Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rasher View Post
    When the I.R.A.wanted to get rid of the border you were all given out
    The IRA did nothing to get rid of the border - the customs posts came down in January 1993 same as they did all over Europe with the introduction of the Single Market.

The army posts disappeared with the Provos in 1998.
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
      Those "other places "where Irish people have emigrated to usually dont have a conflict of interest with Ireland's .
      Of course there is conflict of interest with Ireland in some of these " other places". For example there are thousands of Irish illegals in the USA. Ireland wants them declared "legal" whilst the states wants them out. Ireland wants to see them "rewarded" for breaking the law. The right thing would be to kick them out.

Anyway, I seem to remember that the Brits said from the start that they don't want a hard border between the South and North. It is a massive problematic issue and I believe both countries should work together to deliver a solution.
      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
        I'm referring to the present conflict , re the 500 km border with the North . For the last 20 years we have enjoyed an invisible frontier . Its something we have never had since partition and it suits both communities . You dont even notice that you are in Northern Ireland until you see the signposts in miles . Its difficult for people not living on this island to appreciate how much we value that freedom . Brexit is a threat to that .
        I suggest you go to Brussels and have a moan there.....
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
          Of course there is conflict of interest with Ireland in some of these " other places". For example there are thousands of Irish illegals in the USA. Ireland wants them declared "legal" whilst the states wants them out. Ireland wants to see them "rewarded" for breaking the law. The right thing would be to kick them out.

Anyway, I seem to remember that the Brits said from the start that they don't want a hard border between the South and North. It is a massive problematic issue and I believe both countries should work together to deliver a solution.
          jembo, if Ireland is not happy with the EU they are free to leave.....

Comment

You could hardly compare the "plight " of illegal Irish immigrants in the US etc
            ( who have zero sympathy in this country by the way ) to the threat to the way of life of , maybe a quarter of a million people who cris cross the border every week unimpeded at the moment . If you experienced what this was like prior to the border becoming invisible 20 odd years ago , you would understand .

Comment

Ireland has no 'conflict of interest' with US immigration policy - and some in this country would fully endorse your opinion on the 'illegals'. Governments lobby on behalf of their citizens for all kinds of reasons through diplomatic and political channels - that doesn't imply some conflict of interests between sovereign states - it's run of the mill diplomacy, nothing more.

Yes, senior political figures from Britain have been telling the Irish - both north and south - that the post Brevity border will be 'seamless and invisible'.

Having relayed their intention to go for an exit that includes leaving both the Single Market and the Customs Union, the promises of a ' seamless border ' made by Teresa May and her cabinet are seen by anyone with half a brain to be a contradiction in terms.

The people on both parts of this island want nothing to do with the type of border that will emerge if HM Government continues on the path towards a hard Brexit that they currently seem bent on pursuing. The Taoiseach is simply stating the obvious.

Now that's a 'conflict of interest'...

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                Ireland has no 'conflict of interest' with US immigration policy - and some in this country would fully endorse your opinion on the 'illegals'. Governments lobby on behalf of their citizens for all kinds of reasons through diplomatic and political channels - that doesn't imply some conflict of interests between sovereign states - it's run of the mill diplomacy, nothing more.

Nevertheless, it still amounts to border violations.

Yes, senior political figures from Britain have been telling the Irish - both north and south - that the post Brevity border will be 'seamless and invisible'.

Having relayed their intention to go for an exit that includes leaving both the Single Market and the Customs Union, the promises of a ' seamless border ' made by Teresa May and her cabinet are seen by anyone with half a brain to be a contradiction in terms.

The UK will do what's best for them and anyone with half a brain can see that.

The people on both parts of this island want nothing to do with the type of border that will emerge if HM Government continues on the path towards a hard Brexit that they currently seem bent on pursuing. The Taoiseach is simply stating the obvious.

Now that's a 'conflict of interest'...
                If there is to be a "hard border" then the people on both sides of the Irish border will have to stop moaning and get on with it.

As a matter of interest,has the UK announced that there will be a hard border?

Comment

Leo Varadkar's Brexit border stance is 'pure politicking', says DUP deputy leader

The Government's latest intervention on Brexit is motivated by politicking for domestic purposes, the DUP claimed.

More...

Comment

If there is to be a "hard border" then the people on both sides of the Irish border will have to stop moaning and get on with it.

Just another exercise, the EU Dictating to other Countries........

I, as usual await events........and accept no blame for any outcome......

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                      The Government's latest intervention on Brexit is motivated by politicking for domestic purposes, the DUP claimed.

More...
                      Exactly..........Reared by the EU.......

Comment

In the event of a hard border being imposed on this island, the Irish - north and south, will not 'get on with it'.

The UK government has yet to make detailed announcements on any aspect of Brexit - it appears they have still to reach agreement among themselves.

Comment

In the event of a hard border being imposed on this island, the Irish - north and south, will not 'get on with it'.

The UK government has yet to make detailed announcements on any aspect of Brexit - it appears they have still to reach agreement among themselves.
                          ''democracy in action''......The alternative to EU dictatorship........Bring it on....

Comment

That sounds a bit ominous, what does it mean?

Comment

Threats......The EU is good at that......

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                                Threats......The EU is good at that......
                                You think Brussels put up this sign ?

border.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X