This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
    morning all....cold..snowy and winter here..what can i say!!!

Our tree is up...generally the grandkids do it around start of december, but just eamonn was here yesterday and with the weather the way it is we decided to do it yesterday in case its difficult getting here...and he did it all himself lol..i hate this bloomin tree to be honest..its going to start collecting dust till i take it down lol
    What are you like Helen ....still autumn and you have your Christmas Tree...Mine goes up about 10 days before Christmas....and comes down 1st or 2nd January
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
      Morning all seems to me that some people have Thanksgiving on their minds if they're decorating their houses now. I am waiting til December to do mine.

The Christmas lights were lit in town yesterday evening but although I saw a bit of it I was going to a concert last night with friends it was still a good evening out.
      The lights always look great in Dublin city but there is one thing that has been annoying me for years. On Grafton St. the lights say "Nollag Shona Duit" It should be "Nollag Shona Dhuit" They should get their grammar right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
        The lights always look great in Dublin city but there is one thing that has been annoying me for years. On Grafton St. the lights say "Nollag Shona Duit" It should be "Nollag Shona Dhuit" They should get their grammar right.
        Write it on Google translator & see what you get.
        UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Would it not be daoibh

Comment

Hi Vico

When I typed in Nollaig Shona Duit into Google Translator it translates as Merry Christmas but if you wrote Nollaig Shona Dhuit it translates as Happy Christmas. I can't see anything wrong with the spelling in this instance.

There was a thread on here for learning Irish on this site - must try pulling it out.
            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
              Would it not be daoibh
              Yes Rasher, strictly speaking it should be díobh, in other words, you plural. However, people have become a bit lax on the plural in a greeting, probably because in English it stays the same. But you are correct in what you say. So if people want to use the lax method, ok, but it should be consistent.

My point here is the lack of consistency in the grammar change. The noun Nollag is feminine, so the adjective sona becomes shona. It is like an equation in Maths, what you do to one side, you do also to the other. So sona becomes shona, and duit or díobh, become dhuit or dhíobh.

I have on occasion looked up Irish translations on the web and they are a disgrace, some are just transliteration and others are plain rubbish. Nowadays for some reason the powers that be are dickeying around with the Irish language and making stupid changes. Falla (a wall) has become balla. An dheacair, has become an deacair. Even the sound of it is out of tune. They claim the changes make the language easier to learn, but can anybody tell me how it is easier to learn the world balla, rather than falla.

When I was at school (showing my age now) Irish was a compulsory subject. If you failed Irish or English in the Leaving, you lost the entire exam, so people learned the language more thoroughly, they had to, even those people who disliked it. Now it is just a mess.

I have always loved the language and I get bothered when I see it being destroyed instead of allowing it to evolve naturally, like English, or French, or any other language. I suppose making these silly changes, earns some civil servant his salary.

To your point Suzie, the word sonas means joy or happiness, so you can translate it as happy or joyful. The name Shona, is a derivative of sonas. It is I think, a lovely name.

Comment

• Morning all....not a bad morning

Comment

• 'Morning all, had a nice outing in town esterday, coming home got a bit hectic. The Dart was delayed because someone was on the line. I heard they died, God love them. Not a taxi to be got and the bus queue's were something else. On top of all that it was raining. What could a guy do, only go in for another pint till things settled down. Have a good one.
                  Last edited by paudge; 21-11-2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Good Morning quite mild for this time of year but a bit dreary. Paudge yesterday soon after lunch a woman in her fifties was killed by a nonstop train at Raheny Dart Station,

Sad for everyone concerned especially the driver of the train. But Paudge you can get buses to Kilbarrack the 29A or get quite a few to Raheny and walk

The woman that was killed lived very near the station I read may she R.I.P.

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
                      Good Morning quite mild for this time of year but a bit dreary. Paudge yesterday soon after lunch a woman in her fifties was killed by a nonstop train at Raheny Dart Station,

Sad for everyone concerned especially the driver of the train. But Paudge you can get buses to Kilbarrack the 29A or get quite a few to Raheny and walk

Morning all, it's a tragedy that is. It's believed she threw herself in front of the train. My frIend was killed by an oncoming commuter train in August 2014 & I have not forgotten that day. In her case it was an accident because of her poor sight & hearing. We think she was running for a train & fell onto the tracks & didn't move in time before the other one killed her.
                      UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
                        Good Morning quite mild for this time of year but a bit dreary. Paudge yesterday soon after lunch a woman in her fifties was killed by a nonstop train at Raheny Dart Station,

Lord rest her, poor woman. Joan, the bus's were jam packed. I was on a queue with a load of other people in Amien's St and most of the bus's didn't stop as there wasn't room for a sardine. When the Dart resumed I managed to squeeze on board. I was squashed tightly against a young girl of 25 or so. It was terrible Joan, just terrible.

Comment

• lol! Bet that was a good ride home Paudge, I was once on a train like that and mashed against a lovely man who asked me were we making love lol!. Sometimes you don't care you just want to get home

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
                            Morning all, it's a tragedy that is. It's believed she threw herself in front of the train. My frIend was killed by an oncoming commuter train in August 2014 & I have not forgotten that day. In her case it was an accident because of her poor sight & hearing. We think she was running for a train & fell onto the tracks & didn't move in time before the other one killed her.
                            R.I.P. that poor woman. The train driver must be in bits too. Suzie sorry to hear about your friend.

Comment

R.I.P. that poor woman. The train driver must be in bits too. Suzie sorry to hear about your friend.
                              Thx vicon it's over 3 years since she passed away but she's never forgotten.
                              UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

• Morning all.....horrible wet morning

Comment

Working...
                                X