No announcement yet.

The Tenements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isnt it all relative though....you see the amount of food we dump out marie...nothing got thrown out in my house...me ma made pudding outa stale bread....left over everything got refried or heated and eaten..sour milk got baked with....i went thro my fridge this morning for use by dates and chucked out im sure what would have fed my mothers family for two weeks cos the dates were close to expiry................she couldnt afford to worry about expiry dates lol..clothes got ripped apart and remade into something someone wore.............and you wore your shoes with holes in them..youd stick in a piece of cardboard...............

Comment

i lived in a tenement in sean mcdermott street. and everything you said helen was same in my house. my mam pawned dads suit on monday and got it out on sat

Comment

Originally posted by mai View Post
        i lived in a tenement in sean mcdermott street. and everything you said helen was same in my house. my mam pawned dads suit on monday and got it out on sat
        I think our families might have used the same facility.... Rafters pawn office. "Tan shoes in brown paper, 5 shillings and the name is...?"
        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
          I think our families might have used the same facility.... Rafters pawn office. "Tan shoes in brown paper, 5 shillings and the name is...?"
          ours was o'brien...god knows why
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
            ours was o'brien...god knows why
            My gran used her maiden name.... never figured out why.

Comment

My gran used her maiden name.... never figured out why.
              strange that really...i had to go to winetavern street.....up and down the werburgh street and winetavern hills...cuffe street and clambrassil street were nearer

Comment

We stayed fairly local but apart from Rafters in Gardiner Street, the other two, Buckingham Street and the Great Northern in Amiens St both had back alley entrances where you could come and go with little chance of being seen.

Comment

We stayed fairly local but apart from Rafters in Gardiner Street, the other two, Buckingham Street and the Great Northern in Amiens St both had back alley entrances where you could come and go with little chance of being seen.
                  yes lol

Comment

I could pick out a few things from The Tenements that didn't look right.. they drank out of teacups.... no sign of 'tenement china' (jam jars).

In another part they show two men dragging a wooden pallet home for fuel. I wonder how far they'd got before a policeman had stopped them back then. I remember one of my uncles being sentenced to 7 days in Mountjoy after being stopped while struggling home with a wooden crate.

Comment

Lol I thought the very same.....they would not have gotten away with it...
                      It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
                        Lol I thought the very same.....they would not have gotten away with it...
                        What you did to get a fire lighting was to make a bed of paper or cardboard and cover that with a penny bundle of sticks.... and if you could afford a bit of coal so much the better.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                          maire i would love to hear more.....i bet laughter was a big part too...the lesson i learned was fantastic..it is getting me through this life...i laugh at people now when they say they need this and that...they just make poblems, we learned to solve them
                          Joe I hope we can meet one day and I will fill you im,I feel we have a lot in common.True we had a lot of laughs too,and I would not change one cotton pickin, thing,except for my Ma's worries about not know where the next meal was coming from to feed her Kids,while my Father was having the life of Riley in England.We made it Joe,That's what really counts.God bless our Mothers eh?Salt of the earth!

Comment

Marie, you could be telling my story. I lived in a tenement on Summerhill, later moving to reconditioned tenement in Lr Gardiner St.

I often went with my Granny to Empress Place to buy the hay, oh and my god the smell of that ddt is still in my nose. That stuff was banned after it was discovered it was killing us and a new one came on the market called 666.

The Tenements is not as accurate as I'd hoped it would be, it seems like the family they are depicting saw little or no hardships.

My wife live in a tenement in Nth Great Charles street too.... No 11 I think.... McLoughlin.

And years later Terry Kelly's became my local. It's a small world.
                            Rashers I knew you drank in Terry Kelly's .Yes it is a small world,smaller than you think,I will pm you about something we share.but didn't that make us better people really? And stronger too ,This is something nobody but those who have benn through will ever get.I remember reading about how the people in Ireland knocked Frank Mc Court over his book Angela's Ashes,they said that kind of stuff never happened i Ireland.What a load of bollicks,it did.I just thought how lucky he was to have a Dad.lolMy Dad buggered off to Birmingham after I was born,and we were told he had died,even by his family...nice people.we found out after my Mam had died,28 yrs later, He had been living around the corner from us in London.He only died 4-5 yrs ago. Many stories about those times.Will tell them all one day!Thank you for this thread Rashers,very cathartic,at least for me!

Comment

Rashers you made me lol.Went to pawn for my granny one time and the man said...blanket two pound, and the name is? I said Laffan.without missing a beat he sez you would be laffan if I gave you two pound on that!I was mortified!lol

Comment

We used Gardiner St Rashers the Man's name was Tommy,looked like Alfred Hitchcock.lol.But My Granny lived in Crumlin and used Clanbrasil street I hated going there,they guessed I wasn't 14!

Comment

Working...
                                X