Eire and the Catholic Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
    When you stop and think about it,it wasn't until the advent of TV in Ireland that people began to see a whole other world out there that before was pretty well hidden from them.It opened up a whole new view of things .That coupled with a better educated population, brought with it the demise of the power of the RC church. There should be no religious input be tolerated in state affairs.
    Dev cautiously welcomes Irish television, which he compares to atomic energy, capable of both "incalculable good" and "immesurable harm"........from the RTE Archives

President of Ireland Éamon de Valera launches new television service and addresses the audience in both Irish and English.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
      Dev cautiously welcomes Irish television, which he compares to atomic energy, capable of both "incalculable good" and "immesurable harm"........from the RTE Archives

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitio...dents-address/
      Shame he didn't have to put up with ''fall-out'' from the later scandals....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

On the 40th anniversary of the deletion of the ‘special position’ of the Catholic Church from the Constitution, Ryle Dwyer examines the article’s origins

PRESIDENT Éamon de Valera signed into law the constitutional amendment abolishing article 44’s recognition of “the special position” of the Catholic Church on Jan 5, 1973. Ironically, the clause dealing with religion had caused de Valera the greatest anxiety in drafting the Constitution in 1937.

He had sought “to produce a constitution which would not require any fundamental change when the unity of Ireland was accomplished”. Subject to “public order and morality”, the proposed constitution guaranteed “fundamental rights”, like freedoms of speech, conscience, association, and assembly, as well as habeas corpus, and the inviolability of one’s home. All citizens were equal before the law, and there was protection against religious discrimination.

Nevertheless, the Constitution accorded closely with Catholic thinking. “The Most Holy Trinity” was described as the source of all authority in the Preamble. The document was drafted with the help of the President of Blackrock College, Dr John Charles McQuaid, who was shortly to become Archbishop of Dublin.

De Valera showed early proofs of the document to some colleagues, who raised strong objections to the religious clause. “The State acknowledges that the true religion is that established by Our Divine Lord Jesus Christ Himself, which he committed to his Church to protect and propagate, as the guardian and interpreter of true morality,” the article read. “It acknowledges, moreover, that the Church of Christ is the Catholic Church.”

Gerry Boland, the Minister for Lands, was appalled. “If this clause gets through as now worded,” he said, “it would be equivalent to the expulsion from our history of great Irishmen.” Protestant patriots like Tone, Emmet and Parnell, would never have lived in Ireland “under such a sectarian constitution”, he argued.

“And I would not live under it either,” Boland added. “I would take my wife and children and put myself out of it.”
        On the 40th anniversary of the deletion of the ‘special position’ of the Catholic Church from the Constitution, Ryle Dwyer examines the article’s origins
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Been reading a bit online about Noel Browne's proposed "Mother and Child Scheme" but all I can glean from what I've read so far was that the proposed legislation was designed to improve medical care for children and thus reduce child mortality, and that it was opposed by the Church which led to Browne's resignation. What exactly were the Church objecting to and on what grounds?
          Yes Katie it is true that Dr Noel Browne tried to have the 'Mother and Child Scheme' put through but it was a Dr James Ryan the first Irish Minister for Health (fianna fail) who put together a new Health Bill 1947. The Bill had made provision for mother and child care. The Irish Medical Association made objections to sections of the Bill at that time. They said their main objection was the fact that it was free to all without a means test. They felt that those who could afford to pay for healthcare should pay. They had their own interests and income to think about I suppose.

I'm not really that up to speed on the finer points of the 1951 resignation of Noel Browne but I do remember reading that Costello had received a letter from McQuaid regarding the Mother and Child Scheme. As Taoiseach, Costello, should have passed this correspondence to his Minister for Health, Noel Browne but he failed to do so or delayed doing so which caused great confusion and ultimately a breakdown in communication between McQuaid and Browne.

Comment

[QUOTE]
            Originally posted by barefoot View Post
            Yes Katie it is true that Dr Noel Browne tried to have the 'Mother and Child Scheme' put through but it was a Dr James Ryan the first Irish Minister for Health (fianna fail) who put together a new Health Bill 1947. The Bill had made provision for mother and child care. The Irish Medical Association made objections to sections of the Bill at that time. They said their main objection was the fact that it was free to all without a means test. They felt that those who could afford to pay for healthcare should pay. They had their own interests and income to think about I suppose.
            Ironically a watered down version of Browne's scheme was passed into legislation in 1953.

I'm not really that up to speed on the finer points of the 1951 resignation of Noel Browne
            He was in fact pushed....ordered to resign by his leader McBride.

but I do remember reading that Costello had received a letter from McQuaid regarding the Mother and Child Scheme. As Taoiseach, Costello, should have passed this correspondence to his Minister for Health, Noel Browne but he failed to do so or delayed doing so which caused great confusion and ultimately a breakdown in communication between McQuaid and Browne.
            Two faced McQuaid was working against Browne behind his back with Costello, while giving Browne the impression that all was well, he was in fact in cahoots with Costello to have it scrapped....even to the point of Costello resigning and or the government falling over the issue....unfortunately Costello had no back bone when it came to McQuaid..... he behaved like a total lapdog... Browne on the other hand ignored Mc Q's objections when he received his letter. Too many yes men in Leinster House is what brought Browne down.....too many grovellers.

Comment

oh, thanks.......i hadn't really thought of that.
              think i've said this before, forgive me if so, but when i asked my mum what a communist was she said it was someone who didn't believe in God! Shows how influenced people were by what the Church said......

growing up and right into the seventies maybe later, there always was a special prayer said at mass on sunday for the conversion of Russia!
              in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                growing up and right into the seventies maybe later, there always was a special prayer said at mass on sunday for the conversion of Russia!
                The prayers must have been answered it’s not a communist country any more its now full of corruption just like Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post

I'm not really that up to speed on the finer points of the 1951 resignation of Noel Browne but I do remember reading that Costello had received a letter from McQuaid regarding the Mother and Child Scheme. As Taoiseach, Costello, should have passed this correspondence to his Minister for Health, Noel Browne but he failed to do so or delayed doing so which caused great confusion and ultimately a breakdown in communication between McQuaid and Browne.
                  thanks BF

Comment

Not too long in the future people will be moaning at why Ireland was allowed to become a Muslim Country......

It is the people who will decide by accepting it......

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                      Not too long in the future people will be moaning at why Ireland was allowed to become a Muslim Country......It is the people who will decide by accepting it......
                      Ahh now ....the call to prayer instead of the angelus bells....that's the sign of change.... Just for you quinner.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                        Ahh now ....the call to prayer instead of the angelus bells....that's the sign of change.... Just for you quinner.
                        I don't look at Youtube......I just look at facts as I see them.......

Allah be praised.......

Comment

maybe a mullah upa turreh will a bit of a change.
                          in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                            maybe a mullah upa turreh will a bit of a change.
                            Early morning call to ''surrender'' ....

Comment

Nice sound .

Comment

The Communists in Russia melted down half a million tons of Bells.....To make bullets......

Comment

Working...
                                X