This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    Might be worth searching any available Passenger Lists for both Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead and Dublin - Liverpool for round about the period you think they left Dublin.
    Kew might be a good place to start http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

I think Ancestry.com have no more than duplicates of the Kew records, but ye never know. Best of Luck.
    noel,

I don`t think that there were any passenger lists kept for travellers to and from England as far as I know , I remember you could just purchase a ticket at the office [or ship] and just roll up. maybe the airlines were different , but the boats were the cheaper route for most. ...maybe it might be worth a try in the various irish clubs and pubs in the area that they were known to have settled in, 50 odd years is still in a lot of peoples memories[for now].
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
      Pat do you know the date for the over fifties Genealogy Show? thanks
      Good oul Google
      The 50 Plus Show is Ireland’s only dedicated national consumer event for older people. Launched in 1999 to coincide with the International Year Of Older Persons – the event is now run all over Ireland with 20,000 people and 400 exhibitors attending all our events in 2019 Who Is The Show For? The 50 Plus
      Attached Files
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
        noel,

I don`t think that there were any passenger lists kept for travellers to and from England as far as I know , I remember you could just purchase a ticket at the office [or ship] and just roll up. maybe the airlines were different , but the boats were the cheaper route for most. ...maybe it might be worth a try in the various irish clubs and pubs in the area that they were known to have settled in, 50 odd years is still in a lot of peoples memories[for now].
        You're right Cos..... a closer look says no lists were kept as it was regarded as internal travel up to 1922. From Ireland to everywhere else in the world maybe but UK no. This might help all those who are still on the trail.
        An overview of Irish immigration to Britain: the how, why, when and where of emigration from Ireland to its bigger neighbour.

Comment

You're right Cos..... a closer look says no lists were kept as it was regarded as internal travel up to 1922. From Ireland to everywhere else in the world maybe but UK no. This might help all those who are still on the trail.
          http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.c...o-Britain.html
          I have heard somebody mention that passenger lists were for travelling to international borders where passports were required.....
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Monks View Post
            Have no answer for you Mike but some questions. How do you know she worked in the hospital and nursing home ?How did you come across the Bridget Lyons name and how do you know this Bridget lived at Chamber Street ? From where did you get the 40 Catherine and Kathleen Lyons ? How do you know they moved to Blackpool ? Do you know her partners name ?
            These questions come from my notion you have a fair amount of info and within grasp of a solution.
            Thanks for the replies. I managed to get my original adoption file and it listed the nursing home where she worked as her place of residence too. I later managed to contact some of the people who knew her there. They were able to tell me she had previously worked in the other hospital in Rochestown Avenue.
            I got the name Bridget Lyons by searching for births in the time frame (she was aged somewhere between 24 and 36 at the time of my birth) and one that was in Dublin south was that one, and it also fitted in with what I had heard about her - that she herself had been brought up in an orphanage. But I could be wrong, and I have no way of knowing which is the correct one.

I don't know her partners name - I did a dna test, but it only showed up a lot of distant cousins and no immediatly clear links. The information about them moving to Blackpool came from people who knew them back in the 1960's.

I'm hopeful that someday, a closer relative will do a dna test and I'll find my mysterious family that way , or that someone someday will be searching too from the other side and stumble accross my posts in various web forums.

Comment

Interested in Vico2's ancestors as mentioned in another thread.....would love te hear the whole Leverey story....and no better place to put it.........if yer out there V2 ??????

Comment

Interested in Vico2's ancestors as mentioned in another thread.....would love te hear the whole Leverey story....and no better place to put it.........if yer out there V2 ??????
                Happy to oblige DTW if people won't be bored by it. Some of this information is also available on the web.

In the beginning (like the bible) there was a violinist called Richard Michael O'Shaughnessy. His father Richard was a famous piper. Richard Michael entered a competition in the UK when he was in his teens. He was asked his name. When he said Richard Michael O'Shaughnessy, the clerk said "O whatensy" Richard repeated his name. The clerk advised that he would never make progress with a name that could not be easily pronounced and asked what his mother's maiden name was. Richard replied "Levey" Right then from now on you will be known as R M Levey. That is how it all started.

He won many competitions and was the first person to compile and arrange several Irish tunes into one book. It was published by Waltons, but nowadays can only be purchased on Amazon.

As a teenager he became the Manager and Leader of the orchestra in the Theatre Royal in Dublin, a post which he held for many years. He also taught music. He was a founder member of the Royal Irish Academy. They have a picture of him hanging up in the hallway. This is where he met his second wife, Julia Cruise. Julia was a singer and pianist, she was a Professor of Music, which was a rare achievement for a woman in those days.

He was married four times, twice to the one person Eleanore Evans, then Julia Cruise and lastly Elizabeth Ledwidge. All of his wives were musicians. He had lots of children about nineteen mostly by his first wife. They had a few sets of twins and triplets. All of their children became musicians and taught and/or performed music.

Second episode tomorrow, if people are interested. They can let me know, if they are not

Comment

Happy to oblige DTW if people won't be bored by it. Some of this information is also available on the web.

In the beginning (like the bible) there was a violinist called Richard Michael O'Shaughnessy. His father Richard was a famous piper. Richard Michael entered a competition in the UK when he was in his teens. He was asked his name. When he said Richard Michael O'Shaughnessy, the clerk said "O whatensy" Richard repeated his name. The clerk advised that he would never make progress with a name that could not be easily pronounced and asked what his mother's maiden name was. Richard replied "Levey" Right then from now on you will be known as R M Levey. That is how it all started.

He won many competitions and was the first person to compile and arrange several Irish tunes into one book. It was published by Waltons, but nowadays can only be purchased on Amazon.

As a teenager he became the Manager and Leader of the orchestra in the Theatre Royal in Dublin, a post which he held for many years. He also taught music. He was a founder member of the Royal Irish Academy. They have a picture of him hanging up in the hallway. This is where he met his second wife, Julia Cruise. Julia was a singer and pianist, she was a Professor of Music, which was a rare achievement for a woman in those days.

He was married four times, twice to the one person Eleanore Evans, then Julia Cruise and lastly Elizabeth Ledwidge. All of his wives were musicians. He had lots of children about nineteen mostly by his first wife. They had a few sets of twins and triplets. All of their children became musicians and taught and/or performed music.

Second episode tomorrow, if people are interested. They can let me know, if they are not
                  No...gowan its great stuff.....most unusual story .....and if anyone is researching him or them then its documented here.....so win win. Look fwd to part 2 tmorra.

Comment

Dont forget Part 2

Comment

Dont forget Part 2
                      I won't. I will do it tonight. In doing this I have to acknowledge the help I had from a Forum member in researching information on the Levey family. I am not mentioning the name in case it causes him embarrassment. However, if he is looking in and feels ok about my putting up his name, then I hope he will let me know. Thank you again for all your help.

Comment

I won't. I will do it tonight. In doing this I have to acknowledge the help I had from a Forum member in researching information on the Levey family. I am not mentioning the name in case it causes him embarrassment. However, if he is looking in and feels ok about my putting up his name, then I hope he will let me know. Thank you again for all your help.
                        Ahh grand, look forward to it.... I see he gets a part in the book SHAW here = https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...dublin&f=false

Comment

Ok part two coming up.

In 1832 (I don't have the exact date) Richard Michael married Eleanor Evans in St Andrew's Church in Westland Row. Then on 2nd March 1833 he married her again in the Pro Cathedral. I don't know the exact reason for this but I am assuming that at the time of his first marriage he had not actually legally changed his name, but married in the name of Levey. If so, the marriage would not have been valid, so they had to do it all again. Ellen, his wife was a very accomplished singer. She sang mostly opera and was well known and respected for her performance.

Ellen was born in Dublin and baptised on 7th July 1809 in St Catherine's Church, Meath Street. Unfortunately I don't have her birth date or information on her family except that he father was Joseph Evans and her mother was Jane Mullen. The Leveys had quite a few children, very difficult to track as some of them were born outside of Ireland.

The Leveys were friendly with Michael Balfe (of I dreamt I dwelt in Marble Halls fame) and his wife Lina who was a Hungarian opera singer. She was godmother for a few of the Levey children. Many people don't know that Balfe was a singer as well as a composer, and sang in his own operas.

The Freeman's Journal reported the birth of the first Levey child in 1833. The wording is a hoot by our standards "the lady of Mr Richard Levey, of the Theatre Royal, ok a daughter". Mary may have died as a baby as no further information could be found on her at all.

The following year, their first son was born, Richard Michael junior, christened in St Andrew's church, Westland Row. Unfortunately the child died in 1835, the year after his birth.

On 25th April 1837 William Charles Levey was born. He was a twin, the other twin was called after his father and dead brother, Richard Michael. That practice was quite common in those days.

William Charles studied violin with his father and then in Paris. He was, for some years, musical director the Drury Lane, Covent Garden and Adelphi Theatres. His operettas Franchette and Punchinello were performed in Covent Garden in 1864. He also wrote music for the production of Anthony and Cleopatra, a Triumphant March composed for the Dublin International Exhibition of 1865 The Man of War and many others.

In 1866 William Charles was living in 12 Waltham Terrace, Blackrock, probably with his sister Emma. He and Emma performed together quite a lot. Here is where it gets more interesting. Emma was married to Henry Cruise, who in turn was a brother of Julia Cruise, R M Senior's second wife. So R M senior, was Henry's father in law and brother in law all at the same time.

That is all for tonight, more tomorrow if people are still interested.

Comment

I googled michael levey yesterday after reading your post Vico and there was quite a bit on Ancestry.com and someone mentioned the name was originally "Leavy" but it was written down wrong. Just thought I'd add that in case anyone was researching Leavys........

Comment

Originally posted by Mikemahon View Post
                              Hi, Its my first post here. I am adopted and have been searching for any information on my original parents - my mother was a lady called Kitty Lyons and shehad been living and working in Dun Laoghaire in the mid 1960's. I was born in May 1967 and she was somewhere between 25 and 36 at the time of my birth. I don't know where she came from before my birth, though she had previously worked in the Our Lady Of Lourdes Hospital in Rochestown Avenue Dun Laoghaire. She then went to work in a private nursing home on Corrig Avenue in Dun Laoghaire.
                              There is a possibility that she was the daughter of a Bridget Lyons who lived at 29 Chamber Street in the Liberties. (though this might be not the correct person). Without her exact date of birth I can't tell which of the aproximatly 40 Catherine or Kathleen Lyons might be her.

After my birth , her and her partner (my father) left Ireland and aparently moved to Blackpool in England. Though I have not managed to find any record of them there.

So just posting here in case anyone recognises them from the small bit of information I have. Thanks
                              There is a great facebook page called AUSSIE & UK ANGELS - reuniting lost relatives and friends. If your on facebook join the group, give them as much info up front as you have (saves a lot of going back and forward with questions) and if the inf is there they will help you. They helped me within 12 hours and another whom I recommended to the site within 9 hours reconnect with relatives missing since 1960's. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                                I googled michael levey yesterday after reading your post Vico and there was quite a bit on Ancestry.com and someone mentioned the name was originally "Leavy" but it was written down wrong. Just thought I'd add that in case anyone was researching Leavys........
                                I was aware of that Katie, but I have seen it with both spelling in old documents. R M's first cousin was Eliza Victoria Levey, her parents were John Levey and Mary Ann Lavender. So I'm going with that, but thanks for getting in touch on that

Comment

Working...
                                X