Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tallaght

Tallaght in the snow. About 1985

As the author doesn't allow embedding you have to look at the clip on You Tube. It lasts a bit over 5 minutes and can be seen by clicking HERE.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Rashers.I remember when we used to walk from Drimnagh to Tallaght when we were kids to swim in the tank at Old Bawn bridge.We thought nothing of walking 4 miles each way,and had as much fun while walking as we did swimming.At that time,Tallaght had a seminary,and a couple of small shops,and maybe a hundred people.It was a nice little village back then.How times have changed.I still like to visit it when I go back,but I have got lost twice with all the changes.Is the tank still there at Old Bawn?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
      Rashers.I remember when we used to walk from Drimnagh to Tallaght when we were kids to swim in the tank at Old Bawn bridge.We thought nothing of walking 4 miles each way,and had as much fun while walking as we did swimming.At that time,Tallaght had a seminary,and a couple of small shops,and maybe a hundred people.It was a nice little village back then.How times have changed.I still like to visit it when I go back,but I have got lost twice with all the changes.Is the tank still there at Old Bawn?
      Don't know Ed, I'm a foreigner from the Northside meself.
      'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
        Ed I work on the Old Bawn Rd, and a man that comes into me is from there originally, he was talking to me about the tank , I must ask him if it is still there and if he has any pics...
        It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
          Tallaght in the snow. About 1985

As the author doesn't allow embedding you have to look at the clip on You Tube. It lasts a bit over 5 minutes and can be seen by clicking HERE.
          belive it or not , the driver on the 76 was me , later on I got stuck in the ice and was talking to the photographer , he was all around tallaght that day , that pic of the 76 was taking in fetercairn heading towards belgard on the way to clondalkin

Comment

Gosh i remember those buses, gone by the early to mid 1990's. The roads look like they were well gritted that day.
            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

thanks rashers ,really enjoyed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie View Post
                Ed I work on the Old Bawn Rd, and a man that comes into me is from there originally, he was talking to me about the tank , I must ask him if it is still there and if he has any pics...
                Reggie;The tank was just under the bridge that crossed the Dodder,and it was just across the Road from what was then called Bridget Byrne's pub.It was about 40 ftx 20 feet and about 10 feet deep.I think it was originally built to slow the river down,but for us it was a swimming pool.The last time I swam in it was 1959

Comment

Ed the pub was called bridget burke

Comment

that used be my hangout when we lived on firhouse road, and then in old bawn.....supposedly on sunday mornings they had strippers there?? was this an urban legend or is it true? i never saw any......my neighbor and i used run every evening......we slip a couple of $s in our running shoes, run down to bridget burkes, have a few drinks and call one of our hubbys to come get us lol...oh the joys of being young and fit

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post
                      Ed the pub was called bridget burke
                      Rashers;You are correct.rhe years are taking a toll on the memory,and I wasn't eligible to drink,so I was never inside of it. I also didn't have the money for booze.Does it still Exist?

Comment

hi oscar.
                        was thanking rashers for the clip he put up of tallaght in the snow.

Comment

Originally posted by ed o'gorman View Post
                          rashers;you are correct.rhe years are taking a toll on the memory,and i wasn't eligible to drink,so i was never inside of it. I also didn't have the money for booze.does it still exist?
                          there is a new pub there it is called the old mill and the tank is
                          gone

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post
                            there is a new pub there it is called the old mill and the tank is
                            gone

Thanks rashers;Well,I suppose that's progress.Nothing stay's the same.

Comment

Tallaght is to over built now . I remember when the square was just feilds .and if you wanted to do your food shopping you had to get the bus to killnamanagh shopping center or the two story shops that where at the cycle inn in tallaght village .

Comment

Working...
                              X