No announcement yet.

Old & New Ballymun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxie, that photo needs to be flipped horizontally.

I can see the flat I lived in and the remainder of the hedge and trees that were on one side of Ballymun Rd. The road itself can't be seen because of the rubble.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
      Boxie, that photo needs to be flipped horizontally.

I can see the flat I lived in and the remainder of the hedge and trees that were on one side of Ballymun Rd. The road itself can't be seen because of the rubble.
      Have all the towers been knocked down Jim?
      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
        Have all the towers been knocked down Jim?
        No, one left. Plunkett Tower and there's talk about keeping it. It was refurbished a few years ago and I must say it and it's surrounds like very well.

There's a few 8 story blocks left too. The eight stories in your photo are gone now, as are the towers. But there's still partial blocks left on Coultry, Shangan and Sillogue Roads.

The houses and apartments that replaced the towers and spine blocks can be seen on the BRL (Ballymun Regeneration Limited) site at www.brl.ie

Comment

A couple or so newer photos of part of Ballymun.

This one is Day's Hotel standing on what used to be Ballymun Cross. This is the northern 'gateway' to Ballymun. Behind the photographer would be Ikea and the M50 motorway.
          Attached Files

Comment

Main Street (formerly Ballymun Rd) looking North.

To the right is the hotel, apartments and pub which stand on the spot where the two towers were in the older photo above. Facing is Balcurris Rd flats, also in the older photo above but the flats are now gone.
            Attached Files

Comment

Main Street looking South towards town. The Wicklow hills can be just seen in the distance.
              Attached Files

Comment

Main Street looking South towards town. The Wicklow hills can be just seen in the distance.
                Jays Jim I wouldn't recognise it at all, and I often worked out all around there
                Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                  Jays Jim I wouldn't recognise it at all, and I often worked out all around there
                  It's changed a lot, and what you've seen is just one street.

The photos taken from the middle of the road could not have been taken from that spot a few years ago -- that was where the old roundabout and underpasses used to be.

Comment

It's changed a lot, and what you've seen is just one street.

The photos taken from the middle of the road could not have been taken from that spot a few years ago -- that was where the old roundabout and underpasses used to be.
                    Looks like a major improvement in the living environment
                    Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by joe o toole View Post
                      McCormacks (on right ) and Dalys cottages Ballymun Cross gone forever. A hotel now stands on the corner.
                      Rogers house and shop, nice pic.
                      Mrs Rogers passed away about ten or more years ago, but her daughter Anne remained there with her husband Cecil and Son Graham.
                      But the developers moved in and flattened everything, a once small community basically wiped out.

The family are now settled in Oldtown and I'm in touch regularly.

Comment

fortypence

Hi Fortypence,
                        Please say a big hello to Anne, Cecil,and Grahem ,from Joe and Eileen ( we were the next door neighbours ) and wish them a happy Christmas

Comment

Hi Fortypence,
                          Please say a big hello to Anne, Cecil,and Grahem ,from Joe and Eileen ( we were the next door neighbours ) and wish them a happy Christmas
                          I'll do that for sure Joe, I'll see them over the Christmas.

Comment

Fortypence

Thanks fortypence , and a happy Christmas to you and yours too. Could i also say a happy Christmas to all the forum members and to my old friend rashers from the old days in Ballymun Cross, A very happy christmas to you jim and to your family from Joe and Eileen here in Shannon.Hoping we will meet in the new year.

Comment

Thanks fortypence , and a happy Christmas to you and yours too. Could i also say a happy Christmas to all the forum members and to my old friend rashers from the old days in Ballymun Cross, A very happy christmas to you jim and to your family from Joe and Eileen here in Shannon.Hoping we will meet in the new year.
                              And a very happy Christmas to you and Eileen too Joe. Those times at the Cross were good and I remember them with happiness.

May the New Year bring you all your heart desires.

Comment

McCormacks (on right ) and Dalys cottages Ballymun Cross gone forever. A hotel now stands on the corner.
                                did jj and peggy green live on that corner?

Comment

Working...
                                X