No announcement yet.

Nelson's Pillar gone , 50 years today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelson's Pillar gone , 50 years today.

This day in March 1966 , Nelson came crumbling down , the most iconic structure in Dublin ,
    Any special memories ? any thoughts on the destruction of it . ?
    Last edited by bojangles; 08-03-2016, 04:53 PM.

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
    This day in March 1966 , Nelson came crumbling down , the most iconic structure in Dublin ,
    The Windows shook at our house Bannaville Rathmines
    I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

I was going home & in O'Connell St when it blew, I still have a piece of brick from it.

Comment

Not a bloody thing , can remember some kid awhile later saying he had some rock from it .......maybe that asteroid that's swinging by today will take out that yoke that replaced it .

Comment

I never did go up there.......It has been said that it was the same height above sea-level as Portobello bridge......
          It was also said that from Jacobs at the corner of Bishop Street to the Pillar was exactly one mile.....
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I was up on the Pillar twice, to the best of my memory. I was visiting friends in Belfast when it was blown up. When I came home I went in to see the remains and I picked up a piece of rock as a keepsake but I'm sad to say I lost it somewhere along the way, maybe its still tucked away in a box with other bits and pieces in my attic though I doubt it.
            Last edited by paudge; 08-03-2016, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I remember going up it for the first and only time two weeks before it came down. I was 9 and had sneaked into town unknown to my parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                I remember going up it for the first and only time two weeks before it came down. I was 9 and had sneaked into town unknown to my parents.
                I was about nine too the first time I was up on the Pillar. My childhood pal, Tommy, had a sister home on holiday from England. She took us into town, got us an ice cream in Woolworths and then brought us up the Pillar. I was about 16 the next time I went, didn't get an ice cream that time.

Comment

I must have had a shilling, 6d for the pillar and a bag of popcorn which I bought before going up..... a great adventure. Also remember looking over the GPO and seeing its courtyard.

Comment

I was age 9 too,The Divil was busy that year !!
                    The man who blew up Nelson was interviewed on the radio today , still bragging about it .

Comment

The man who blew up Nelson was interviewed on the radio today , still bragging about it .
                      It must have annoyed him......It is a strange world......
                      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Janey was everyone nine who went up the Pillar.....I brought my little brother up to the top just the week before it was blown up....he was nine also..

Bo I heard your man on the radio today.
                        It is what it is.

Comment

I never went up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
                            Janey was everyone nine who went up the Pillar.....I brought my little brother up to the top just the week before it was blown up....he was nine also..

Bo I heard your man on the radio today.
                            He was a real dinosaur Pammy , he belongs in a different era . To justify what he had done he kept mentioning the Dublin and Monaghan bombings " didn't the Brits bomb Dublin in 1974 ? I dont hear ye givin' out about that !"

Comment

He was a real dinosaur Pammy , he belongs in a different era . To justify what he had done he kept mentioning the Dublin and Monaghan bombings " didn't the Brits bomb Dublin in 1974 ? I dont hear ye givin' out about that !"
                              Yea he was somethin else all right!!
                              It is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X