No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and why would they not. I remember a Crumlin that often had fourteen children in a family, You would wonder how they managed to sleep at night. My own parents had seven so nine in family. Dad slept with the boys Mam with the girls

Looking back their only time together alone was on Sunday afternoon when we all went to the Pictures as we called them then.

Yet I remember the excitement of each baby and how it was welcomed and By the time my late Mam died at an early age, all seven of us had bought our own homes which were much more opulent then our humble beginnings,

They were so proud of us and we of them. Even in the fourteen children families all were well cared for and well dressed and Crumlin was like a village were everyone was your parent. Everyone cheered you on when you were in sport or other activites.

In Later years if you met anyone from Crumlin they would always know how you were from the Crumlin grapevine . My father sold our house in Crumlin in 1981 and he got the sum of seventeen thousand pounds for it. Today the sell for almost three hundred thousand.

Most of the original families are long gone and Crumlin has the same kind of resident as any other estate. So voting for Abortion on a large scale was to be expected

Comment

• Originally posted by liam
      Hi Anyone remember Floods Pub .
      Yes Liam it’s now called the four roads

Comment

• Originally posted by liam
        Hi Anyone remember Floods Pub .
        Where is Floods pub

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
          Where is Floods pub
          I think it was on Old County Rd.
          I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
          Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
            I think it was on Old County Rd.
            Thanks Jembo. I do remember a Floods corner in Terenure where the road divides for Templeogue. I was told that the name came from the fact that the pub there once belonged a family called Flood.

Comment

• Leicester house Crumlin 1920
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                Where is Floods pub
                It was on the corner of Sundrive road

Comment

• Yes Rasher I do remember it well Many photos of it up on this forum its now called the Four Roads just as rasher said
                  Attached Files

Comment

• On a day such as today when the sun shone brightly after the over the hedges conversation one mammy would declare her intention of taking her kids to Sandymount, Soon everyone elses kids would hang around her kids until she decided to bring as many as she could.

A quick run in to your mammy for busfare and a lunch and to see what was available in swimwear and off you went. One or two ladies with a pram full of stuff like a primus stove a kettle most important and a battered teapot.

a string of kids in their wake all heading for the bus, I am not sure but I think it was the number 3 and we got out at Sandymount tower. The smell of the sea was strong and no matter how warm the day there was always a sea breeze.

A quick look around for a suitable spot, kettle and tea pot taken out and one lady setting up the primus stove to get the tea made. Kids all looking to get into the water as quickly as they could.

It was a very joyous occasion, Now living quite close to the beach I take it for granted but then it was the most pleasant sight of all

There was no suncream and we often got very burned but somehow going home was sad we just hoped the next day would bring something similar.

One day my mam and her sisters decided to make the trip. twenty four kids with them. My aunt kept going out to the water to make sure we were okay but she missed me. I had wandered up until I could no longer find my way back, I started to fret and a lady bade me sit with her and she would find my Mam,

She didn't bother her arse and it seemed like nightfall and we were only a few on the beach when she went to hand me to a coastguard, But before she did my Mam visably upset came running up to me and Jees I never got such hugs, we were not a huggy family. My dad had been sent for, the police were searching the water, But my Mam said she was sitting on the wall until my body was washed up on the shore.

Meanwhile, in Crumlin the news had gone around that I was drowned and my Granny was overwhelmed with neighbours giving their comiserations, After that night I was banned from going to Sandymount for a very long time.

A few weeks later another lovely day but nobody wanting to go to Sandymount, Mam thought a stroll to Harolds Cross would be nice. So off we went dad came also.

My Mam was busy sorting out the sandwiches when I spotted the pond and within three minutes I was in it lol! lucklily some brave boy pulled me out, I remember going up and down,

I had to be stripped and dressed in my mams blouse, I was put in the pram as my dad carried the then baby.

All my Friends laughed when they saw me in the pram and I was mortified,

That finished our trips to anywhere there was water. I never learned to swim although I had great tuition and my Late Husband a wonderful swimmer tried hard to teach me. But once my face hit the water panicked I had too many bad memories ,

Worse one of all with my dad in Killiney a year or so earlier but thats another story
                    Last edited by joan mack; 31-05-2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• A couple of old ones
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by archangel View Post
                        A couple of old ones
                        Archangel where would the gaol be in relation to where the man is standing, would it be behind him, or to the left or right. I am just trying to picture it. Also that wall looks like it might be a bridge, do you know if it is. Thanks

Comment

• Sorry, Vico, Apart from the Jail. I did not know that area well at all. I left Ireland before i was 16 only to return for visits, Is that not the Jail behind the white cottages, ?
                          Last edited by archangel; 03-06-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by archangel View Post
                            Sorry, Vico, Apart from the Jail. I did not know that area well at all. I left Ireland before i was 16 only to return for visits, Is that not the Jail behind the white cottages, ?
                            I don't know Archangel, I am confused. The background is not that clear. It doesn't look like the gaol, but I am not sure at all.

I worked in the courthouse beside the gaol in the 1960s and I am trying to figure out the direction. If the gaol is behind the cottages, the the man is on the High Road, but then the bridge should not be there. Either way I am flumoxed.

Hopefully if John Doran is looking in, he can put us both right. John can you set us right please. thanks

Comment

• I would not recognise any of the above pictures although I did frequent Kilmainham often, Every Saturday I would set off with with a bag of books for the Kilmainham Library,

I think in those days you were only allowed one fiction and three non fiction so I got some in my Dad's name so I could have at least two fiction.

They were usually heavy hardbacks no paperbacks in libraries then. When I had read my two fiction I also read the non fiction so I read about Jack Dempsey Jack Doyle and many other people my dad would remember.

I remember I could read from age five which surprised my teachers. One day when I was seven a nun sent in for me to read recipes for a cooking class for seven year olds who were having a cooking lesson and they could not read

I did well until I came to the word mouldy, Now in our home that word was pronounced moulgy and I pronounced it like that and the nun went ballistic she bashed me about on the head with her hands and banished me from the class who were laughing hysterically, I never forgot that day and I will never mispronounce mouldy again lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
                                I would not recognise any of the above pictures although I did frequent Kilmainham often, Every Saturday I would set off with with a bag of books for the Kilmainham Library,

I think in those days you were only allowed one fiction and three non fiction so I got some in my Dad's name so I could have at least two fiction.

They were usually heavy hardbacks no paperbacks in libraries then. When I had read my two fiction I also read the non fiction so I read about Jack Dempsey Jack Doyle and many other people my dad would remember.

I remember I could read from age five which surprised my teachers. One day when I was seven a nun sent in for me to read recipes for a cooking class for seven year olds who were having a cooking lesson and they could not read

I did well until I came to the word mouldy, Now in our home that word was pronounced moulgy and I pronounced it like that and the nun went ballistic she bashed me about on the head with her hands and banished me from the class who were laughing hysterically, I never forgot that day and I will never mispronounce mouldy again lol!

The Library was on Emmet Road Joan, which runs parallel to the road where the courthouse and the gaol are. But I don't think it makes much difference as this picture is so old, it is difficult to figure out exactly what is where.

Comment

Working...
                                X