Phibsborough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phibsborough

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but there doe's not seem to be a dedicated thread for Phibsboro. I would like to start one and upload a few photos that may well bring back memories to fellow 'Phibsborians'.

PHIBSBORO 1.jpg

PHIBSBORO 19.jpg

Great pics Pegasus.Thank you!

Comment

Great photos lived not far from Phibsboro. Looking forward to seeing more.

Comment

Great idea..keep the pics coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
          Great idea..keep the pics coming!
          the drover looks as nochalant as the cattle..........did he just tell them to go to smithfield when they woke up......

and i'll drop along as well.....
          Last edited by quinner; 27-02-2012, 01:21 PM.
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

The standard uniform for drovers in those days seemed to be a three-piece suit, shirt and tie with a fashionable hat.

Comment

absolutely fantastic photos.....theyre taking me back to my childhood.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                The standard uniform for drovers in those days seemed to be a three-piece suit, shirt and tie with a fashionable hat.
                but they always semmed to have a little fellah with them, who did all the shouting....lol..........just from memory...

Comment

The 'main street' of Phibsboro is usually regarded as the N.C.Rd from the Cinema (State) up to St.Peters Church. Here are two photos taken from approximately the same spot. The first one was taken in 1910, I believe, while the second one about three weeks ago. Apart from the changes in traffic and peoples dress fashions there does not appear to be any structural change in the buildings on either side of the road over the 100 years or so between photos. They must really have built them to last as all the properties look as solid as ever. You could probably add on another 100 years before 1910 since the thoroughfare was built.

PHIBSBORO 2.jpg

Comment

pegasus...so many buildings then...were built with pride................

it was the practice then, for a builder to build cheap first, and as he made more money....to build better and better......that is noticeable in many old streets............

Comment

In the first picture to the right theres a lota trees...i seem to remember them but cant remember if there was a park there or not....or are the trees in gardens??? any idea...

nothing has changed...i did a tour on the 122 bus 5 years ago and i was transported back cos really along the north circular road from dorset street up things are exactly the same as they were more than 30 years ago

Comment

The trees were in the gardens of houses that are still there. Dalymount Park, Bohemians Ground is in the back lane at the back of those houses.

Comment

thanks a bunch its amazing how somethings you can remember clearly i just od t place those trees lol

Comment

My Grandfather was from Great Western Sq, his father was an engine driver. I've been tracking them down online from census data etc. I just found the other day that my wife's Grandmother grew up a few hundred metres away, as the crow flies, in O'Connell Ave.
                            Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

amazing eh..but i think in those days dublin was just like a small village

Comment

Working...
                              X