What now Katie Taylor.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What now Katie Taylor.?

Katie has done brilliantly to win Olympic gold, but will she be able to handle the weight of a nation, as she alone it seems is on a very high pedestal. It seems to me looking in from afar that she finds it hard being a celebrity. How much longer do you feel she will continue to box, and what will she do afterwards.?
    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Katie is thinking of turning professional but I hope she doesn't.At the moment I dont think theres a market here or in England for women pro boxers which means she would have to go to America to pursue a career in the pros.She has done it all as an amatuer so I guess its either retire or go professional,I hope she chooses the former.

Comment

i think she`d be better off pursuing a career outside the ring using her olympic and world titles as a c.v, like ronnie delaney and the rugby player tony o`reilly and others , it would also save her pretty face.
      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Considering the third world conditions she had to train in, she is a super star. If she wants to box, why not let her carry on? We have women footballers and I know its a far less controversial issue but it was some years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
          Considering the third world conditions she had to train in, she is a super star. If she wants to box, why not let her carry on? We have women footballers and I know its a far less controversial issue but it was some years ago
          She is a woman footballer too....

Comment

I went to Bray to welcome her home. I have been a fan of Katie for 5 years .... and regard her as the greatest sports star in the history of the state. She is very beautiful and I love the way she talks.

The press had no time for her for a long time ........ not because she was a woman ..... but because she is lower working class.... something she is proud of.

She pointed out that she lived in a council estate when she was interviewed on The Late Late Show. Also this is the reason why she chose to have her coming home celebration in Bray ....... where she was always appreciated.
            Attached Files
            "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Riposte I don't really get why Katie is in your opinion the greatest athlete in the state. Is it because of her unusual status as a world champion boxer.? I suppose we could do a thread on this. Who are the greatest Irish champions.? I wish her all the best out of the ring promoting positive messages especially to the youth. She is a very humble person it appears. Bear in mind that I only heard of Katie a year or so ago.

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                Riposte I don't really get why Katie is in your opinion the greatest athlete in the state. Is it because of her unusual status as a world champion boxer.? I suppose we could do a thread on this. Who are the greatest Irish champions.? I wish her all the best out of the ring promoting positive messages especially to the youth. She is a very humble person it appears. Bear in mind that I only heard of Katie a year or so ago.
                Yes Silver...... It's because she was World Champion 4 times ... who else could claim that?
                "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Rip I wouldnt agree with your contention about her being ignored by the press because of living in a council estate . You could say the same about Robbie and Roy Keane ,Richard Dunne and nearly every other footballer , Rory McElroy lived in a council house , as did Brendan O Carroll , Christy Dignam Phil Lynott and countless others , Alot of our boxers would fall into that category as well .

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                    Rip I wouldnt agree with your contention about her being ignored by the press because of living in a council estate . You could say the same about Robbie and Roy Keane ,Richard Dunne and nearly every other footballer , Rory McElroy lived in a council house , as did Brendan O Carroll , Christy Dignam Phil Lynott and countless others , Alot of our boxers would fall into that category as well .
                    She's not ignored by the media now ....... at some point the media is forced to accept people ....it would have been difficult for the media to ignore any of the above when they were being watched by millions on TV. I'm referring to the chattering classes ...... eg .... Marian Finucane is Rugby mad and gives over half her programme to discussing Rugby ...however insignificant the game.. but other sports hardly get a mention. But she is only one of many who have that attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by riposte View Post
                      I went to Bray to welcome her home. I have been a fan of Katie for 5 years .... and regard her as the greatest sports star in the history of the state. She is very beautiful and I love the way she talks.

The press had no time for her for a long time ........ not because she was a woman ..... but because she is lower working class.... something she is proud of.

She pointed out that she lived in a council estate when she was interviewed on The Late Late Show. Also this is the reason why she chose to have her coming home celebration in Bray ....... where she was always appreciated.
                      I disagree. I think that the press steered clear of what was a new sport to us...Womens Boxing...and only when Katie became a "contender" did they realise it was catching on with the public imagination. No point in wasting column inches if nobody interested in reading it as you of all people should realise Riposte. The fact of her origins, if anything, should have been a headline getter....against all the odds etc...

Comment

Originally posted by riposte View Post
                        She's not ignored by the media now ....... at some point the media is forced to accept people ....it would have been difficult for the media to ignore any of the above when they were being watched by millions on TV. I'm referring to the chattering classes ...... eg .... Marian Finucane is Rugby mad and gives over half her programme to discussing Rugby ...however insignificant the game.. but other sports hardly get a mention. But she is only one of many who have that attitude.
                        She is a brilliant person.

I saw a film in the cinema a few years ago about a woman boxer in America - the title was Million Dollar Baby, I even read the book - does anyone remember the name of the lead star in it?
                        Last edited by Suzieq; 17-09-2012, 01:18 PM. Reason: Remembered the film title.
                        UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
                          I disagree. I think that the press steered clear of what was a new sport to us...Womens Boxing...and only when Katie became a "contender" did they realise it was catching on with the public imagination. No point in wasting column inches if nobody interested in reading it as you of all people should realise Riposte. The fact of her origins, if anything, should have been a headline getter....against all the odds etc...
                          Hi! Womblemum ...... good to talk ..... yeah most people disagree with me on this ..... but I've been following her for 5 years and that's the judgement I came to.

Comment

Katie has been brilliant riposte, but in my opinion I hope she retires as boxing is the only sport I can think of that when you lose your title, most times you are forced to retire. There are a few exceptions of course. That is why I asked the question " What now Katie.".

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                              Katie has been brilliant riposte, but in my opinion I hope she retires as boxing is the only sport I can think of that when you lose your title, most times you are forced to retire. There are a few exceptions of course. That is why I asked the question " What now Katie.".
                              God.... Katie is a Born Again Christian AFAIK and she would be an ideal poster girl to help spread the word of God among the heathen Irish.

Comment

Working...
                              X