No announcement yet.

Smithfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering Margaret if you tracked down the Smithfield Inn? Hopefully its still open. Must drop in and see during the week

Comment

Will head to Smithfield tomorrow for my first visit of the new year. After I have a walk around the streets that were part of my childhood I think a pint will be on the cards. For the hour or two that I'm back in the neigbourhood I'm home again, almost like I never left, a nice feeling.

Comment

Didn't make it to Smithfield last time but intend to go today, will have a pint in McGettigans in Queen St, ya never know who I might meet there.

Comment

Think I might pay a visit to the old hometown next week, probably Tuesday. While on the lookout for old mates I've actually made a few new ones. Its a grand feeling when I'm back there again, the years just seem to roll away. I almost expect to see all the old gang again, meet up and head to The Broadway to see Gene Autry in Saddle Pals or down to The Feeno to see Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, ah if only, no harm dreaming. I'll be around anyway and while I wont see my boyhood hero's of the silver screen I certainly will enjoy a few pints and sure ya never know who might drop in.

Comment

Had a nice visit in the old hometown yesterday. Had a few pints in Delaneys, Nth King St.The father used to drink in there, long before there was a tv in the pubs. I found myself wondering what he'd think if he could drop in now. The price would knock him out for a start. A fiver for a Budweiser, pretty much the average price now. Had a chat with a man who lived there back in the 40s, left for Cabra as a kid but still has a soft spot for the old area, like myself. Be back again in another week or two, might head up to Stonybatter and have a pint in The Glimmerman, I used to live just across the road, the house is no longer standing but the oul yard I played in is still there, sadly the chipper [Lombardi's] is gone. Loved Fridays, fast day, so we got dinner from the chipper, mmmmnnnn, fish and chips wrapped in newspaper, ah, life doesn't get any better than that.

Comment

Tuesday again, me day out. Mignt head to Smithfield/Stonybatter. Where will I go for my pint? Oh decisions, decisions.

Comment

Enjoyed a visit to Smithfield yesterday. It was buzzing, lots of people sitting out in the sun. I'll have to go to the cinema [Lighthouse] It will bring back memories of my childhood when I used to frequent the Broadway and The Phoenix [Feeno]. Maybe next visit I'll do that. Pity it wont be Gene or Roy on the screen, but hey ya cant have everything. Had a few pints in Delaney's across the road, in Nth King St, reluctant to leave, loved being back home again.

Comment

Originally posted by paudge View Post
                  Had a nice visit in the old hometown yesterday. Had a few pints in Delaneys, Nth King St.The father used to drink in there, long before there was a tv in the pubs. I found myself wondering what he'd think if he could drop in now. The price would knock him out for a start. A fiver for a Budweiser, pretty much the average price now. Had a chat with a man who lived there back in the 40s, left for Cabra as a kid but still has a soft spot for the old area, like myself. Be back again in another week or two, might head up to Stonybatter and have a pint in The Glimmerman, I used to live just across the road, the house is no longer standing but the oul yard I played in is still there, sadly the chipper [Lombardi's] is gone. Loved Fridays, fast day, so we got dinner from the chipper, mmmmnnnn, fish and chips wrapped in newspaper, ah, life doesn't get any better than that.
                  You'll find this interesting so.....

Tina and Tony Lombardi were popular and respected members of the Stoneybatter community. The couple had four children: Vincent the eldest; twins Angela and Michael; and Anna, the eldest daughter. The family lived in Stoneybatter for about a decade, before moving to California.

However, the family was struck by tragedy when Vincent, who had returned to live in Ireland and was only in his late teens, was killed in a car accident while returning from a night out in Bray. Not long after Vincent’s tragic death, Anna, the eldest daughter, died of leukaemia in California.

We were sent this photo of Tina Lombardi, who is on the left with her mother in the background. The other woman in the photo we believe is Tina’s sister (unfortunately we don’t have her name) but we are told that she ran the Pillar Café in O’Connell Street, which at the time apparently served Dublin’s finest Knickerbocker Glory ice creams. It is now the site of McDonald’s restaurant. https://dublin7peopleshistory.wordpr...you-know-them/
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 27-05-2015, 09:21 PM.
                  We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                    You'll find this interesting so.....

Tina and Tony Lombardi were popular and respected members of the Stoneybatter community. The couple had four children: Vincent the eldest; twins Angela and Michael; and Anna, the eldest daughter. The family lived in Stoneybatter for about a decade, before moving to California.

However, the family was struck by tragedy when Vincent, who had returned to live in Ireland and was only in his late teens, was killed in a car accident while returning from a night out in Bray. Not long after Vincent’s tragic death, Anna, the eldest daughter, died of leukaemia in California.

We were sent this photo of Tina Lombardi, who is on the left with her mother in the background. The other woman in the photo we believe is Tina’s sister (unfortunately we don’t have her name) but we are told that she ran the Pillar Café in O’Connell Street, which at the time apparently served Dublin’s finest Knickerbocker Glory ice creams. It is now the site of McDonald’s restaurant. https://dublin7peopleshistory.wordpr...you-know-them/
                    Some more here Paudge = https://www.facebook.com/stoneybatte...80372235351331

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                      Ye might like this 1971 documentary on Dub Italians....v good. = http://oldportal.euscreen.eu/play.js...C7A4CB1B9C0B74

Comment

Enjoyed a visit to Smithfield yesterday. It was buzzing, lots of people sitting out in the sun. I'll have to go to the cinema [Lighthouse] It will bring back memories of my childhood when I used to frequent the Broadway and The Phoenix [Feeno]. Maybe next visit I'll do that. Pity it wont be Gene or Roy on the screen, but hey ya cant have everything. Had a few pints in Delaney's across the road, in Nth King St, reluctant to leave, loved being back home again.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for pic DTW, great to look back. That building beside Delaneys was the home of my childhood pal Christy. Looks derilict in pic, Christy's family moved out in the 60s and the building was eventually taken over by Norton Security, they're gone now and once again the building is just lying idle. Thanks again for great picture.

Comment

Thanks for pic DTW, great to look back. That building beside Delaneys was the home of my childhood pal Christy. Looks derilict in pic, Christy's family moved out in the 60s and the building was eventually taken over by Norton Security, they're gone now and once again the building is just lying idle. Thanks again for great picture.
                            A pleasure Pauge, looks like the pub was brought back from the brink...early house....spose the market saved it really.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Had another visit to old home town yesterday. After a stroll around some of the streets of my childhood I dropped into McGettigans of Queen St. I met a friend that I got to know on my visits back and enjoyed a pint in his company, we had a nice chat. Nice cozy pub, nice athmosphere and friendly people enjoying an early evening drink. The barman puts on nice easy listening music, Dean Martin sang his heart out for an hour or so. It brought back memories of the times when I used to see him with Jerry Lewis on The Feeno, almost like going back in time, like time has stood still. Would have been great to see some of my old school mates come in the door but hey, thats expecting TOO much. Already looking forward to my next visit, might hear Elvis next time.

Comment

Had another visit to old home town yesterday. After a stroll around some of the streets of my childhood I dropped into McGettigans of Queen St. I met a friend that I got to know on my visits back and enjoyed a pint in his company, we had a nice chat. Nice cozy pub, nice athmosphere and friendly people enjoying an early evening drink. The barman puts on nice easy listening music, Dean Martin sang his heart out for an hour or so. It brought back memories of the times when I used to see him with Jerry Lewis on The Feeno, almost like going back in time, like time has stood still. Would have been great to see some of my old school mates come in the door but hey, thats expecting TOO much. Already looking forward to my next visit, might hear Elvis next time.
                                Paudge....Did you know a ..Joeboy Robindson from around there..
                                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X