seems a bit phoney and superficial.

Comment

Tommie there were no arguements on the post that was locked, well I certainly was never angry and I never took any offence.There were no real insults or reason to feel slighted, it was after all about caring.there was the opportunity for others in days ahead to give an opinion, so it is censorship without any doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                        I thought I'd revisit this topic, as I tried to start a topic on debates, but it seems to have disappeared. We just had one locked down about caring, as it was felt it was getting too serious, perhaps there was blood flowing, kicks and punches or whatever. What is the use of a forum if it gets censored for no reason. It is like the headmaster calling you to his office. Perhaps this post will bite the dust too.
                        You will find the 'debates' thread HERE

The remark about censorship is not helpful.
                        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

rashers I withdraw that remark, I guess I could have made my point in a better way.

Comment

rashers I withdraw that remark, I guess I could have made my point in a better way.
                            Thank you, that's appreciated.
                            'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                              I think the main differences are the sheer size of Facebook and the fact that it's based on individuals creating their own networks not on general discussion, like a forum like this - on here the "social" chat stuff is sort of incidental and emerges out of discussion........it's sort of like if you got rid of the discussion boards and just had people's profile pages where they communicated just with their "friends" rather than on the forum as a whole, it would be like a mini-facebook......probably haven't explained that very well.......I don't like Facebook because I hate all those pictures of skateboarding cats people post and the "give a person a hug today" and pass this message on stuff.......it all seems a bit phoney and superficial.
                              Katie;I seldom ever open facebook,as I find what people write on it is total and absolute rubbish.Who cares if they are at the stores,or sitting on the crapper etc.

Comment

yeah....keep yer passremarkable attitude te yerself there Silver or oil mill ye Facebook is a burglars dream....
                                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Working...
                                X