1916 - The Official Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1916 - The Official Thread

Only a year to go till the Centenary........

Until I joined the Dublin forum about 6 years ago, I had a rather confused idea about the Rising.......I 've learnt a lot since then!!

From what I've read on here over the last few months, members seem to have very different opinions towards the Rising and the Centenary: some think there's nothing to commemorate because the Rising was a failure; some think the Men of 1916 would be appalled by the state of the nation today, and think all their efforts had been in vain; some think the commemorations have been sidelined in favour of those of WW1. Personally, I think stop being so analytical.......enjoy it...... celebrate it..... enjoy all the songs and the events - you won't get the chance again.

Can this thread be made a sticky for the rest of this year?? UFB?
    Last edited by KatieMorag; 27-04-2015, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
      Only a year to go till the Centenary........

Until I joined the Dublin forum about 6 years ago, I had a rather confused idea about the Rising.......I learnt a lot since then!!

From what I've read on here over the last few months, members seem to have very different opinions towards the Rising and the Centenary: some think there's nothing to commemorate because the Rising was a failure; some think the Men of 1916 would be appalled by the state of the nation today, and think all their efforts had been in vain; some think the commemorations have been sidelined in favour of those of WW1. Personally, I think stop being so analytical.......enjoy it...... celebrate it..... enjoy all the songs and the events - you won't get the chance again.

Can this thread be made a sticky for the rest of this year?? UFB?
      Agreed.....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
        Agreed.....
        It is good to have something to celebrate in recession times...

Comment

Thanks Joe. Hoping a Mod will stickify it. See Cogs is on so maybe he'll do it? Cogs? Can you make this thread a sticky?
          Might have to wait for Unrepentant........
          Last edited by KatieMorag; 27-04-2015, 02:44 AM.

Comment

It's stuck... and Unrepentant's 'Day That's In It' thread is merged with it...
            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
              It's stuck... and Unrepentant's 'Day That's In It' thread is merged with it...

That's great. Thanks very much Cogs.

I hope everyone will use this thread to discuss 1916 so that we will get a balanced, all-inclusive thread that will provide not only an historical account of events but members' familial recollections and their own opinions of how the events of 1916 have, or have not, impacted on life in Ireland today.

Comment

Some additional threads from the past few months added...
                Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                  Some additional threads from the past few months added...

Great stuff, thanks.

Comment

came across these via a link to the imperial war museum.
                    Attached Files
                    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

I thought that Thomas Clarke was President of the Provisional Government, his wife maintained that he was in the years after 1916. Incidentally, she didn't have a great opinion of Pearse, she said all he did in the GPO was sit on a stool writing poetry.

Comment

Attached Files
                        "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Originally posted by Aulddub View Post
                          I thought that Thomas Clarke was President of the Provisional Government, his wife maintained that he was in the years after 1916. Incidentally, she didn't have a great opinion of Pearse, she said all he did in the GPO was sit on a stool writing poetry.
                          Was there much else he could have done.....Keeping himself safe would have been a priority.....

Comment

Was there much else he could have done.....Keeping himself safe would have been a priority.....
                            Getting it right would have been a good start......... He was nearly as naff as Dev and his cottage industry bullshite speech.

Pearse's Dream...........

"A free Ireland would not, and could not, have hunger in her fertile vales and squalor in her cities.

“Ireland has resources to feed five times her population; a free Ireland will make those resources available.

“A free Ireland would drain the bogs, would harness the rivers, would plant the wastes, would improve the agriculture, would protect the fisheries, would foster industries, would promote commerce, would diminish extravagant expenditure, would beautify the cities, would educate the workers – would, in short, govern herself as no external power could govern her."

What ever happened ? ....More; A free Ireland would 'drain' the country through greed and an overwhelming misinterpreted feel-good factor.

1.Drain the banks.
                            2. Install water meters.
                            3. Create ghost estates for waste.
                            4. Set aside farming.
                            5. Give fishing rights away to Spain.
                            6. Destroy indigenous industry.
                            7. Promote commerce ?.
                            8. Destroy most Georgian architecture.
                            9. Treat the workers like mushrooms.
                            10. Allow a European quango to govern.

Poor misguided Pearse......
                            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                              Getting it right would have been a good start......... He was nearly as naff as Dev and his cottage industry bullshite speech.

Pearse's Dream...........

"A free Ireland would not, and could not, have hunger in her fertile vales and squalor in her cities.

“Ireland has resources to feed five times her population; a free Ireland will make those resources available.

“A free Ireland would drain the bogs, would harness the rivers, would plant the wastes, would improve the agriculture, would protect the fisheries, would foster industries, would promote commerce, would diminish extravagant expenditure, would beautify the cities, would educate the workers – would, in short, govern herself as no external power could govern her."

What ever happened ? ....More; A free Ireland would 'drain' the country through greed and an overwhelming misinterpreted feel-good factor.

1.Drain the banks.
                              2. Install water meters.
                              3. Create ghost estates for waste.
                              4. Set aside farming.
                              5. Give fishing rights away to Spain.
                              6. Destroy indigenous industry.
                              7. Promote commerce ?.
                              8. Destroy most Georgian architecture.
                              9. Treat the workers like mushrooms.
                              10. Allow a European quango to govern.

Poor misguided Pearse......
                              Must have been a ''delivery'' problem when we had no dinner.....

Comment

Must have been a ''delivery'' problem when we had no dinner.....
                                LOL..Yeah, an ye shudda bin gehhin 5 dinners apiece......
                                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Working...
                                X