Forums ..will they last.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums ..will they last.?

Recently Oscar asked a question on funningly enough..ask a question, answer a question re this subject. I said I felt they, this forum would continue, but in thinking about it again and noticing that there are not many contributing to the threads, that includes a lot of mods. The most popular section is quite obviously entertainment, and a lot of the threads require little input, and a lot get just that. I look at sections and for days on end nobody posts.i could put up any amount of threads, but I feel they would be ignored, as are a lot I put up, only a certain few join in, and I wonder why as you don't need to be a rocket scientist to answer some quizzes. I do these to offer in my way entertainment and hope others will join in and pose quizzes, or whatever so as to have a bit of craic. People are welcome to make funny remarks re the questions as that would show some wit, otherwise it becomes boring.
    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Lads I take on board what you have just pointed out. Firstly Oscar, I for one do like the news items as I don't get a chance to look or hear the news on telly or radio and never buy a paper. So when on here, I check in with whats happening in the world today.

Tony I do agree, for the last good while people are not taking part in certain threads, me included. I cannot make head nor tail of your cryptic clues lol, but having said that I love your humour.

Maybe we as mods can put our heads together and come up with something that will attract more posters and hopefully keep them. All ideas welcome.
    It is what it is.

Comment

As present there are 8 members logged on and 60 guests. It's the same day after day. The membership is at present 1157 and of these only a fraction are actual posters. A casual glance at the membership list shows that there are a large number of "members" who registered a year or more ago and have never ever posted. There are some who only posted once or twice. I am aware there some join the forum out of interest alone and others wanting information of familys and other matters. I try to contribute to as many threads as time will allow me. I have many other pursuits and ongoing health problems and I am limited to time on the forum but I try to activitly engage in as many threads as I can. As far as the question goes "will the forum last" I can only say that time will tell. It might also be an idea to clean up the membership list by deleting the names of those who have not posted for a year or more.
      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Hi,,just like Pammy I am terrible at Crytics,,wouldn't have a clue,,my brain went numb when I retired, I do try and keep my hand in,,the odd photo,5 word story,,etc..I don't think the forum will go down like the rest because we have great Mods.and members.
        Part of the problem, Tony,is that we all live in different time zones,which we can't do much about.
        I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
          Recently Oscar asked a question on funningly enough..ask a question, answer a question re this subject. I said I felt they, this forum would continue, but in thinking about it again and noticing that there are not many contributing to the threads, that includes a lot of mods. The most popular section is quite obviously entertainment, and a lot of the threads require little input, and a lot get just that. I look at sections and for days on end nobody posts.i could put up any amount of threads, but I feel they would be ignored, as are a lot I put up, only a certain few join in, and I wonder why as you don't need to be a rocket scientist to answer some quizzes. I do these to offer in my way entertainment and hope others will join in and pose quizzes, or whatever so as to have a bit of craic. People are welcome to make funny remarks re the questions as that would show some wit, otherwise it becomes boring.
          I did notice that for all the members here few post on a regular basis, maybe many just registered so they can view the photo threads which as a non reg lurker many can't be viewed. So the proportion of non posting members is over-inflated by that.

I try myself to post across many of the sub forum as do some others here but some of the regulars here seem to focus on particular sub forum which are obviously an area of interest to them, nothing wrong with that as many are very informative on those topics but when you have a small pool of regular posters it does mean you end up with sections that only 3-4 posters regularly contribute.

Maybe when the guys overhaul and reorganise the various forum here all the oldsters set in their ways will have a look around again and discover new areas of interest. Why do you think supermarkets keep changing layouts so it forces customers to look around and discover new products.

p.S some members are members of other forum too
          Last edited by Napper Tandy; 19-04-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar
            i dont see anything wrong about posters on both forums i also think there should be no problem talking about other forum.
            You read me wrong Oscar......I haven't a problem with posters posting on other forums, I do it myself too. just means that we are sometimes too busy posting at times in other forums to contribute here.

Comment

hi i was not referring to what you said i was just saying what i thought.
              Why quote me then?

Comment

I'm a bit constrained for time, otherwise I'd try to contribute more, in particular to do with Dublin and Irish history, etc. I like the easy-going nature of this forum, compared to others I've come across that have regular flame-wars and invective.

I DO like the news items - I rarely buy newspapers and watch only a little tv, and when I find an interesting item of news here I can pursue it in greater detail on the Net.

I think a bit of advertizing would be of use - though I think that many people who might otherwise come here are already on Facebook, which has an attractive end-user interface. There's something about the speed of communication and chat on Facebook that is very appealing - well, it's designed to be that way! But it's also more ephemeral. Then other competition are the various boards, political, cultural and technical forums - companies everywhere are getting into social media and setting up their own chatboards and forums (I hate this plural, after having done Latin at school!).
                Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                  You do a great job on the cryptic threads SS and thank you for all the time and effort you put in. Although I'm not that good at them... I enjoy having a go at solving them.

Comment

I don't see what the problem is.....everyone is different, some people like doing Tony's quizzes, others don't, some people like the news items, others don't.....if I want to talk about something, I'll start a thread on it, I don't wait for other people to do it......I don't care how often people post, and on which threads, or even if someone never posts - why does it matter? The forum will keep going as long as members want it to, and everyone is free to post or not post on whatever threads they want, or ignore them if they don't like them.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                      I don't see what the problem is.....everyone is different, some people like doing Tony's quizzes, others don't, some people like the news items, others don't.....if I want to talk about something, I'll start a thread on it, I don't wait for other people to do it......I don't care how often people post, and on which threads, or even if someone never posts - why does it matter? The forum will keep going as long as members want it to, and everyone is free to post or not post on whatever threads they want, or ignore them if they don't like them.
                      You got all in one KM. if I don't like a thread all I do is ignore it. Not every thread suits every poster.
                      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

forums will they last.

hi silver spoon, well i have been trying to tell you all about people not posting for a long time. i think as you said this forum is about having some fun but all the admin and rashers is doing is loading us with threads about the news which we can see on all the t.v programmes until we are sick of it. i dont think any. poster joined this forum to read the news.how many people join and we say welcome and we never hear from. them again also the of topic thing is a laugh .if we all can not stay on topic if i wanter to say something about something else now to stay on topic i would have to tell silver spoon to go to such a thread and i will see him there ,crazy.i just hope some day we all dont find the forum is gone and we all are left saying ,WHAT HAPPENED .like another forum we knew.so no more news headlines we all have t.v,s with lots of stations , car radios ect.
                        Here Here. about time

Comment

Great feedback but I want to stress, without getting stressed that I mentioned my quizzes, but as I said you don't have to know the answers just have a guess or a crazy witty guess, as we are known I hope ,still for our wit
                          in most cases on threads especially ones with funny pictures
                          I try and reply with wit, that sounds funny, instead of lol or great, and I feel I am wasting my time, as I expect other witty, if my humble replies are such, to do the same. I would dearly love to see this forum running strong in years to come, and to see more new members join in for the craic, and whatever. I agree with Oscar that there is a very serious tone, it appears, is said when one is off topic..like they have killed someone..a bit dramatic..I agree.
                          today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

It's good to get constructive feedback without the bile which all too frequently accompanies such posts.

Some good points have been raised here today and all moderators will take them on board for concideration.

Comment

like a book, a newspaper, or a magazine......

few people write.....but very many read.......

and, then a few debate what has been written......

that to me, sums up the forum...........
                              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X