Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This decent woman who ran Lucky Duffy's for 40 years and a third generation shopkeeper.....the shop in business for more than 110 years....finally closed, but the saddest thing was that Patricia

After 40 years before the counter, Patricia Duffy has shut up shop on what is reputed to be one of the oldest newsagents in Dublin city. Lucky Duffy’s of 146 Parnell Street has been in operation since 1902. However the early starts, long hours and few holidays mean the newsagent business is a tough game, says Patricia – better known as Patty – and she has decided to retire.
    Despite the city location, footfall has declined steadily since the recession hit, she says. “It’s not the same street. I used to open at seven in the morning but I had to stop because you wouldn’t see anyone in the shop until nine o’ clock because there’s nobody going to work.”

She closed the shop for the last time in December 2013, after 111 years of business.

Speaking to the Herald at the time, Patty said: "I loved the people, I loved what I was doing."

Her nephew paid tribute to her, saying: "She was so kind, even when the shop closed, we were clearing it out and we found old lucky bags with toys 50 or 60 years old. She sent all the toys up to a Montessori on North Great Georges Street."

The death has occurred of:
    Patricia (Patty) Duffy 2015. (late of Lucky Duffy’s, The Pride of Parnell Street), (peacefully) in the care of the staff at T.L.C. Nursing Home, Santry, surrounded by her loving family, pre-deceased by her sister Florrie Gogan; she will be sadly missed by her loving family, her sisters Marie (Bunny) Cooney, Nuala O’Neill, extended family and her many friends. May she rest in peace.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 24-05-2017, 07:10 PM.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Here an impression of the 12 century Palace of St Sepulchre’s 1771, the old Bishop's palace for St Pat's and now the Kevin Street Garda Barracks...

The entrance gate is original and some architectural features still exist within the grounds.....as in some of the castellated features.
      Attached Files

Comment

• ....................Carlisle O'Connell Centenary Celebrations
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

• I remember that summer in Dublin

summer.JPG
            The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
              I remember that summer in Dublin[ATTACH]68944[/ATTACH]
              Nice wan Din. St Audoen's gate (Seasoft)
              Attached Files

Comment

• Terrific pictures folks, thanks

Comment

• .no other information....someone might know the rounabout area.
                  Attached Files
                  in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• It looks like Tallaght By Pass Cosmo .

Comment

• I don't think it is the bypass i think it might be the roundabout in Tempeloge (excuse the spelling ) that leads to the bypass

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                        I don't think it is the bypass i think it might be the roundabout in Tempeloge (excuse the spelling ) that leads to the bypass
                        I was thinking it was the roundabout at the Spawell .

Comment

• Yes just before you get to spawell,I think the area is Orwell

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                            .no other information....someone might know the rounabout area.
                            WTF... give them a miss.

Comment

• Coloured 60's.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Gypos all posh like....
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...