Coveney responds to David Davis' 'statement of intent' comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coveney responds to David Davis' 'statement of intent' comment

The Tánaiste has responded to claims from Britain's Brexit secretary that the deal struck this week may not be legally binding.

More...

This Davis bloke seems to be an absolute twat. What a shambolic situation the UK has gotten itself into.

I think the Irish need to get firm confirmation that the deal is binding or else tell the Poms to fuck off.
    Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
      This Davis bloke seems to be an absolute twat. What a shambolic situation the UK has gotten itself into.
      The leave decision was the greatest political balls up in the UK in my lifetime.

I think the Irish need to get firm confirmation that the deal is binding or else tell the Poms to fuck off.
      Not a good move when you consider the UK is Irl's second largest export destination.....

Not only that....., if the UK did Foxtrot Oscar to other suppliers....it would have a major impact on the very large percentage of jobs directly dependent on the Irish exports to the UK.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Here's Ireland's exports table for 2016

Value Year
        United States $33.41B 2016
        United Kingdom $16.54B 2016
        Belgium $16.25B 2016
        Germany $8.67B 2016
        Switzerland $6.99B 2016
        Netherlands $6.53B 2016
        France $5.54B 2016
        China $3.38B 2016
        Spain $3.26B 2016
        Japan $3.19B 2016
        Italy $2.65B 2016
        Australia $1.63B 2016
        Israel $1.63B 2016
        Poland $1.53B 2016
        Mexico $1.50B 2016
        Canada $1.04B 2016
        South Korea $1.03B 2016
        Saudi Arabia $907.51M 2016
        Sweden $866.61M 2016
        Hong Kong $725.72M 2016
        Denmark $675.98M 2016
        Singapore $655.41M 2016
        Turkey $571.11M 2016
        Portugal $461.66M 2016
        United Arab Emirates $425.20M
        Last edited by bojangles; 11-12-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

The UKs exports to Ireland are about $24 billion , a large surplus and a not insignificant amount so it wouldn't be in their interest to have an economical war with us either .

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
            The UKs exports to Ireland are about $24 billion , a large surplus and a not insignificant amount so it wouldn't be in their interest to have an economical war with us either .
            It wouldn't be an economic war just with Ireland but with the 27. If the UK exits without an agreement the City of London will be devastated financially with no trading or settlement with the EU financial system. That's before you get to the manufacturing sector. Who's going to subsidise NI farmers when EU money disappears?
            Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Coming soon: KatieMorag responds to Boxman's "Tell the Poms to fuck off" comment.........

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                Coming soon: KatieMorag responds to Boxman's "Tell the Poms to fuck off" comment.........
                That should be good but if you wait until tomorrow it might be better because Quinner might be back LOL

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post
                  That should be good but if you wait until tomorrow it might be better because Quinner might be back LOL
                  yeah i'd better get in before him!

Comment

No of course it wouldn't and I wouldn't argue that point. But with 30% + of all jobs depending on the UK trade....I'm wondering who'd come off worse. Not forgetting if we are to believe some =

It is impossible to overstate the importance of the British transit route: Some 80 percent of the Irish road freight that reaches mainland Europe passes through the U.K.

“Ireland is reliant on that accessibility to the U.K. more than any other country in Europe,” said Aidan Flynn, a manager at Freight Transport Association Ireland.

Britain is itself a crucial export market for Ireland, buying a total of €15 billion worth of goods last year as well as buying half of the country’s exported beef and 42 percent of its food and drink.

But continental markets are far more valuable to Irish exporters, with €45 billion-worth heading to the EU26, according to Ireland’s Central Statistics Office.
                    If policymakers fail to find an imaginative way to have frictionless trade — something the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier already warned is impossible — Ireland risks turning into a costly hinterland like Iceland, reliant on infrequent, lengthy ferry connections that bypass the U.K.
                    I think there are lots of good reasons why both .....particularly the smaller economy should not make waves.....

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post
                      Yeah buh ony for 5 minutes....berrer be quick.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                        No of course it wouldn't and I wouldn't argue that point. But with 30% + of all jobs depending on the UK trade....I'm wondering who'd come off worse. Not forgetting if we are to believe some =

I think there are lots of good reasons why both .....particularly the smaller economy should not make waves.....
                        The smaller economy being the UK in this instance .Dont forget , Ireland would not be unilaterally getting involved in a trade war with the UK . It would be an EU action more likely . If Irish and EU trucks were prevented from using GBs roads for transporting , that would probably be reciprocated in the use of UK trucks in Mainland Europe .
                        Its ridiculous to think that any of this would come about in any shape or form , but its a great consolation for us to belong to a big club like the EU who would act as a a deterrent in the event of GB flexing its muscles .

Comment

Now I'm reading that this border 'agreement' is not legally binding. Why any Irish Prime Minister would trust any Tory politician is beyond me. Will they never learn?
                          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

The smaller economy being the UK in this instance .Dont forget , Ireland would not be unilaterally getting involved in a trade war with the UK . It would be an EU action more likely . If Irish and EU trucks were prevented from using GBs roads for transporting , that would probably be reciprocated in the use of UK trucks in Mainland Europe .
                            Its ridiculous to think that any of this would come about in any shape or form , but its a great consolation for us to belong to a big club like the EU who would act as a a deterrent in the event of GB flexing its muscles .
                            HaHa.....When it comes down to where the buyer spends money....it will always be down to the buyer......No need for Brit trucks in Europe if its cutains.........:-) Irish trucks welcome at a price.......still cheaper than goin round the long way :-)

Comment

The EU should not try to “beat the U.K. into submission” there would be a big price to pay by all 28 states if this were to happen. Anyway I can’t see the Brits allowing this. I don’t think GB will stand alone either, they have their Commonwealth.
                              I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                              Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Working...
                              X