No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some men drowned trying to save them, My Late Grandfather whose family lived in Crumlin as far back as the records go. He told me once they were in the Parish of Rathfarmham when his family first lived in Crumlin and we have a lot of the family births that were recorded at that time. Later they had St Annes in Tallaght.

He told me in His fathers time (my greatgrandfather) a horse and cart went into that quarry. Certainly was great for the Mothers in Crumlin when it was finally filled in

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
      I remember the incident of the kids going through the ice on Sundrive Quarry. The police were dragging the Quarry for the bodies for days. That was before the corpo turned it into a landfill rubbish dump.
      That’s why Sundrive Park was always called the dump by the locals for many years after that

Comment

• No Rasher there was also a Dump where people gathered everyday to see what was dumped, Sometimes Chocolate and other food items tossed by Food Companies, Some people just went to collect cinders for their fires

Comment

• Great art work in Crumlin lol!
          Attached Files

Comment

• More Crumlin Snow talent
            Attached Files

Comment

• I remember buying this last year and it brought back all the things my mother and father said about 1947, At that time there would have been little warning, In fact 1982 there was also little warning, This time even Journalists were missing from their jobs so all we got was constant weather warnings until we were sick of it. Al our sports events were canceled and have to be rescheduled
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
                I remember buying this last year and it brought back all the things my mother and father said about 1947, At that time there would have been little warning, In fact 1982 there was also little warning, This time even Journalists were missing from their jobs so all we got was constant weather warnings until we were sick of it. Al our sports events were canceled and have to be rescheduled
                We get it on a yearly subscription $180 US. Good reading.

Comment

I remember buying this last year and it brought back all the things my mother and father said about 1947, At that time there would have been little warning, In fact 1982 there was also little warning, This time even Journalists were missing from their jobs so all we got was constant weather warnings until we were sick of it. Al our sports events were canceled and have to be rescheduled
                  My mother still gets it delivered every issue ......even though she hasn't a clue what it is
                  The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Ah Dinny your Poor mam is still with you, I know it must be very bittersweet, Loving someone who was once your mam who you could chat to and enjoy her company. My Aunt aged 96 has all her faculties but she can hardly see and she is profoundly deaf and its sad to know that she is aware of her condition.

I have her for dinner on Sundays but we can no longer communicate although she is still upwardly mobile we have to make sure she does not fall over anything.

Up to two years ago I enjoyed her visits she is my Godmother and she shared so much family history, She has a great sense of humour still has and we often had great fun'

Now I watch her her and try frantically to make her understand my news but most times she still cannot understand me. So I send her letters that I know her home help will read to her and I hope it communicates to her how important she is to me

As for Irelands Own my Father always bought it even when it had a different name For that reason I continue to buy it and I have to say Dinny I have often had a story published there lol!

Years ago there was a character called Kitty the Hare they were always ghost stories from a woman that travelled the roads going into different houses every night and paying for her keep with her wonderful stories. My Mam would sit us down and read them as we sat around the fire and we often went to bed shitting ourselves lol!

Comment

Ah Dinny your Poor mam is still with you, I know it must be very bittersweet, Loving someone who was once your mam who you could chat to and enjoy her company. My Aunt aged 96 has all her faculties but she can hardly see and she is profoundly deaf and its sad to know that she is aware of her condition.

I have her for dinner on Sundays but we can no longer communicate although she is still upwardly mobile we have to make sure she does not fall over anything.

Up to two years ago I enjoyed her visits she is my Godmother and she shared so much family history, She has a great sense of humour still has and we often had great fun'

Now I watch her her and try frantically to make her understand my news but most times she still cannot understand me. So I send her letters that I know her home help will read to her and I hope it communicates to her how important she is to me

As for Irelands Own my Father always bought it even when it had a different name For that reason I continue to buy it and I have to say Dinny I have often had a story published there lol!

Years ago there was a character called Kitty the Hare they were always ghost stories from a woman that travelled the roads going into different houses every night and paying for her keep with her wonderful stories. My Mam would sit us down and read them as we sat around the fire and we often went to bed shitting ourselves lol!
                      Kitty the Hare by Victor OD Power

Comment

Joan, thanks ... to be honest ...I never even knew this existed . I was so tied up with the Dandy , Beano , Topper and Beezer......but all that ended when my dear Ma started to buy me Knowledge in the early 60s .......I collected the whole lot and even got the binders
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Ah Nick my Mam bought the Irelands Own for herself but because it was mostly quiz jokes songs old and new and wonderful stories we were allowed to read it. Kitty the Hare became a favourite as it always started with Kitty going into an old Country house and after being fed and watered she would tell the family her latest ghostly experiences lol!

Now it is a bit more modern and there is a lot of intelligent items about inventors and such and things that happened it the past Still a good read for one euro and seventy cents and my elderly aunt is always glad to have it passed on.

If ever you want to sing an old irish song at a party its a must they have about ten well known irish songs in each edition

Rasher you have a great memory I had forgotten who invented Kitty the hare

Comment

• Crumlin Fife & Drums, Little St Agnes Church, 1920

any of your people, partake in this, Joan,
                            Attached Files

Comment

• lol! Raphael that was a bit before my time. My Uncle Eamonn Clifford and his wife had a band in the forties I can never remember the Pipe Band I thought it was the Emerald Girls Pipe Band but my Brother said that was not so. I have put up a photo somewhere on this thread, I know it was a family thing, even my mother took part in it.

My Uncle went on to play in Charlie Nutty's Band I think they played in the Kingsway Ballroom, I know he was busy it was a time when the dance halls were full.

But The Kingsway was to tame for me with teachers and Policemen lol! I went to the Four Ps, My Late Mother would say nothing good ever came out of there. I met my Late Husband there, I was warned about taking tablets off foreign men.

One night after refusing a coloured student because he had asked me up three times in a row, I said I had a headache and he gave me tablets. I thought Of my Mother;s warning and I refused lol! Poor man was likely giving me pain killers

Comment

• RE: Crumlin House (Salesian House)

Hi - message for JOAN MACK

Read with great interest your posts on the early history and origins of CRUMLIN.

I'm particularly interested in Crumlin House.... it's origins and ownership thro the centuries. From Purcell's to Hollwey's and present occupier Salesian Fathers. Are you aware if the Hollwey's acquired the House from the Purcells or was there other occupiers.

Also I understand the Purcells were Catholics (???) if so do you have any thoughts as to how they retained ownership etc

Can you recommend other reading which would be relevant or even if you have assembled/published your posts or other research on Crumlin.

Thanks in advance for any assistance - keep up the great work.
                                Most enlightening - informative and very interesting.
                                Last edited by Butzs; 11-03-2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X