I Daniel Blake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Daniel Blake

I just watched I Daniel Blake, and it is a very sad indicement on the english social system. It begins with some hardened bureaucrat asking him stupid questions, such as can you put your hat on, can you dial your keypad etc, and him having worked all his life before having a heart attack. What was to follow was a receipe for a persons early death either by their own hand or through being destitute. In Australia you are also required to seek work on a number of occasions, you just have to say which ones, and if I remember rightly, supply name of business & phone number. The sad fact is there are not enough jobs to go round. In Daniels case he was about to get a job, but had to tell the employer he could not work. Then the end of the film proves to be the straw that broke him.Daniel was a great character which I imagine many are in his situation.I was on the dole for a few weeks when I went back to live in Dublin in 84 and I didn't have to grovel like Daniel, but I hated it, as I had worked steadily back in Oz, and had never been on the dole before I left for Oz.
    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

is it fiction tony?? must look and see if i can find it online...when i had my first heart issues here..i was working at the time..but out on sick benefits for a couple of weeks..i was approved for 3 months of them..but went back to work after 5 weeks..i could have stayed off forever on a disability pension...but i think it depends too on how you feel ...and your job..i was able easily to go back working and i preferred it...

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
      I just watched I Daniel Blake, and it is a very sad indicement on the english social system. It begins with some hardened bureaucrat asking him stupid questions, such as can you put your hat on, can you dial your keypad etc, and him having worked all his life before having a heart attack. What was to follow was a receipe for a persons early death either by their own hand or through being destitute. In Australia you are also required to seek work on a number of occasions, you just have to say which ones, and if I remember rightly, supply name of business & phone number. The sad fact is there are not enough jobs to go round. In Daniels case he was about to get a job, but had to tell the employer he could not work. Then the end of the film proves to be the straw that broke him.Daniel was a great character which I imagine many are in his situation.I was on the dole for a few weeks when I went back to live in Dublin in 84 and I didn't have to grovel like Daniel, but I hated it, as I had worked steadily back in Oz, and had never been on the dole before I left for Oz.
      True or not I have no idea......It is a Doctors job to say whether you are fit to work or not......If you take sick you get a certificate and when you are fit the Doctors gives you another certificate to say so.....

my last few months before I retired I was struggling, mainly tiredness as I was struggling to climb stairs etc.......I went to the Doctor and asked for a certificate as I was tired.....I got one for three weeks.......I rang the Firm and told them that I was tired and having time off sick.......The Boss asked me when my birthday was (my retirement date).....I told him and he said he would write in the Office diary that I was off sick until that date....I returned to the Doctor after three weeks and go another cert.for the extra five weeks until my birthday......during those eight weeks I was paid statuary sick-pay plus full weekly wages by the company......

Ten weeks later they came and collected my Company vehicle....Gave me a new sim-card and took the Company one...They told me to keep the Company phone I had and told me I could keep the vehicle for another month if I needed it.......

The Manager and his secretary then took us out for a nice meal.....

The were bot from the Cardiff office......I have only worked for the Cardiff office for the previous few months, as they had closed down the Bristol office where I had previously been employed.......

I had worked for that Company for just under six years.....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

You lucked out with that company quinner they were clearly a great company to work for.....

dont find many jobs like that these days here specially

Comment

Helen it is fiction based on fact...he was off work because of a heart problem but the system would not accept his two doctors findings. I just remembered it must be true to many countries inc Canada, Australia, Ireland etc.Some people have no problem getting a disability cert, but in Australia I have heard of cases where people are put through the wringer. Here if you miss an appointment you can very easily miss out on payments. My point was that people who work hard all their lives, and suddenly need help find it hard going, where as many are on welfare from cradle to the grave. Helen try and get a copy, I got mine from the library, or you can get it your pay TV.

Comment

Helen it is fiction based on fact...he was off work because of a heart problem but the system would not accept his two doctors findings. I just remembered it must be true to many countries inc Canada, Australia, Ireland etc.Some people have no problem getting a disability cert, but in Australia I have heard of cases where people are put through the wringer. Here if you miss an appointment you can very easily miss out on payments. My point was that people who work hard all their lives, and suddenly need help find it hard going, where as many are on welfare from cradle to the grave. Helen try and get a copy, I got mine from the library, or you can get it your pay TV.
            I have no reason to doubt the man's story.......the ''system is overflowing''....

I doubt they will make a Movie about the family who was getting two and a half thousand pounds each month in housing benefit........
            Last edited by quinner; 26-08-2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
              I have no reason to doubt the man's story.......the ''system is overflowing''....

I doubt they will make a Movie about the family who was getting two and a half thousand pounds each month in housing benefit........
              I bet they are a muslim family maybe three wives to boot.

Comment

I bet they are a muslim family maybe three wives to boot.
                lolo...no idea, they
                had not long arrived in the UK.....

One woman got 68 thousand a year in housing benefit.........

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                  lolo...no idea, they
                  had not long arrived in the UK.....

One woman got 68 thousand a year in housing benefit.........
                  The system works for some but not for others........

Utopia for years and years.....Many Irish people have had a great life in the UK.......Living off benefits.....

Comment

Working...
                  X