When was Georges pocket built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was Georges pocket built?

Looking through Toms Dublin Street Index 1862, I cannot find Georges Pocket...Anybody know when it was built...?
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    Looking through Toms Dublin Street Index 1862, I cannot find Georges Pocket...Anybody know when it was built...?
    Have no idea, but ... some pics.

pocket.jpg

014-Georges-Pocket.jpg
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Thanks cogs......

Comment

You seem to have a problem with colloquial placenames in your birth city, which gets you into all sorts of pickles, isn't it time you consulted a map..... you see you will not find George's Pocket....but you will find George's Place.

Ask Bojangles next time he comes out to play.....he'll tell you...and he might even tell you how he knows all about George's Place.....he might even know why the locals called it 'The Pocket', although it seems quite obvious to me.lol.

George's Place was built around the same time as the church, the church was designed by, and most surrounding streets were laid out by Francis Johnston from 1802, who was living in Eccles Street at the time.
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
          Have no idea, but ... some pics.

[ATTACH]62807[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]62808[/ATTACH]
          looks like they were built in the 19th century when the builders would build one house, sell it and then build another with the profits......They varied as the builder got ''more money'' and could afford to add a few more embellishments....

Comment

As DTW says ,the" Pocket" was St Georges Place . My Grandfather bought Number 21 sometime in the 1910s . My Mother was born there in 1918 and lived there until she got married in the 1940s , where she moved across the road to a tenement in Hardwicke Street . After my Grandfather died ,our family . my Mothers' brother and her two sisters moved back in with their young families where we all lived until a CPO and demolition in 1963 . My Grandfather must have inherited a sitting tenant , because an old man called Spud Murphy also lived there . Each family got one big room , but as there was 10 of us in our family alone , space was tight . One outdoor toilet plus plenty of slop buckets catered for the ablutions of about 30 of us . You would think that our move out to Finglas would have been welcomed with all its luxuries , indoor plumbing bath etc , but the Ma always pined after the inner city ( or simply "Town" as we called it then ) .
            Last edited by bojangles; 23-10-2015, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
              As DTW says ,the" Pocket" was St Georges Place . My Grandfather bought Number 21 sometime in the 1910s . My Mother was born there in 1918 and lived there until she got married in the 1940s , where she moved across the road to a tenement in Hardwicke Street . After my Grandfather died ,our family . my Mothers' brother and her two sisters moved back in with their young families where we all lived until a CPO and demolition in 1963 . My Grandfather must have inherited a sitting tenant , because an old man called Spud Murphy also lived there . Each family got one big room , but as there was 10 of us in our family alone , space was tight . One outdoor toilet plus plenty of slop buckets catered for the ablutions of about 30 of us . You would think that our move out to Finglas would have been welcomed with all its luxuries , indoor plumbing bath etc , but the Ma always pined after the inner city ( or simply "Town" as we called it then ) .
              Thanks bo......

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                You seem to have a problem with colloquial placenames in your birth city, which gets you into all sorts of pickles, isn't it time you consulted a map..... you see you will not find George's Pocket....but you will find George's Place.

Ask Bojangles next time he comes out to play.....he'll tell you...and he might even tell you how he knows all about George's Place.....he might even know why the locals called it 'The Pocket', although it seems quite obvious to me.lol.

George's Place was built around the same time as the church, the church was designed by, and most surrounding streets were laid out by Francis Johnston from 1802, who was living in Eccles Street at the time.

LOL....I remember that bo did say he lived in 'Georges Pocket''....A bit confusing for a Japanese Tourist like yourself when Dubs use ''What it was known as'' names...

I had an uncle who had lived or had relations in ''Georges pocket'' in the 50's....He lived in Nth Summer street before he moved to England in the Late 40's.....His name was McCluskey....
                Last edited by quinner; 23-10-2015, 12:30 PM.

Comment

LOL....I remember that bo did say he lived in 'Georges Pocket''....A bit confusing for a Japanese Tourist like yourself when Dubs use ''What it was known as'' names...

I had an uncle who had lived or had relations in ''Georges pocket'' in the 50's....He lived in Nth Summer street before he moved to England in the Late 40's.....His name was McCluskey....
                  lol...As a child we used to stay at our Aunts house in Nth Summer Street during our ''Summer'' school Holidays.....

We went on a ''Summer'' Holiday.....LOL

Comment

lol...As a child we used to stay at our Aunts house in Nth Summer Street during our ''Summer'' school Holidays.....

We went on a ''Summer'' Holiday.....LOL
                    My grandad originally lived here before they moved to cabra their surname was ennis would you happen to know them?
                    you can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead;- laurel & hardy

Comment

Only problem with looking for a place on an official map with a colloquial name....is that you will not find it....funny ole thing that eh ?.....I wonder why... loo la ?.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by red68 View Post
                        My grandad originally lived here before they moved to cabra their surname was ennis would you happen to know them?
                        I replied to your query about Ennis HERE.
                        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                          Only problem with looking for a place on an official map with a colloquial name....is that you will not find it....funny ole thing that eh ?.....I wonder why... loo la ?.
                          Well dat got ridda him then......where was oi

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                            Very interesting Bo, we lived in a condemned basement in nth great Charles st, and were given a house in Finglas, the ma hated it, she was a city girl, raised in Grenville st. I myself would love to find out about my grandfathers family, he had two brothers who lived in Nerneys court( where is that?) they were called Terry and Henry Laffan, know that from the 1911 census, I believe Henry married and moved to Dorset street, I think they had children, but totally lost track there, any help would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                              Very interesting Bo, we lived in a condemned basement in nth great Charles st, and were given a house in Finglas, the ma hated it, she was a city girl, raised in Grenville st. I myself would love to find out about my grandfathers family, he had two brothers who lived in Nerneys court( where is that?) they were called Terry and Henry Laffan, know that from the 1911 census, I believe Henry married and moved to Dorset street, I think they had children, but totally lost track there, any help would be appreciated!
                              Remember the archway leading to Temple St hospital? That's Nerneys Court.

Have a look HERE and look around.
                              'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Working...
                              X