Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fogarty's Store, Leinster Street North

General stores

Just wondering if anyone has any information on this shop that was in Leinster Street North just around the corner from Ulster Street. In the 50s-70s it was owned by a man called Fogarty who had a part of one leg missing. He used to ride a specially adapted bicycle and lived locally. The shop building is still there but seems to have closed now according to Google earth

if it is a single story shop, it is now some sort of beauty shop, maybe nails? it was a grocery shop also at some time but do not remember it from 50/70's

could ask in the hardware for you if you need info

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
      if it is a single story shop, it is now some sort of beauty shop, maybe nails? it was a grocery shop also at some time but do not remember it from 50/70's

could ask in the hardware for you if you need info
      I am sure I have seen a photo of it recently, perhaps on the ddml site?.

Comment

Thanks

Was just interested to know what happened to the guy-obviously dead now. Before supermarkets it was of course a very popular shop. He was a very kindly fellow I remember.

Comment

A friend of mine tried to buy Fogartys about 20 years ago. At the time it was a thriving store, although he had to open from 6.30am to 11pm.

At the time, it was owned by a man, about 40, who had bought it from Fogarty some years before.

Anyway, it's lucky that my friend didn't buy......the business went downhill fast as people started to shop in the local supermarkets.
          Attached Files

Comment

The Fogarty family lived in one of the first houses on Shandon Park (think it was #5.

The shop was then run by a gentleman called Denis who lived in the house that the shop was attached to - he ran it for a good few years - a real gentlemen who would often close the shop to bring a bottle of gas to an old persons home at no charge.

I guess there was little or no money in it so Denis eventually packed it in and sold the house too if memory serves me correct.

A pity, because it was a great little store for locals - especially people like myself from Ulster St.

Roy

Comment

Working...
            X