Dirty Aggies shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Aggies shop

I just came upon this on Facebook and thought I'd share it with all you ballyers.

Ballyfermot · 7,094 like this.
    9 hours ago ·
    AGGIE MORAN researched by Martin Nesbitt
    Aggie moran was a shopkeeper in Ballyer , she was as much a part of Ballyfermot as most of us that moved to or were born into Ballyfermot , in her own right she was a legend to the people of Ballyer . There is little or nothing known of the woman herself , I google Dirty Aggie to see whatever might come up on her , all of it is just hearsay of what some people thought of Aggie & her shop , reading some comments on facebook of people asking and speculating where she was from before Ballyfermot and where she went to after she left prompt me to look into that
    As I have a keen interest in genealogy and selective local history I gave it a couple of days of my time this is what I came up with on the legendary shopkeeper of Ballyfermot
    Dirty Aggie , Louise Moran , researched by Martin Nesbitt .
    I always say with any genealogy story when we do the research we start with ourselves and work back , but when the research work is done the story makes more sense when we tell it forward from the beginning to ourselves . Aggie story began in the lush farming townland of Yellowbogcommon Old Kilcullen Co kildare about 3 miles south of kilcullen on the Carlow road with Edward & Anne Ivory '' Aggie grandfather & grandmother '' who were married around 1882 . Edward & Anne had 6 children Mary , Ellen , John , Martin , Jeremiah & Edward . Ellen Ivory was born in 1884 '' Aggie mother '' , in about 1911 she married Bernard Casey '' Aggie father '' , Bernard was also from the same townland as Ellen , it is most likely they would have known each other most of their lives , he was born in 1879 . They had 3 children , Louise ,Nellie & Edward , Louise was born in 1912 .... Bernard was an only child , in both of the 1901 – 1911 census his mother Eliza is stated to be a widow .
    Louise Casey
    Louise married Francis Moran around 1938 they had 5 children , Anne , Margaret , Joe , Benny , & the late Frank , I don't know where they started out on their married life together , in around the mid 1950s the Morans moved into a new business premises at 345 Ballyfermot road where they opened a shop which they named and was listed in the Thoms Street directory for that time as '' Morans , Grange Store '' . At that time in the mid 1950s Ballyfermot was a brand new housing scheme on the outskirts of the city with an ever fast growing population of young married couples and children been born into it , the Morans would have made a nice comfortable living from that as did many other shops in the area for that time .
    Aggie Moran
    Where and how did the name Dirty Aggies come from , that is a million dollar question . I did a bit of searching on that , Louise Moran never used the name Agnes & was never called any abbreviation of that name . I googled it to see what might come up on it and there was nothing that I could link it to Louise Moran , then I got in touch with an old friend to see if he could come up with any answers to the Aggie question , he remembered there was an old chant that the children of the tenements in the 1950s used to recite which was called'' Aggie aggie aggie aye aye aye '' , which he thinks originated in Scotland , as Ballyfermot in the 1950s – 1960s was fast filling up with people moving in from the tenements he thought that maybe some children brought it with them & some children been the gurriers they were gave Louise Moran a hard time with it and nick named her with Aggie , the name stuck with her .
    Dirty Aggies
    If the theory above is true how did that become Dirty Aggies ? . Well as we all know anyone who knew '' Louise Moran '' as Aggie would know that hygiene was never a strong point with her , when all the other shops in the area were useing the blue light with the electric wire to zap the flies in their shops Louise was still hanging up the fly paper sparingly .
    Tragedy with Louise
    Louise ''Casey '' Moran had more than her fair share of tragedy in her family , her grandmother Eliza Casey lost her husband '' Bernard '' and was widowed at an early stage of her married life . Louise also lost her husband '' Francis '' early . There was also another tragedy to the Moran family that must have had a most devastating effect on them all , Louise son Frank took his own life .

Frank Moran 8/5/1944— 14/6/1974
    Frank was married to a girl from Fedamore Co Limerick Mary ??? on the 5/4/1973 , Frank and Mary were married for about 14 months & had one child . They lived at 70 Kilmore road Artane , he was employed as a prison officer in Mountjoy for over 10 years . Frank had a long history of depression , in 1972 he was admitted to our ladys hospital Ennis Co Clare for 3 weeks then while they were visiting Mary's family . He was also in St Loman's hospital for 3 weeks in 1972 , He was also attending St brendan's as an out patient up untill his death . Frank was working long hours 7 days a week on different shifts in the prison service which were taken its toll on his mental health , on the morning of Friday the 14/6/1974 he left his home to go to work , only he did not go to work , he went to visit his mother in Ballyfermot . He arrived there about 11 40am , Louise made him some tea , while she was doing that he was out the back in a shed , he arrived back into the kitchen and had some tea with his mother , he said he was looking for a wrench to change a wheel on his car , after he had finished his tea he told Louise he was feeling very tired and was going to lie down for a while , about half an hour later Louise went to check on him but there was no sign of Frank she called out his name around the house & shop but there was no answer so she thought maybe he has gone out for a walk as he often did , Around 2pm Franks brother Bernard went out to the shed at the back of the shop looking for a screwdriver for something he was working on , the door was fully closed when he opened it he seen Frank hanging from the rafters , he was removed and taken to the morgue at Dr Steevens hospital . Franks funeral was the following Monday in Artane he was buried in Balgriffin cemetery , he was 30 years old ............. All of the above on Frank are from the Coroner inquest statements held on the 25/6/1974 from Louise , Bernard & Mary Moran .
    Louise '' Aggie '' Moran retirement years
    After Franks death Louise continued to work on in her shop for the next 6 or 7 years untill her retirement in the early 1980s . She sold the shop and bought a house in Inchicore at number 11 Grattan crescent , which was to become in later years with the demolition of some of her neighbouring houses , number 1 Tyrconnell villas , better known today as the Jim D'arcy house across from the Black Lion pub . By this time she was nearing 70 years of age , by her mid 70s she was showing signs of alzheimer's disease . Her daughter Ann moved in to take care of Louise , by the early 1990s her health and mental state with alzheimers had deteriorated to the point where she needed constant care . At the age of 81 Louise passed away on Thursday 16/12/1993 at the Bru Chaoimhin nursing home (EHB) , Cork Street Dublin 8 , her funeral was on the following Saturday the 17th at the church of the Oblate church of Mary Immaculate Tyrconnell Road Inchicore Dublin 8 . Louise was reunited with her father Bernard , mother Ellen , sister Nellie & her brother Edward at the Casey family grave in the old graveyard on a hill overlooking their family home & farm at Yellowbogcommon Old Kilcullen Co Kildare .
    ..... RIP LOUISE (( CASEY )) '' AGGIE '' MORAN .....
    Martin A Nesbitt
    Researched at the national Archives
    Births deaths & marriages register office
    Dublin city library Pearse Street
    Irish Independent
    Irish Press
    & Grave records ...
    Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Great story Sharkface,you are a wealth of information,thanks for sharing!

Comment

great post ,I remember the shop well

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
        Marie, all credit must go to Martin A Nesbitt who reseached and compiled the article on Dirty Aggie.
        I merely copied it from FB.

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
          have just signed up to this forum and found this post really interesting. I lived in Ballyfermot in the 50s from age 8 to 17. Does anyone remember a very nice jewish man who came around weekly selling groceries from a van. Can't remember his name ...
          shlmoy

Comment

Cant remember anyone selling groceries from a van calling to homes, there was the usual fruit and veg man. Most of the vans I recall were stationary, like Collies van on kylemore Rd, Wassors van (more of a box actually) on the crescent. There was also the 2 Charlies who sold sweets and stuff at the end of Kylemore rd.
            Ballyfermot was a haven for the "jewman" back then, with almost everything available by the week provided you could pay. 3 of my neighbours rented a washing machine between them, for 2 shillings a week each. The washing machine was carried from house to house every few days.

Comment

Working...
            X