No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Vico they were all doctors. On the Road I lived on as I suppose most roads there was a wise woman who would be consulted if you were ill.

The sort of woman who was called on in Childbirth and delivered babies and was called on to lay out the dead,

Most likely these women would have made excellent nurses but probably had no money to train. At that time in Dublin Nurses had to pay to train as Nurses.

This woman would let your Mam decide if you needed a doctor or just an over the counter medication. She was usually paid with a few vegetables out of the garden or a bottle of stout.

You could never get a day off school pretending you were ill, She could see right through you, A quick "Stick out your tongue" a feel of the forehead and you were rumbled

Comment

• Those women worked very hard and came out any time they were asked to

Comment

• They gloried in the fact they were needed and they had a certain esteem in the neighbourhood,

They were never spoken off only in reverent tones. They often had a lot of knowledge of the families they helped but they never divulged much to others, For that most people admired them.

I had an aunt like that she was called on quite a lot, She was a font of wisdom

Comment

• My aunt was not exactly like that. She was not called on for births. But every time somebody died, she was called upon the wash and lay out the corpse. I don't know how she did it. I know I couldn't.

You are right Joan, those ladies were very much respected, they never talked about the patients.

Comment

• My Aunt was called many times for births. It was never anticipated so she would have looked after her family and maybe just got into bed when the call would come,

She would go and stay with the woman sometimes all night. Even if there was a midwife came afterwards she stayed until the baby was born and often got the kids ready for school before returning home to her own family,

When her Children had gone to school she would try to catch an hours sleep because she still had to do her chores,

In the Evening she would call into the check the new mother was alright.

There were a few babies in Crumlin called after her

Comment

• Hi Joan I have been meaning to ask you about your published stories. How is that going, I did hear there was a lot of interest, even though I live a long way away, word travels. Are you happy with it all right now? And when will the next publication be coming out?

Comment

• Well Vico its only on Kindle at the moment, In May it goes paperback but that version is a lot lengthier,

For the Moment my Short Tall stories can only be bought on kindle. They are doing quite well
                Attached Files
                Last edited by joan mack; 14-03-2016, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• The main thing is that it is going well. I don't have a kindle, but when they come out in paperback I will buy one and I will expect it to be signed for me please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                    The main thing is that it is going well. I don't have a kindle, but when they come out in paperback I will buy one and I will expect it to be signed for me please.
                    lol with pleasure, I have to warn you I write my signature Just like a doctor, impossible to understand . There will be longer stories added on in the paperback

Comment

• You're on

Comment

• Comment

• St Patrick's day in Crumlin. as usual the Nuns had cards with green ribbons and a small medal of St Patrick for sale.

The must have been up for nights making them. On the day itself we girls had large green ribbons we were like butterflies lol!

One either side of the head. We very seldom went to the parade, It was much to hard to get home again, But we would go to the movies

Later as a teenager I went to the Garda Club in Harrington Street for a Dance, I was not old enough for the Olympic or Four Provinces. Sometimes we went to Auhgavanna on Rutland Avenue

Sad thing is there was work next day but not anymore. I was born to soon.

I don't see shops selling cards to be worn by kids. That seems to have died out as also the wearing of Shamrock. Seems it dirties your clothes, No matter how well washed it is

Comment

• My grandad used to have half the field from Cashel Road in his coat and hat

Comment

• Yes Rasher my Dad did also, I think most men started off the day with shamrock proudly lying on the hat or label. It ended up after a time like a withered mess,

They have small bunches now in tiny plastic bottles of water to keep them alive,

I remember when the pubs only opened at twelve on St Patricks day and they closed at Two and when they reopened in the evening they closed at ten O Clock pm sharp.

I always feel that in Ireland anyway, St Patrick's Day promises a lot but delivers very little. Its just like another day. Might be different if your a tourist. Today as like most St Patrick's day its cold.

I think I will look at the parade on television with a nice cup of tea and remember the times as a teenager when I wouldn't miss it and when I always ended up with my friends in the Rainbow Rooms enjoying a big Knickerbocker Glory

Comment

• The pubs didnt open at all on the 17th Joan.

Comment

Working...
                                X