The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
    Sounds a bit like my Hot Press Vico. Clothes all ironed and heaped uip but open the door suddenly and you could be buried alive under duvets and sheets I have inherited from my Kids last homes,

Don't mention the Glory Hole where the gas meter is lol!
    Ah Joan,back in the 50tys I lived in 287 Kildare Rd, the Kings, had pigs in the plots behind us, next door Johnny Muhall, had hens, and across,in the cottages the wards had live stock also, I use to get a halfpenny to bring the skins of the potatoes over.

Comment

• Well Brian we had no animals on Downpatrick Road, We did have orchards one garden full of apple trees no room to walk around it,

A halfpenny could buy you two honey bee or four nancy balls as we called them (aniseed balls) In fact you could get a lot with a halfpenny,

Was it called a Make?? I know a penny was called a Wing

My friends would keep their makes and pennies in their shoes and bang them out when needed, I hate to see my Grandkids with money at their mouth, I am reminded of those days

Comment

• Joan you were done, we could get ten nancy balls for a penny in our local shop

Comment

• Yes Vico but we are talking about a halfpenny so I would only be done out of one nancy ball lol

You could also get a marshmallow pie like a cone, I hated them Or a chocolate mouse, Or a Half of liquorice stick, If you brought back and empty lemonade bottle you would get a halfpenny at that time.

When my boys were growing up they got two pence on them. If I brought them to Sandymount they spent the day collecting bottles and making up their money on the bus going home.

I had great peace as they spent the day working away lol!

Comment

• This is a shop on Old County Road Crumlin. It looks derelict and all blocked up.

I never remember a shop on Old County Road derelict they all seemed to be busy.

I am trying to find out where this shop was it looks quite small so Maybe Margie Bluebells but there is a shop beside and I don't think there was a shop beside Margie Bluebells

Comment

• This shop Old County Road Dublin 12
              Attached Files

Comment

• Photo of same shop, You can see a bit more of the shop beside it still can't figure it out??
                Attached Files

Comment

• Daphne Daffodil, Gloria Gladioli, ? lol

Comment

• Is that the Name Raphael. lol! I can't remember any flower shops in Crumlin. We scarcely managed enough money to buy food.

If a neighbour had a nice garden others would take slips off the plants so most plants thrived, Even at a death there was rarely flowers

Comment

• And where pray tell was the shop called the Bluebell.

Comment

• Originally posted by tumble twist View Post
                        And where pray tell was the shop called the Bluebell.
                        Brian I would imagine you frequented the shops further up the Crumlin Road as you lived on Kildare Road, So as far as I remember you could cut out through Raphoe Road right to those shops.

We on the other hand rarely went to those shops There was on the Bangor Road left Side Andy Daltons. Acoss the Road his mother had a vegetable shop. Now right beside Andy Daltons was Margie Bluebell thats what we kids called her.

The shop was tiny but three steps up to it and I think it mostly sold sweets and maybe Cigs,

Margie had a voice problem, She almost sang in a quavering voice and cruel kids as we were we made fun of her, although she never seemed to notice, We would order our sweets in a quavering voice similar to hers.

She was a nice lady and there was only room for about three customers in her small shop

Comment

• Ah, Joan I know where the Bluebell shop was across the road from it is an arched entrance up the stairs where I use to get my hair cut, by Tony McHugh he was a character,artist,also, remember Nora Dobbins shop, drank with her sister Carmel and husband Jimmy Dooley out here in Toronto for years,all gone R I P.

Comment

• Ah Brian I remember that Barber well, My Late Father sent my son around for a haircut once giving him a two shilling piece,

He came back and said the barber said it was a half a crown for a hair cut,

My dad sent him back and told him to tell the barber to take two shillings worth of hair off lol!

Strange you visited him. With all the hair you had then I thought you were one of the people we called then "Starve The Barber"

Comment

• Joan there were three barber shops in that area at one time, one beside Dempseys, facing The Yellow House pub,I think it's still there, it use to be called Cassidys, and there was one facing Faloons bicycle shop jeez I'm going back 60 years,the barber use to put a plank of wood on the arm rests of the chair for us kids to sit on to save his oul back from bending down.Haven't been to a barber in 30 years,lol, pass by one on my walk in the Mall,they are looking for $35 and that's the minimum.

Comment

• Originally posted by tumble twist View Post
                                Joan there were three barber shops in that area at one time, one beside Dempseys, facing The Yellow House pub,I think it's still there, it use to be called Cassidys, and there was one facing Faloons bicycle shop jeez I'm going back 60 years,the barber use to put a plank of wood on the arm rests of the chair for us kids to sit on to save his oul back from bending down.Haven't been to a barber in 30 years,lol, pass by one on my walk in the Mall,they are looking for $35 and that's the minimum.
                                Tumble twist....that is extremely dear for a man's hair cut.....(I take it you are a man).....your hair must be down to your ankles at this stage....
                                It is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X