If the Sco......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dt,

the nearest I got to ' irish' was 'nor`n irish' but they would be billy boys .
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
      dt,

the nearest I got to ' irish' was 'nor`n irish' but they would be billy boys .
      Yeah..... but didn't ye find a huge difference when you met the lads out of their home environment, as opposed to when they were home on leave.
      They seemed completely different animals away from it all.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

dt,

generally that was the go, but I remember when I was drafted to subs in `66 ,the mob done away with volunteers because it was at the height of the cold war and the nuclear boats were newly deployed ,so a huge number or turnaround crews were needed. I remember one night I went for a beer to the naffi , I walked up to the bar, asked for a beer, at the same time a group of tars over the otherside of the room [the place was empty except for them] were singing their heads off 'the sash' , before I even got a beer , the barman ses to me, you`d be better off not hanging around here son [I was only 17], he musta twigged my accent.
        in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
          Jaysus Joe, I'm currently in Yorktown , right beside the battlefields, I'd best be keeping me mouth shut to the locals about that news! Lol

Yes Maire......keep stum, but it was the French.......

The French spent so much money and effort winning the American Revolution that it devastated their economy........Which in turn, led directly to the French revolution.........

And, do not tell them I told you......

And, you got the statue of liberty to prove it....
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Being English......is being British.....
            Being Scottish .....is being British.....
            Being Welch.........is being British...
            Being Northern Irish.....is being British.......

Yes, they are Irish and British........

Comment

On a point of order quinner I disagree.

The Union, and this is clearly stated on the cover of their Passports, is between Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That places Northern Ireland pretty firmly outside Britain but within the United Kingdom. A subtle yet valid distinction. Therefore the Northern Irish are not British.
              Last edited by Hagar; 13-08-2014, 03:50 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Originally posted by Hagar View Post
                On a point of order quinner I disagree.

The Union, and this is clearly stated on the cover of their Passports, is between Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That places Northern Ireland pretty firmly outside Britain but within the United Kingdom. A subtle yet valid distinction. Therefore the Northern Irish are not British.
                You......forgot to ask them......

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                  You......forgot to ask them......
                  In the years few years I've been up there, and the many years I've spent with them..........They are Irish and British......

And like everybody else on the Island are entitled to live there......

Comment

In the years few years I've been up there, and the many years I've spent with them..........They are Irish and British......
                    The time I spent up there working with people from both sides of the divide does has not caused any alteration in the space time continuum so I'm going to lay it to one side as being irrelevant.

I think I've just proved rather conclusively that under the Act of Union they are not British despite any wishful thinking on their part. The truth is that they are inhabitants of a minor, failed little sectarian statelet with no great claim to fame except cornering the world market on hatred and living in the past. The sooner they realise that they have more in common with us than they have with the British the sooner international relationships in these islands will start to take on some semblance of normalcy.

As for what they call themselves, they could call themselves Icelandic if they wished but would that make it true? They are Northern Irish, no more, no less.

As people born on an island called Ireland I suppose we could stretch to allowing them to call themselves Irish.

And like everybody else on the Island are entitled to live there......
                    As were the people forcibly evicted to make room for them.
                    Last edited by Hagar; 13-08-2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

The time I spent up there working with people from both sides of the divide does has not caused any alteration in the space time continuum so I'm going to lay it to one side as being irrelevant. I think I've just proved rather conclusively that under the Act of Union they are not British despite any wishful thinking on their part. The truth is that they are inhabitants of a minor, failed little sectarian statelet with no great claim to fame except cornering the world market on hatred and living in the past. The sooner they realise that they have more in common with us than they have with the British the sooner international relationships in these islands will start to take on some semblance of normalcy.

As for what they call themselves, they could call themselves Icelandic if they wished but would that make it true? They are Northern Irish, no more, no less.

As people born on an island called Ireland I suppose we could stretch to allowing them to call themselves Irish.

As were the people forcibly evicted to make room for them.
                      never met any of the ''evictors''...........of course I only associated with ordinary working people, mostly living in social housing.......

Though I did meet a Billy Quinn who lived there and was buying his own house.......no relation and same name as my brother......
                      He was proud to be British.......as is his right.........

Maybe he will be Scottish soon.......one never knows.....

I better stop watching western movies.....all those ''evictors''.........

Comment

never met any of the ''evictors''...........of course I only associated with ordinary working people, mostly living in social housing.......

Though I did meet a Billy Quinn who lived there and was buying his own house.......no relation and same name as my brother......
                        He was proud to be British.......as is his right.........

Maybe he will be Scottish soon.......one never knows.....

I better stop watching western movies.....all those ''evictors''.........
                        Was he born in Britain or perhaps his parents were?
                        Or was he just another Billy Boy desperately trying to be something he's not?

Comment

Was he born in Britain or perhaps his parents were?
                          Or was he just another Billy Boy desperately trying to be something he's not?
                          nicest man you ever met.......never touched a bomb in his life......

Another one of the O'Cuinn clan....somewhere down the line.....

And like myself, proud that his children are British.......

Comment

Comment

you do realise us O'CUINNS come from a very famous Irishman.....known for his prowess as a warrior and reputed to have won ten battles....

But, like many of our forebears he probably left Britain in a hurry when the Romans came.....

But, now I'm surrounded by the remnants of the German tribes with all the Norman nobles still owning vast tracts of the countryside.....

them French Norsemen were great at evicting.......

Comment

them French Norsemen were great at evicting.......
                                Indeed, but I have had the good grace to go home after all these years. Why don't the Planters?

Comment

Working...
                                X