Margaret Elizabeth MILLER, born 25 Nov 1885

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margaret Elizabeth MILLER, born 25 Nov 1885

John Doran of this Forum kindly helped me in the past in tracing my family.

I would be grateful for any help in tracing Margaret Elizabeth Miller born 25 Nov 1885, Islington, London.

Her parents from Scotland were David Miller and Mary Cundill who married 24 Dec 1883, in Holborn, London.

Their known children:
    Margaret Elizabeth Miller born 25 Nov 1885, Islington, London.
    Edith Mary Miller born 27 Jan 1888, Islington, London, died 5 Mar 1983. Co. Down.
    David Cundill Miller born about Nov 1890, Dublin South, died 2 Nov 1891, Dublin South.
    Margery Miller born 21 Mar 1893, Dublin South, died 23 Jun 1917, Dublin.

The mother Mary Miller died 9 Jul 1894, Dublin
    Death notice for Mary in Dublin Daily Express, 12 July 1894:
    MILLER -- July 9, at Cork Street Hospital, Mary Cundill, aged 36, the beloved wife of David Miller, Jewel-case maker, late of 18 Raymond street, South Circular road, deeply regretted by a sorrowing family. Funeral from Hospital at 9 30 this (Thursday) morning for Mount Jerome.

Two daughters Edith and Margery were placed in the Cottage Home for Little Children, Tivoli Road, Kingstown, Dublin in 1895. The orphanage records state "Mother dead leaving 3 children".

Their father David Miller appears in the 1901 Irish Census:
    27 Vernon Street, Wood Quay, St. Peter's Parish, Dublin
    Wilson Race, Head of Family, Church of England, Read & Write, 31, M, Jeweller's Shop Assist., Married, England
    Esther Race, wife, Church of England, Read & Write, 32, F, Married, England
    Edward Race, son, Church of Ireland, 6, M, Scholar, Not married, Dublin
    Florence Race, daughter, Church of Ireland, 5, F, Scholar, Not married, Dublin
    Ethel Race, daughter, Church of Ireland, 4, F, Scholar, Not married, Dublin
    David Miller, Boarder, Presbyterian, Read and Write, 41, M, Jewel Case Maker, Widower, Scotland
    William G. Simmonds, Boarder, Church of England, 25, M, Clock Maker, Not married, England.

Nothing further is known of first daughter Margaret Elizabeth Miller. She would have been aged 15-16 in 1901 Census but I could not find her there.

Thank you,

John

Hi John
    Just a quick reply
    The death cert for Diana is now online free
    Here is a link
    This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.

When it opens just put in her name....and two entries will come up one her death cert and two..her marriage to George
    Underneath each entry is a sign saying ...image...click on that and download the cert to your computer
    If you have any difficulty get back to me

Will now look for Margaret Elizabeth
    John

Comment

Hello John,

Good to make contact with you again. Thank you for the link, I have downloaded a couple of certificates.

Finding Margaret Elizabeth Miller is a challenge. Just to make sure, I purchased a death certificate:

Margaret MILLER, born 1885, died 1886, 1st qtr., Wandsworth London, 1D, 491
      but this was the daughter of William Miller, General Dealer, and Sarah Miller of 9 Seymour Street, Battersea, so not relevant.

Regards,

John

Comment

John
        They only matching name on the 1901 census was
        Maggie Miller born England .............. occupation a maid
        age 22*
        In Cork

Then
        Margaret Miller death in 1905.............occupation a servant
        Age 20
        in Tipperary
        It says from Tipperary....but cannot find a birth for a Margaret Miller anywhere in Tipp around that time of 1885
        I think it means last address in Tipperary

The Tipperary age would be bang on for 1885 birth

* up can take the ages on the census forms with more than a pinch of salt

Comment

Hello John,

Thank you very much for your additional help. Both of your findings deserve following up. I have downloaded the 1905 Tipperary death certificate, thanks.

In the 1901 Irish Census there is an "M. Miller" aged 20, in a hospital at 2 Townsend Street, Dublin. Just possible that this is our Margaret fallen on hard times.

Regards, John
          Last edited by Tinto; 06-02-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

John
            Sent you a message about scottish census

Comment

Hello John,

Thanks for the details. I thought it might be Warwick as place of birth. That's a long way from London though.

I have the Scottish census records for David and Mary, thanks.

Regards, John

Comment

John
                In photo jpeg form
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello John,

Thanks very much for this census record. I've no idea why I couldn't find this one on ScotlandsPeople.

Regards, John

Comment

Working...
                  X