Australia's day of shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia's day of shame

As Australians celebrated OZ day, it wasn't a good day for our PM Julia Gilliard, and opposition leader Tony Abbott. They were ambushed by aboriginal protesters who took umbrage at Abbotts statement, when he was asked about the tent embassy which has been outside the parliament grounds for 40 years. He stated that he felt it was time to move on so to speak.

I'm sure most of you saw the TV footage of Julia & Tony being pushed into a car to escape. Thing is no one was charged, can you guess why.? then today they spit on the flag & burnt it. I think they have pushed the limit this time.
    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
    As Australians celebrated OZ day, it wasn't a good day for our PM Julia Gilliard, and opposition leader Tony Abbott. They were ambushed by aboriginal protesters who took umbrage at Abbotts statement, when he was asked about the tent embassy which has been outside the parliament grounds for 40 years. He stated that he felt it was time to move on so to speak.

I'm sure most of you saw the TV footage of Julia & Tony being pushed into a car to escape. Thing is no one was charged, can you guess why.? then today they spit on the flag & burnt it. I think they have pushed the limit this time.
    The Politicians or the Native Australians?

(Cant spell Aborigines. And too lazy to google it.)

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post

what's the "tent embassy" tony? like the donkey i'm too lazy to google.....

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
        i don't understand why the aborigional people want their country back......where are they going to put it
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
          Who you callin a donkey?
          Im an Ass.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
            i don't understand why the aborigional people want their country back......where are they going to put it
            Apart from wanting their land back. The greedy feckers.
            How do the two communitys get on together out there? Its an honest question folks. I honestly dont know. I always assumed they got on fairly well. I know theres a land issue but thats to be expected in any colonised country and always a very tricky issue, but in general do the two communitys exist well together?

Comment

It appears as if no one so far understands the situation, so I suggest a bit of googling.

Comment

well i understand the situation....and i think the indigenous people have a lot to be angry about...you think a handout of a bit of pension, some claps on the back telling them theyre now almost on par with real people will wipe out generations of abuse.........they owned the country...they were abused for years, families split up....uneducated....regarded as interlopers and not even citizens in their own country....i think its going to take generations for them to get over it.....

here we give our native people (im not supposed to call them that though but cant remember the updated socially accepted word) tax relief or exemption....some land for reserves..and some other little bits and bobs, but they are mostly uneducated, they have a very high suicide rate they have a high addiction rate.....much abuse in the reserves..we take their children and put them into foster homes then rehouse them when they are older back in the reserves.....we are still treating them badly but expect them to be thanful...for what....we took their land....broke their families.....and abused them....id be pissed if i was them too

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                  well i understand the situation....and i think the indigenous people have a lot to be angry about...you think a handout of a bit of pension, some claps on the back telling them theyre now almost on par with real people will wipe out generations of abuse.........they owned the country...they were abused for years, families split up....uneducated....regarded as interlopers and not even citizens in their own country....i think its going to take generations for them to get over it.....

here we give our native people (im not supposed to call them that though but cant remember the updated socially accepted word) tax relief or exemption....some land for reserves..and some other little bits and bobs, but they are mostly uneducated, they have a very high suicide rate they have a high addiction rate.....much abuse in the reserves..we take their children and put them into foster homes then rehouse them when they are older back in the reserves.....we are still treating them badly but expect them to be thanful...for what....we took their land....broke their families.....and abused them....id be pissed if i was them too
                  they should get an oil well or a goldmine each....i am serious
                  Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post

me too......

Comment

Same here Helen.Here we call them Native Americans now,Got a raw deal in the history of America,Shamefu!

Comment

Aborigines here are not treated like you say Canada or the States treat their indigenous people. True they were only allowed to vote in 1967, but the winds of change have certainly turned since then.The Labour government in the 70's gave them back major land masses, such as Kakadu to safeguard. You'll have to google this to appreciate how big this is. Kakadu is home to Uluru, formely Ayres Rock. They control this region and many many other places. They are given every chance in improving their lot through education, & billions in all sorts of grants, but sadly many have not availed of this opportunity, which many migrants to this country and their children have.

In my opinion no people should own the land, we are custodians instead. We all should try and leave this earth/ land in a better place than we found it and pass it on to the next generation. What would be the situation now if Australia was not settled.? Would other peoples want to come here and start a new life in a vast continent, or would the aborigines refuse all comers, and choose to live their lifestyle.

It amazes me how peole get up in arms and still choose to live where they do.I suggest for the benefit of this discussion that people should research this subject. Helen has which is great. I am no expert but I know a fair bit on this subject.

Comment

Nearly certain the title is.........First Nation People. Don't sue me if I'm wrong :-)

Comment

well what happened to their sacred burial ground outside sidney......what was built on it....the children were taken from their parents.......they were part of the flower and fawna act before 1967 not just unable to vote...tony this treatment of them went on till the mid 60s...they werent treated as people in their own land up until the mid 60s....no excuses....so i cant even say they didnt get respect...they werent people....

here in north america we have done atrocious things to our native owners of the land.....and are trying to make amends....its not something thats going to happen fast or immediately irrespective how many handouts we give them....the damage we did.....and the ozzies did go deep and are terrible..jesus more than how many generations of irish are still disgruntled about their treatment at the hands of the invaders

Comment

SS I think yer comment of .....".but sadly many have not availed of this opportunity, which many migrants to this country and their children have." is a bit misleading.

Firstly why should they want to change to "our" way of life if they prefer to continue their traditional ways. ?

Secondly a great many have chosen to comply and live in a manner that is more acceptable to the rest of us. Some are better off and some are not.

It is appalling how they have been treated and how some are still treated.

I don't know the solution , all I can say is that I know a fair few aboriginals most of whom are terrific and some of whom are dead shits ...... same mix as the rest of the population in Australia.

Comment

Working...
                              X