• Show
Clear All

• camden street

what ever became of the bleeding horse
    sua tele tonanti

Originally posted by toby View Post
    They got the Vet?
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

did he bleeding run off?
      https://www.facebook.com/#!/rocknrollrockabilly

Comment

The Bleeding Horse is still there,havin survived the rehash of Charlotte Street etc.this pic shows the original pub with original sign over the door.
        The pub went through a name change at one time and I have a pic of it somewhere,it was an attempt at modernization which was crap.
        It's now more or less back to normal and on the places to see list for visitors,but the sign above the door has changed to a white horses head,which is nothing like the original copy of a painting...wonder who knicked that ? Anyway,heres a bit of the lore on how the pub got it's name and a fine pic showing the pub. Old Camden St to the right.

The battle of Rathmines created names to several local landmarks. 'The Bleeding Horse' public house, which stands at the corner of modern Upper Camden street, was established in 1649, when, after the Battle of Rathmines, a wounded horse wandered into a tavern. This made such an impression on the owner that he named his premises 'The Bleeding Horse'.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 28-10-2013, 05:05 PM.
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Passed through today and its all changed.

Comment

Originally posted by spongebob View Post
            Passed through today and its all changed.
            Looks a bit like this now eh !And Charlotte St is gone.
            Attached Files

Comment

But a painting of a bleedin' horse is still there. And oh look... a pub that can't spell draught!
              'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                But a painting of a bleedin' horse is still there. And oh look... a pub that can't spell draught!
                No Rashers....it's a Miller sign put up by them so spelling is American way...we all know how unedumacated they can be!

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
                  No Rashers....it's a Miller sign put up by them so spelling is American way...we all know how unedumacated they can be!
                  Ours is the correct way of spelling. It was the Brits ,Canadians and you Irish who changed the spelling of some words.
                  Attached Files
                  Camouflage

Stockpile supplies, learn survival skills, pray!

Comment

just out of picture to the left in post 4 lived my uncle in one of the tenaments, does the genuine draught sign mean the breeze coming in through the illfitting doors?
                    "Blue lights on the runway I love the colour of it all"

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                      The Bleeding Horse is still there,havin survived the rehash of Charlotte Street etc.this pic shows the original pub with original sign over the door.
                      The pub went through a name change at one time and I have a pic of it somewhere,it was an attempt at modernisation which was crap.
                      It's now more or less back to normal and on the places to see list for visitors,but the sign above the door has changed to a white horses head,which is nothing like the original copy of a painting...wonder who knicked that ? Anyway,heres a bit of the lore on how the pub got it's nameand a fine pic showing the pub,the sign and the now obliterated Charlotte Street as was.

The battle of Rathmines created names to several local landmarks. 'The Bleeding Horse' public house, which stands at the corner of modern Upper Camden street, was established in 1649, when, after the Battle of Rathmines, a wounded horse wandered into a tavern. This made such an impression on the owner that he named his premises 'The Bleeding Horse'.

Beautiful photo of the area I lived in for so many years.

Noel, is it possible that you are mistaking Camden Row for Charlotte Street?

You have no peer in your knowledge of Dublin so I assume that you realise that the thoroughfare to the right of the Bleeding Horse in the photo is Camden Row.
                      The left hand side of the photo shows a glimpse of Charlotte Street.

Sadly, neither Camden Row nor Charlotte Street, survived the speculators.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                        Not the original Rash !Heres the real one.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 28-10-2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bang Bang View Post

Beautiful photo of the area I lived in for so many years.

Noel, is it possible that you are mistaking Camden Row for Charlotte Street?

You have no peer in your knowledge of Dublin so I assume that you realise that the thoroughfare to the right of the Bleeding Horse in the photo is Camden Row.
                          The left hand side of the photo shows a glimpse of Charlotte Street.

Sadly, neither Camden Row nor Charlotte Street, survived the speculators.
                          The name changed to the FALCON,it was crap.Just found it ! My mate lived just 2 doors away from Carberry's the Cobler,who stayed there long after the top of the building was pulled down.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 14-03-2010, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                            The name changed to the FALCON,it was crap.Just found it ! My mate lived just 2 doors away from Carberry's the Cobler,who stayed there long after the top of the building was pulled down.
                            Well I remember bringing my family's shoes around to Carberry's in Camden Row for repair. That's a lovely shot of an area now so sadly gone, DTW. Thank's.

I had completley forgotten the Bleeding Horse was, briefly, the Falcon Inn.
                            Last edited by Guest; 21-03-2010, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Here is an old postcard showing Charlotte Street.

It's a bit misleading, because it is really only Charlotte Street from the intersection down. The photograph (in the foreground) shows part of Charlemont Street!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X