Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The story about the making of the documentary you've just watched.

Hang Up Your Brightest Colours is a 1973 film by Welsh actor and filmmaker Kenneth Griffith, about the life and death of Irish Republican leader Michael Collins. It was directed by Antony Thomas.

Although usually classed as a documentary, the film more closely resembles a dramatic monologue, with Griffith frequently delivering quotes by key figures such as David Lloyd George, Winston Churchill, and Collins himself "in character."

The film was commissioned by media mogul Lew Grade for transmission by ATV, the ITV region covering the Midlands he controlled at the time. Grade had, in fact, offered to fund whatever subject Griffith wanted to make, but when he viewed the finished film, he refused to show it. In his memoirs, Griffith claimed that Grade was unofficially instructed not to offer the film to the IBA for network transmission, so that the Association would not have to reject it and therefore be accused of political censorship. Griffith took legal action, received an out-of-court settlement and built his home - Michael Collins House - in Islington with the proceeds.

The film has been described as, "finest of all (of Griffith's) drama-docs," and, "more courageous and incendiary than the later Neil Jordan movie." It was first broadcast on BBC One in Wales only in 1993, and networked across the United Kingdom by BBC Two the following year.

Info from HERE

Further infomation HERE

Comment

Hang Up Your Brightest Colours

Rashers, wonderful, if not a bit over dramatised. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie especially as I had never seen it before. I can see why it was refused publication back in the '70's .... was it ever shown on RTE ?

Keep up the good work ....... do ye ever sleep ?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
              Rashers, wonderful, if not a bit over dramatised. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie especially as I had never seen it before. I can see why it was refused publication back in the '70's .... was it ever shown on RTE ?

Keep up the good work ....... do ye ever sleep ?
              Kenneth Griffith, a Welshman became a big admirer of Michael Collins after reading of the 'Troubles' here. He almost lost his job with the big tv companies more than once and even named his house after the Big Fella.

I don't think it was ever shown on RTE.

I sleep as little as possible.

Comment

Collins and Boland Hurling
                Attached Files
                They are watching me

Comment

Originally posted by Harolds X girl View Post
                  Collins and Boland Hurling
                  Great photo HXG
                  Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Sad day for Ireland
                    Attached Files
                    They are watching me

Comment

Originally posted by Harolds X girl View Post
                      Sad day for Ireland
                      A sad day indeed I suppose you could say a catastrophic day because of the repercussions of the event. Had Collins lived I doubt if the country would have gone through the turmoil that it did.
                      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Some yiv seen and some yiv not !
                        Attached Files
                        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Again.
                          Attached Files
                          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

"Don’t let them make you miserable about it: how could a born soldier die better than at the victorious end of a good fight, falling to the shot of another Irishman—a damned fool, but all the same an Irishman who thought he was fighting for Ireland—‘A Roman to Roman’? I met Michael for the first and last time on Saturday last, and am very glad I did. I rejoice in his memory, and will not be so disloyal to it as to snivel over his valiant death. So tear up your mourning and hang up your brightest colours in his honour; and let us all praise God that he did not die in a snuffy bed of a trumpery cough, weakened by age, and saddened by the disappointments that would have attended his work had he lived"

George Bernard Shaw in a letter to Michael's sister Hannie
                            Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

The Laughing Boy
                              by Brendan Behan

T'was on an August morning, all in the dawning hours,
                              I went to take the warming air, all in the Mouth of Flowers,
                              And there I saw a maiden, and mournful was her cry,
                              'Ah what will mend my broken heart, I've lost my Laughing Boy.

So strong, so wild and brave he was, I'll mourn his loss too sore,
                              When thinking that I'll hear the laugh or springing step no more.
                              Ah, cure the times and sad the loss my heart to crucify,
                              That an irish son with a rebel gun shot down my Laughing Boy.

Oh had he died by Pearse's side or in the GPO,
                              Killed by an English bullet from the rifle of the foe,
                              Or forcibly fed with Ashe lay dead in the dungeons of Mountjoy,
                              I'd have cried with pride for the way he died, my own dear Laughing Boy.

My princely love, can ageless love do more than tell to you,
                              Go raibh maith agat for all you tried to do,
                              For all you did, and would have done, my enemies to destroy,
                              I'll mourn your name and praise your fame, forever, my Laughing Boy.

Attached Files
                              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

A short clip from The Treaty. (the REAL Michael Collins movie)

Comment

Working...
                                X