No announcement yet.

The Irish in Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a friend of mine who I only found out on sat ,died on 24 aug, noel Cullen from artane in Dublin, he carried that old contemtables standard at many a ceremony . he was responsible for my grandads medals being returned to the family.
    Attached Files
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

I got to get to a few Anzac day ceremonies with noel in grangegorman cemetery, he mentions laying a wreath on my behalf, that was for my grandfather and the Dublin fusiliers.
      I only came across his death by chance on sat , it was mentioned on the Dublin fusiliers facebook page. he was the youngest l/sgt in the irish guards thanks to his F.C.A training where he was a corporal. he will be sadly missed by his family and friends. QUIS SEPARABIT.
      Attached Files

Comment

What about the Turks and Sardinians....?

I believe the Crimea War had more to do with the Austro/Hungarians than most will admit......
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jembo
          Perhaps another thread joe.....this one is about the Irish in Uniform and related stories.
          As you wish Jembo......

Just thought I'd mention the other Countries who were involved and may have suffered casualties.....

Comment

Significant amount of the RDF ended up joining the Free State Army...
            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
              Significant amount of the RDF ended up joining the Free State Army...
              As in maybe 30% of the National Army by 1923.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                As in maybe 30% of the National Army by 1923.

Have read somewhere that all the disbanded regiments made up to 60% of the Free State Army.....

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                  Have read somewhere that all the disbanded regiments made up to 60% of the Free State Army.....
                  It's possible... at the time of the Four Court attack 100% would have been IRA pro-treaty... by August 1922 the Free State government opened up recruitment to anyone who would support them. That included many ex-RDF members from North Dublin inner city areas... you only have to look at the casualty lists and their addresses throughout the Civil War period to realise where they came from.

Comment

Dublin supporters, well armed and turned out.
                    Attached Files

Comment

royal Dublin fusiliers and munster fusiliers lie dead at v beach Gallipoli on 25 april 1915 after landing from the ss river clyde .

survivors of the the landing in 1920.
                      Attached Files

Comment

6th batt royal Dublin fusiliers at either naas or Basingstoke 1915 prior to heading off to Gallipoli. [my grandfather is fourth man [sgt] from right front row]. [ I have this pic in a high resolution ,you can get up to the faces , if anyone wants a copy on e mail].
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jembo
                          Poignant: The colours of the former Irish regiments have been at Windsor Castle for nearly a century

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4wvCIvjRt
                          Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
                          And a fair few at St pat's Cathedral Dublin JBo http://www.victorianweb.org/sculptur...uments/27.html
                          Attached Files
                          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Most of those from abroad would have been Press-Ganged........The Royal Navy only Press-ganged other sailors.....Most of course would have been Merchant sailors with experience.....

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                              And a fair few at St pat's Cathedral Dublin JBo http://www.victorianweb.org/sculptur...uments/27.html
                              St Pat's again.....south trancept.
                              Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE]
                                Originally posted by quinner View Post
                                Most of those from abroad would have been Press-Ganged
                                Abroad as in where ?

The Royal Navy only Press-ganged other sailors.....Most of course would have been Merchant sailors with experience.....
                                That's true in most cases.....and it lead to the invention of the glass bottom pewter tankard.....The Press Gangs would watch and listen to conversations in the Inns and Taverns and if they heard conversations between skilled mariners they would slip a shilling into the beer tankard when they got a chance.....like if ye went te the loo....when the beer was finished there would be the "King's Shilling" and on seeing it, it was taken that a man had accepted it.....and off he was hauled....Hence the old term "Taking the King's / Queen's Shilling"

Comment

Working...
                                X