camden street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camden View Post
    Just Googled Tommy Powell,I'm sorry but the date was 1961 not late Fifties.

Myself and a couple of friends who played football around that area were

taken to Kevin's Street Police Station and questioned about the incident.

We did'nt even have our parents with us for that.Pretty scary when you're

only 15 years old.They ran Ads in the cinemas like The De-Luxe & The Green

for information but all to no avail.Check out Google and you'll get some info.

It's strange how so little information about such a thing had very little in

the papers at that time.It was all local gossip and rumours about who the

murderer was.That he must have been a family member etc.The article

mentioned he could have been knocked down and then dumped there.

Don't ever remember about that being a possibility at the time.Check it out.
    thanks camden.....i had left ireland then....that's why i hadn't heard of it....

but the name powell seems to ring a bell.....thanks again....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

bleedin horse
      Attached Files

Comment

Old Camden Street about 1970.
        Attached Files
        Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

St Kevin's churchyard in Camden Row, where the body of Tommy Powell was discovered in June 1961. At that time the churchyard was surrounded by a high wall.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
            St Kevin's churchyard in Camden Row, where the body of Tommy Powell was discovered in June 1961. At that time the churchyard was surrounded by a high wall.
            It looks such a tranquil spot now, hard to think someone lost their life tragically there.

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
              It looks such a tranquil spot now, hard to think someone lost their life tragically there.
              wm....lots of kids used to play in there....great for hiding.....
              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I remember passing by with my mother in the 60s and she said that when she was a child they were scared of going there cos they thought the place was haunted. I learned afterwards that people especially in the 19th century believed that the ghost of Bishop O'Hurley (tortured and killed by the British in the 16th century and buried in the church) appeared there, and huge crowds would assemble there on the anniversary of his death.

In the 19th century it was subject to body-snatching on a large scale - that's why the walls were built so high - to keep out the "sack-em-ups" as they were called. During times of fever (cholera, typhus, etc) they were particularly active. On one occasion around the time of the famine a body-snatcher was chased as far as Thomas Street, where he finally dropped his booty—the body of a young girl. This gave rise to a local legend that a young girl had been killed there.

Comment

This should be the convent of the Little Sisters of the Assumption (though we always called them the Poor Clares) in Camden St., mentioned earlier in this thread.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Old Camden Street about 1970.
                    A gang of us used to hang out outside Killeens shop...on the left side just beside the sign that says Kings
                    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

This should be the convent of the Little Sisters of the Assumption (though we always called them the Poor Clares) in Camden St., mentioned earlier in this thread.
                      That Collection Box mentioned earlier was on the railings on the next building

to the right of the buliding in this photo,going down into a Box in the " Area "

Often wondered if they collected much and was that where they got the

Half Crowns they kindly gave to us Alter Boys at Christmas and Easter.

Could'nt have been really as the coins we got always looked brand new.

Comment

Just as I posted that reply I was thinking about how the memory has a great

capacity to retain things like smells.I will never forget the distinct smell I got

every time I went into the convent to serve Benediction on Sundays.The smell

must have been some type of polish and then it was the candles and incense.

This has remained with me all of my life.The Nuns were very decent people.

What a rush then to The Princess Cinema Rathmines for the Sunday Matinee

Flash Gordon or what ever was on it did'nt matter everything was acceptable

Anything was OK as we did'nt have much choice and very little demands.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                          A gang of us used to hang out outside Killeens shop...on the left side just beside the sign that says Kings

I remember Killeen's very well.I left about 1962 but I would have done the

same in The Late '50's and Early '60's. Do you remember the name above

the shop ? It was'nt called Killeen's but there was a small sign above and

the shop was called " ### ##### " Check out your memory
                          Last edited by camden; 11-04-2012, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I should no that Camden ....spent years hanging around outside it....was it something like.....The Dairy or Cosy Dairy ?
                            The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

The shop was called The Ideal.I don't recall anybody calling it by that name.

Is'nt it strange how the brain holds all this really useless information ?

It was a great hangout for me and my friend John.He went away to live in

London around 1960.I'm glad to say I'm still in touch with John.I try to see

him in London when I'm there on business.He's only been back to Dublin

twice in all that time but I think I've convinced him to come over this year.

John lived in Harcourt Street and then in Harrington Street before he went

to London with his Mother.His Father had already left some time before that.

Comment

Here's one of the K family whom Dinny should know (on left) singing in Jerry O'Connell's last year.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X