We Built This City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Built This City

Short film on the role of Irish immigrants on the construction sites of London in the 1950s and 60s here...

irish construction-workers.jpg
    Everything is self-evident.

Originally posted by cogito View Post
    Short film on the role of Irish immigrants on the construction sites of London in the 1950s and 60s here...

[ATTACH]66058[/ATTACH]
    I worked on the Whitgift centre in Croydon in the 60's Some say it was the first shopping mall in the UK....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
      I worked on the Whitgift centre in Croydon in the 60's Some say it was the first shopping mall in the UK....
      Whitgift shortly after it was opened...

croydon.jpg
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Whitgift shortly after it was opened...

[ATTACH]66059[/ATTACH]
        Thank you cogs,,,,,,,Robert Dyas shop on the right......

'Platt-Schindler'' lifts then......

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
          Thank you cogs,,,,,,,Robert Dyas shop on the right......

'Platt-Schindler'' lifts then......
          Seems appropriate to mention that Robert Dyas himself came from Co Meath.......he came to England with a fiver and set up his first shop in London in 1872.......there's no longer a shop in Croydon. I know the head office and warehouse in Croydon were destroyed in a fire in the 60s but I'm not sure if that was in the Whitgift Centre.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
            Seems appropriate to mention that Robert Dyas himself came from Co Meath.......he came to England with a fiver and set up his first shop in London in 1872.......there's no longer a shop in Croydon. I know the head office and warehouse in Croydon were destroyed in a fire in the 60s but I'm not sure if that was in the Whitgift Centre.

Robert Dyas was the local tool shop then........Though strangely Dyas was dearer than Harvey Nichols for it's tool range,,,,,,,

Comment

Working...
            X