Fair Deal....what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair Deal....what is it?

Just been reading about the couple who were separated and i noticed something in reference to a fair deal? doesnt seem very fair to me to be honest but maybe ive got it wrong....

what i picked up was....a senior signs over his/her house, 20% of the cost remains theirs....but the other 80% goes towards a nursing home & treatment??? where is this fair? isnt this what the uproar was in england recently about....bleeding the seniors dry?

when my da was in the mater going back years ago they tried to do the same...and i had to go to court to stop it..they sure jumped on the bandwagon fast too...he was in hospital took me a week to realize he was there and get home...and in this week they started legal proceedings and guardianship over him.....when i sorted things out i discovered the plan was....send him to a nursing home associated to the mater...where whatever money for his house wouldnt last pissing time....then turf him out when the money was gone........is this the fair deal????

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
    Just been reading about the couple who were separated and i noticed something in reference to a fair deal? doesnt seem very fair to me to be honest but maybe ive got it wrong....

what i picked up was....a senior signs over his/her house, 20% of the cost remains theirs....but the other 80% goes towards a nursing home & treatment??? where is this fair? isnt this what the uproar was in england recently about....bleeding the seniors dry?

when my da was in the mater going back years ago they tried to do the same...and i had to go to court to stop it..they sure jumped on the bandwagon fast too...he was in hospital took me a week to realize he was there and get home...and in this week they started legal proceedings and guardianship over him.....when i sorted things out i discovered the plan was....send him to a nursing home associated to the mater...where whatever money for his house wouldnt last pissing time....then turf him out when the money was gone........is this the fair deal????
    Not England... The UK.......England is only part of the UK....Since 1997 we had had two Scots and two English prime Ministers......Now we are ruled by Northern Ireland.....LOL

Whatever you read was probably wrong.......It was put over at the run-up to the election as what it definitely was not.......It was not even fully explained as there was a lot of consultation to go through....Anyway, those with property would be better off than they had been under the present system..

Much the same as the fuel allowance......Millionaires aged Sixty get the fuel allowance.....Then they get is as Pensioners...Those who could not afford to lose it would not have lost it....But that was not the way it was put across by most of the Media.....

If you want to know what is going on in the UK.....Forget about the Media because it is mostly wrong.....

We are not all in a queue for food parcels...We waste enough food to feed Russia......
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

no this is in ireland quinner..and appears to have been effect for many years...

i dont know that the UK is ruled by Northern Ireland...but i do think the Involvement of what used to be a radical terrorist organization set up by a fecking out and out madman deffo has been handed a big slice..

Comment

no this is in ireland quinner..and appears to have been effect for many years...

i dont know that the UK is ruled by Northern Ireland...but i do think the Involvement of what used to be a radical terrorist organization set up by a fecking out and out madman deffo has been handed a big slice..
        LOL....When a vote is held in the Commons.....They can support it or run away.....

I believe the Party you speak of is long gone....Their leader is a victim rather than a perpetrator of violence......

The UK system only takes individual MP's votes...party arrangements get no consideration.......

That is why I personally think it is the best system.....

Comment

would you trust this involvement by this party.....i wouldnt...even less than your mad woman..

Comment

would you trust this involvement by this party.....i wouldnt...even less than your mad woman..
            I would have no problem with those that are elected to office......I trust Theresa May as I believe she is a True Brit......
            That does not mean I agree with their policies.......but in a democracy you get on with what you get.....

Comment

It's long term nursing home care and it's 80% of your income not your assets. Assets are charged at a lower rate. Here this might explain it better.

Citizens Information
              Financial Assessment
              The Financial Assessment looks at your income and assets in order to work out what your contribution to care will be. The HSE will then pay the balance of your cost of care. For example, if the cost of your care was €1,000 and your weekly contribution was €300, the HSE will pay the weekly balance of €700. This payment by the HSE is called State support.

The Financial Assessment looks at all of your income and assets.

In the case of a member of a couple, the assessment will be based on half of the couple’s combined income and assets.

Income and assets
              Income includes any earnings, pension income, social welfare benefits or allowances, rental income, income from holding an office or directorship, income from fees, commissions, dividends or interest, or any income which you have deprived yourself of in the 5 years leading up to your application.

An asset is any material property or wealth, including property or wealth outside of the State. Assets are divided into two distinct categories, namely cash assets and relevant assets.

Cash assets include savings, stocks, shares and securities. Relevant assets include all forms of property other than cash assets, for example a person’s principal residence or land. In both cases, the assessment will also look at assets that you have deprived yourself of since applying for State support or in the 5 years before the application.

The assessment will not take into account the income of other relatives such as your children.

Your contribution to care

Having looked at your income and assets, the Financial Assessment will work out your contribution to care. You will contribute:

80% of your income (less deductions below) and
              7.5% of the value of any assets per annum (5% if the application was made before 25 July 2013)
              However, the first €36,000 of your assets, or €72,000 for a couple, will not be counted at all in the Financial Assessment.

Where your assets include land and property, the 7.5% contribution based on such assets may be deferred and paid to Revenue after your death. This is known as the Nursing Home Loan. You can read more about the repayment of the Nursing Home Loan in the FAQs on the Nursing Homes Support Scheme (pdf).

Your principal residence will only be included in the financial assessment for the first 3 years of your time in care. This is known as the 22.5% or ‘three-year cap' (the cap is 15% for applications made before 25 July 2013). It means that you will pay a 7.5% contribution based on your principal residence for a maximum of 3 years regardless of the length of time you spend in nursing home care.

In the case of a couple, the contribution based on the principal residence will be capped at 11.25% (7.5% for applications before 25 July 2013) where one partner remains in the home while the other enters long-term nursing home care, that is, the ‘three-year cap’ applies. If you opt for the Nursing Home Loan in respect of your principal residence, your spouse or partner can also apply to have the repayment of the Loan deferred for their lifetime

If you have already been in a nursing home for 3 years when you apply for the scheme, then you do not pay the 7.5% on your principal residence.

After 3 years, even if you are still getting long-term nursing home care, you will not pay any further contribution based on the principal residence. This ‘three-year cap’ applies regardless of whether you choose to opt for the Nursing Home Loan or not.

All other assets will be taken into account for as long as you are in care.

The ‘three-year cap’ also extends to farms and businesses in certain circumstances.

There are safeguards built in to the Financial Assessment which ensure that:

Nobody will pay more than the actual cost of care
              You will keep a personal allowance of 20% of your income or 20% of the maximum rate of the State Pension (Non-Contributory), whichever is the greater
              If you have a spouse or partner remaining at home, they will be left with 50% of the couple’s income or the maximum rate of the State Pension (Non-Contributory), whichever is the greater
              A couple is defined as a married couple who are living together. It also includes a heterosexual or same-sex couple who are cohabiting as life partners for at least 3 years.
              Read More here for an overview.

Comment

Working...
              X