Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad always had a copy of the Proclomation hanging on the wall on Ratoath Road and I have always had a copy in my houses too,

Comment

going to see a movie of "michael collins" on foxmovies..

Comment

Originally posted by khaleduz View Post
        going to see a movie of "michael collins" on foxmovies..
        Which one is it khaleduz? The movie "Michael Collins" with Liam Neeson in the starring role is historically inaccurate right from the opening scenes. It opens with British troops firing field guns from a street facing the GPO, and then you see the volunteers surrendering in front of the GPO.

No such street ever faced th GPO.
        British troops didn't get that close to the GPO until after the fight was over.
        The GPO garrison surrendered from 16 Moore Street.

After that it hops from inaccuracy to inaccuracy.

Want to see a pretty accurate version of the Michael Collins story? Try to get a movie called "The Treaty."
        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

yes Rashers the one with Liam Neeson...

Comment

yes Rashers the one with Liam Neeson...
            After you've watched it I'll tell you about some inaccuracies.

If you're really interested in Michael Collins I can send you a DVD with some stuff on it... including The Treaty movie.

Comment

tnx Rashers that's kind of u....

Comment

tnx Rashers that's kind of u....
                If you PM me an address I'll send it as soon as possible.

Comment

Comment

Hi Rashers, you seem to know such a lot about the troubles,
                    can I ask you if I got the dvd you mention from an on line
                    store, would the same (stuff) be on it as well as the movie The Treaty ? also I have seen a photo on one of the the photo threads of a man called Rory O'Connor who carried the half of ham, I was in the middle of reading my Granddads manuscript when came across his name,he was an intelligence officer and that was his cover, he arrived at my g/dads shop
                    9, Lr. Baggots St and Rory and Captain T.J.Cullen, my g/dad sent them upstairs Captain Cullen took off Rory's had and said that was a close shave, Rory told him him previously how near he came to being killed. my g/dad said he could not have been shot and have lived as there were two holes in the front of the hat,
                    he parted his thick black hair to find an upwards red patch
                    as if it had been burned, (the hat is still in existence).
                    So as I am doing my family tree I wondered if I could have a copy that photo of this man. he was very highly though of by my g/dad, aslo can I ask another favour if anyone ever has a camera, and finds them self's in Lr Baggot St, could they take a photo of no 9. we knew he had a shop and now we know it was no 9. I found a photo in the thread of a shop with the name Nugent's on the windows and wondered if that was his shop.
                    Thanks Rashers for any help you can give.
                    P.S. g/dad also said Michael Collins wasn't murdered it was an accident.
                    You got to have a twinkle in your wrinkle.

Comment

Originally posted by MommyDearest View Post
                      Hi Rashers, you seem to know such a lot about the troubles,
                      can I ask you if I got the dvd you mention from an on line
                      store, would the same (stuff) be on it as well as the movie The Treaty ? also I have seen a photo on one of the the photo threads of a man called Rory O'Connor who carried the half of ham, I was in the middle of reading my Granddads manuscript when came across his name,he was an intelligence officer and that was his cover, he arrived at my g/dads shop
                      9, Lr. Baggots St and Rory and Captain T.J.Cullen, my g/dad sent them upstairs Captain Cullen took off Rory's had and said that was a close shave, Rory told him him previously how near he came to being killed. my g/dad said he could not have been shot and have lived as there were two holes in the front of the hat,
                      he parted his thick black hair to find an upwards red patch
                      as if it had been burned, (the hat is still in existence).
                      So as I am doing my family tree I wondered if I could have a copy that photo of this man. he was very highly though of by my g/dad, aslo can I ask another favour if anyone ever has a camera, and finds them self's in Lr Baggot St, could they take a photo of no 9. we knew he had a shop and now we know it was no 9. I found a photo in the thread of a shop with the name Nugent's on the windows and wondered if that was his shop.
                      Thanks Rashers for any help you can give.
                      P.S. g/dad also said Michael Collins wasn't murdered it was an accident.
                      There'll be a photo of Rory O'Connor with this. That's him to the left in the overcoat. The woman is the Countess Marcievicz. Is he the same that fought in the Four Courts at the outbreak of Civil War? He was a very fortunate man to have survived the bullets that made the holes in his hat.

There will be loads of photos of Rory O'Connor to be found if you do a Google Image search.

As to the DVD.. nope not from a store... and the other stuff you mention would be documentaries as well as tv productions like Hidden History. Though not available in shops you can get them quite easily and if you PM me I will point you in the direction.

As for who shot Michael Collins. I'd say it was a 'lucky' (or in this case very unlucky) snap shot taken by a man called Sonny O'Neill. This man was Scottish and was a former British soldier, and one of the few members of the ambush party who would have been well trained to fire a Lee Enfield .303 with such accuracy and under such conditions.

Though the size of the exit wound on Michael's head behind his ear suggests that in fact it wasn't a direct hit but a ricochet. So I'd say that will remain a mystery.
                      Attached Files

Comment

My personal favourite documentary on the life of Michael Collins.

I'll embed a bit at a time here.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X