star cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• star cinema

Can anyone tell me what happened to the Star Cinema at the top of Kildare road Crumlin?. I was born in 1948 and used to live on Cashel Road up until 1969 but have lived on the Isle of Man since and I have often wondered if it is still there. On Saturday's we used to go to th 'haypny rush' or should that be 'crush'!, when the lane at the left hand side of the Star would be jammed packed with kid's waiting for the door to open. If it was a nice Summer day the heat would be ferocious and we'd all get agitated waiting, allsort's of rumble's would break out, even though we were no more than 8 or nine year's of age! I remember kid's climbing up the wall on the left hand side and jumping off it into the garden at the end(Kildare Road?)because we were bored?. The poor woman living there must have been tearing her hair out shouting at us.ha! I even remember when Bill Hayly was shown (in mid early fiftys?Rock Around The Clock? and all the seat's were ripped out . The place was absolutely filled to the gunnel's and in uproar. Doris Day used to be the Sunday film on a lot of occasion's and Roy Rogers, alias 'duck the bullets', was a regular western. Him and Gabby Hayes (go get the sherriff son!) were shot hundred's of time's but we'd still go for the follow-up not realising that they should be dead.In the sixtys when the Beatles film A HARD DAYS NIGHT came the place was crammed for 2 weeks and nearly all seen it at least 6 time's!.
    Do's anyone have information or memories they'd like to share on this?.I would love to hear from you.
    Regard's
    Christy
    Last edited by giddy; 28-02-2012, 01:33 PM. Reason: recollection's

Originally posted by giddy View Post
    Can anyone tell me what happened to the Star Cinema at the top of Kildare road Crumlin?. I was born in 1948 and used to live on Cashel Road up until 1969 but have lived on the Isle of Man since and I have often wondered if it is still there. On Saturday's we used to go to th 'haypny rush' or should that be 'crush'!, when the lane at the left hand side of the Star would be jammed packed with kid's waiting for the door to open. If it was a nice Summer day the heat would be ferocious and we'd all get agitated waiting, allsort's of rumble's would break out, even though we were no more than 8 or nine year's of age! I remember kid's climbing up the wall on the left hand side and jumping off it into the garden at the end(Kildare Road?)because we were bored?. The poor woman living there must have been tearing her hair out shouting at us.ha! I even remember when Bill Hayly was shown (in mid early fiftys?Rock Around The Clock? and all the seat's were ripped out . The place was absolutely filled to the gunnel's and in uproar. Doris Day used to be the Sunday film on a lot of occasion's and Roy Rogers, alias 'duck the bullets', was a regular western. Him and Gabby Hayes (go get the sherriff son!) were shot hundred's of time's but we'd still go for the follow-up not realising that they should be dead.In the sixtys when the Beatles film A HARD DAYS NIGHT the place was crammed for 2 weeks and nearly all seen it at least 6 time's!.
    Do's anyone have information or memories they'd like to share on this?.I would love to hear from you.
    Regard's
    Christy
    Ive heard it being mentioned on .ie in the past Giddy. Along with a few pics.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what happened to the Star Cinema at the top of Kildare road Crumlin?. I was born in 1948 and used to live on Cashel Road up until 1969 but have lived on the Isle of Man since and I have often wondered if it is still there. On Saturday's we used to go to th 'haypny rush' or should that be 'crush'!, when the lane at the left hand side of the Star would be jammed packed with kid's waiting for the door to open. If it was a nice Summer day the heat would be ferocious and we'd all get agitated waiting, allsort's of rumble's would break out, even though we were no more than 8 or nine year's of age! I remember kid's climbing up the wall on the left hand side and jumping off it into the garden at the end(Kildare Road?)because we were bored?. The poor woman living there must have been tearing her hair out shouting at us.ha! I even remember when Bill Hayly was shown (in mid early fiftys?Rock Around The Clock? and all the seat's were ripped out . The place was absolutely filled to the gunnel's and in uproar. Doris Day used to be the Sunday film on a lot of occasion's and Roy Rogers, alias 'duck the bullets', was a regular western. Him and Gabby Hayes (go get the sherriff son!) were shot hundred's of time's but we'd still go for the follow-up not realising that they should be dead.In the sixtys when the Beatles film A HARD DAYS NIGHT came the place was crammed for 2 weeks and nearly all seen it at least 6 time's!.
      Regard's
      Christy
      Hi Giddy, welcome to the forum. The Star is still there today but its now a Bingo hall and has been for some years now. If i remember rightly it was a skating rink before it became a Bingo hall. My mum came from crumlin & i'm from walkinstown/templeogue originally.

Another Crumliner called Jeangenie posts hete regularly & he might remember some things about the Star for you.
      UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

star cinema

My god! I did'nt expect reply's so quick. You people are on the ball. Thank's for your quick comments, I'll be looking in regularly to check on up-date's and join in debate's.If any of you have friend's/relative's who live or spent time in the Isle of Man I'd be glad to hear from you. Be Good
        Ps Are we called Crumlinite's or Crumliner's?

Comment

My god! I did'nt expect reply's so quick. You people are on the ball. Thank's for your quick comments, I'll be looking in regularly to check on up-date's and join in debate's.If any of you have friend's/relative's who live or spent time in the Isle of Man I'd be glad to hear from you. Be Good
          Ps Are we called Crumlinite's or Crumliner's?
          You are all known as Crumliners! My parents were members of Crumlin GAA club - well my dad was until he died 3 years ago and my mam is still a member there today - she only goes there sometimes on a social basis, & she was as Camogie player for Crumlin about 30 years ago or more, she gave it up before my youngest brother was born.

Some other Crumliners live in Oz and they may see your thread and reply to it i hope.
          UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Hello Giddy welcome. The star is still there for the moment. It is used as a bingo hall. There have been several planning applications to knock it down and build appartments on the site. It was a roller disco in the early eighties I met my other half there. The Bay City Rollers played in it in the 70s.
            Attached Files

Comment

star

Morning all. My younger sister rang me last night, we were talking about the Star and she said she remember's it been a skating rink. She was saying that Mrs Egan, who lived across from us on Cashel Rd, used to sell her sweet's and fruit outside, down by the wall that ran across the front.I remember her son, Sonny, selling ice cream from his mr whippy van outside the cinema somewhere. He used to sell it outside their house 'til all hour's of the night as well. Do any of you remember the Egans? There was Sonny, who was the eldest I think, Charlie, Eugene and Delores. I think that was all. They worked their sock's off all year round no matter what the weather was, snow, rain blizzard's. You get out what you put in I suppose. They were the first people in Crumlin to have a conservatory of sort's built behind their kitchen. I can recall being in there a lot and Eugene would would let us eat whatever we wanted, and us being poor as hell would eat that much we'd be sick as dog's and would have to mitch off school the next day. Imagine that, mitching school because we overate! In Crumlin! In the fifty's!. Better than going in the next day with a note saying you had a broken lace I suppose!!
              Just been looking at Google Street View and it's showing the Star as a bingo hall. Look's quite recent as well. When were the railing's put up?.
              Last edited by giddy; 29-02-2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Hello Christy, yes as you now know the Star is now a Bingo hall, I live In the UK, and was surprised on my last visit that it wasnt a cinema anymore, I used to have some great times there on a saturday matinee, I lived on Rafters Road, my family still live there............... a bit of trivia for ya, Phil Linnott of Thin Lizzy fame used to go there as well when he was a youngfella, and remembered how the seats in the Star were sticky, and when he was writing the song " Dancing in the moonlight" he used a phase in the song " I always get chocolate stains on my pants" it was the Stars sticky seats he was refering to.
                I too was born in 1948, maybe we saw each other at one time then.
                Attached Files
                https://www.facebook.com/#!/rocknrollrockabilly

Comment

star

Hi Paddy. Do I remember them sticky seats?. You'd never wear white trousers to go there would you?. You were born '48?. We must've ran into each other at some stage. Talking of Phil, he was in my class for four/five years in the butchers, sorry I meant Brothers on Armagh road. You could tell then he was different, always into music one way or another. Do you remember him in the Eagles was it? and they used to play in the little hall down at Mt Argus. They were alright. Phil was a terrible singer when we'd be singing in class. Mind you I think he used to do it on purpose, because the butchers used to put him outside and when we'd come out he'd be playing card's or doing card trick's, making a few bob. Taught me quite a few.! Did you go to the 'butchers'?. They really were a bunch of sadistic bastards. There was only one decent one among them by the name of Brother Allen.I remember one lad with glasses, Hayes was his name, was accused of copying my sums and the master, Moriarty I think his name was, vicious bastard, picked him up by the ears and banged his head on the blackboard several times, screaming blue murder at him. There was a right row the next day when some relative came to complain, dont know if anything was do about it. I do know that my oldest brother and a couple of his mates got hold of Moriarty a few weeks later and put him in hospital. Serves the bastard right. He used to have a bottle of whisky hidden in his desk and his lapels were golden colour from the drops of whisky that missed his big mouth! Where abouts in the UK are you ?. When did you split?.
                  Last edited by giddy; 01-03-2012, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Regard's
                    Christy
                    Hi giddy.
                    I used to go to the Star when I was a kid and I was there when Rock Around The Clock was shown.Loved the Platters and Little Richard.
                    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

hi giddy, i was born in 1948,lived in derry drive in crumlin,till i left for oz in 1972. have great memories of the star,opening the side doors to let the boys in for free,do you remember when the girls came arounds with the sweets and ice creams,well not that i am proud of it ,but we use to knock off some of the sweet and do a runner up the back .

took my first girlfriend there up stairs,and unlike now you got two movies to watch.

wecome to the forum.

Comment

Hi Paddy. Do I remember them sticky seats?. You'd never wear white trousers to go there would you?. You were born '48?. We must've ran into each other at some stage. Talking of Phil, he was in my class for four/five years in the butchers, sorry I meant Brothers on Armagh road. You could tell then he was different, always into music one way or another. Do you remember him in the Eagles was it? and they used to play in the little hall down at Mt Argus. They were alright. Phil was a terrible singer when we'd be singing in class. Mind you I think he used to do it on purpose, because the butchers used to put him outside and when we'd come out he'd be playing card's or doing card trick's, making a few bob. Taught me quite a few.! Did you go to the 'butchers'?. They really were a bunch of sadistic bastards. There was only one decent one among them by the name of Brother Allen.I remember one lad with glasses, Hayes was his name, was accused of copying my sums and the master, Moriarty I think his name was, vicious bastard, picked him up by the ears and banged his head on the blackboard several times, screaming blue murder at him. There was a right row the next day when some relative came to complain, dont know if anything was do about it. I do know that my oldest brother and a couple of his mates got hold of Moriarty a few weeks later and put him in hospital. Serves the bastard right. He used to have a bottle of whisky hidden in his desk and his lapels were golden colour from the drops of whisky that missed his big mouth! Where abouts in the UK are you ?. When did you split?.
                        I dont remember too much about the school but I still remember how to count in gaelic, and a few phrases................. I was dragged off to England when I was about 10 years of age, we have lived in Nottingham ever since, but like I said I still have family living on Rafters, and also other parts of Dublin, still miss the aul place, the older I get the more homesick I become, one day if I come into any money I would move back like a shot...................................... you can take the boy out of Dublin, but you can never take Dublin out of the boy.
                        https://www.facebook.com/#!/rocknrollrockabilly

Comment

Hi jembo. You must be as old as me! Do you remember the name of the boss man of the Star?. My sister seems to think his name was Wall, or something like that.
                          Ps. Going off the trail a bit. Just being looking at a very interesting article in the South African press, don't know how old it is. Do any of you guy's remember a Shan Mohangi?. Murdered a young girl in Harcourt St. in 1963?. Well the article was about him registering as an ANC candidate for election to the South African government. They only found out about him by sheer luck.
                          Last edited by giddy; 02-03-2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Paddy;156076]I dont remember too much about the school but I still remember how to count in gaelic, and a few phrases................. I was dragged off to England when I was about 10 years of age, we have lived in Nottingham ever since, but like I said I still have family living on Rafters, and also other parts of Dublin, still miss the aul place, the older I get the more homesick I become, one day if I come into any money I would move back like a shot...................................... you can take the boy out of Dublin, but you can never take Dublin out of the boy 'NEVER A TRUER WORD SPOKEN IN JEST'
                            Last edited by giddy; 02-03-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Could'nt agree with you more Paddy. Would'nt mine living in Galway. Always fancied that, God willing.
                              Never mind, memorie's are the most precious thing's we have left

Comment

Working...
                              X