Repealing the Eighth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    I can see where you're coming from Bo but my point is that people get so emotional and indignant about this issue that they fail to actually listen to what the other side has to say and it just becomes a slanging match with no room for compromise.
    You are very wrong and ignorant to involve me with any ''side''.....There is only side to this issue and that is the victims side.........

Now go and play your own games......I take all human life very serious......
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
      You are very wrong and ignorant to involve me with any ''side''.....There is only side to this issue and that is the victims side.........

Now go and play your own games......I take all human life very serious......
      There clearly are two sides to the argument - if there weren't we would not be discussing it - or trying to discuss it. And I'm not playing any games -I'd like to know what you mean by that statement, though I'm pretty sure you're not going to tell me.

Comment

There clearly are two sides to the argument - if there weren't we would not be discussing it - or trying to discuss it. And I'm not playing any games -I'd like to know what you mean by that statement, though I'm pretty sure you're not going to tell me.

It will always be wrong to take human life........You can debate the legal issue all you like....

I CLEARLY STATED I WOULD NEVER GET INVOLVED IN THE LEGAL ISSUE..

Just to enlighten your obvious ignorance......Anything that is alive and human is ...Human Life......

Comment

It will always be wrong to take human life........You can debate the legal issue all you like....

I CLEARLY STATED I WOULD NEVER GET INVOLVED IN THE LEGAL ISSUE..

Just to enlighten your obvious ignorance......Anything that is alive and human is ...Human Life......
          You have now called me ignorant for the second time. Do you think that's an appropriate way to conduct yourself on a public forum? And might I remind you that using capital letters when addressing someone online is considered as shouting. Please do not shout at me.

Comment

Roughly 85% of the population in Ireland is Catholic....that would make the likelihood of the medical staff in Irish hospitals being Catholic, very high. If the new legislation allows abortion on demand up until 12 weeks..who will perform or assist at these abortions.

Comment

I can see where you're coming from Bo but my point is that people get so emotional and indignant about this issue that they fail to actually listen to what the other side has to say and it just becomes a slanging match with no room for compromise.
              I realise that KM , and I'm old enough to remember the original referendum in 1983 and was totally against putting it into our constitution . It looked at the time that the Catholic church were muscling in again into our lives and as it turned out , created more problems than it solved ( x case etc )
              However , at the time of the amendment , there was no groundswell of support for abortion , in fact , quite the opposite, so it was totally unnecessary .
              I still dont support it , but now we have a referendum on its way to not only the repeal of it , but also to put abortion into our constitution .
              If that vote is carried , the inevitable consequences will be , the elimination of Downs Syndrome as is happening in GB, Iceland, and most Scandanavian Counties along with the healthy fetuses that are aborted for social and economic reasons . I cant imagine the loss of these little ones ( emotive language but there you go ) to our society here , and by that I mean the difference between the amount of babies that would not be born should it be legalised , projected to be about 12 % and the 4% current abortion rate thats carried out by the woman going abroad .

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                Quinner , you are not allowed to say it like it is in this debate . You are to cloak the abortion procedure in more acceptable terms like womens healthcare , first trimesters, surgical ,vacuum etc, and never refer to the unborn as a baby , its a fetus , a clump of cells or an embryo .
                On the dilemma facing Varadkar re , which way for him to support , heres a novel idea . Its pretty crowded on the so called liberal side what with M Martin coming out in favour of unrestricted abortion up to 12 weeks ,and joining FF with all the other parties position on this . Could he not maybe stay where he previously said he was on the issue , ie abortion only for rape and fatal fetal abnormality . I believe they may lose the referendum if they go with what the Peoples Assembly recommended 12 weeks etc , and he would look to be the statesman unlike MM who flip flopped big time on the issue recently .
                A debate is a debate and all opinions should have the freedom to be express the truth. The Truth. Otherwise it's pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                  Roughly 85% of the population in Ireland are Catholic....that would make the likelihood of the medical staff in Irish hospitals being Catholic, very high. If the new legislation allows abortion on demand up until 12 weeks..who will perform or assist at these abortions.
                  That would mean most people in the country are also Catholic, yet I'm assuming many of these "Catholics" will be voting to repeal the amendment? So that would probably include a fair number of the medical staff too.........if they're going to vote for the legislation presumably they wouldn't have any objections to carrying it out.......i've no idea what it means to be "Catholic" in Ireland now, whether most people still follow it to the letter, or just pay lip-service, or play pick'n'mix with the Catholic teachings, as I used to do.......

what i'm trying to say here is, if most of the population is Catholic, and being Catholic automatically meant being anti-abortion, then there wouldn't be a referendum in the first place.......if that makes sense.
                  Last edited by KatieMorag; 21-01-2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Hi. Good to see the forum is going strong.

Comment

You have now called me ignorant for the second time. Do you think that's an appropriate way to conduct yourself on a public forum? And might I remind you that using capital letters when addressing someone online is considered as shouting. Please do not shout at me.

You are ignorant to involve me in anything after I clearly stated I would not get involved.....

Now go and play your games.......I take all human life seriously......

I used Capitals as you clearly did not read my previous posts........

Making something legal does not make it right.......

Now I await your reinforcements to arrive.....

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                        I realise that KM , and I'm old enough to remember the original referendum in 1983 and was totally against putting it into our constitution . It looked at the time that the Catholic church were muscling in again into our lives and as it turned out , created more problems than it solved ( x case etc )
                        However , at the time of the amendment , there was no groundswell of support for abortion , in fact , quite the opposite, so it was totally unnecessary .
                        I still dont support it , but now we have a referendum on its way to not only the repeal of it , but also to put abortion into our constitution .
                        If that vote is carried , the inevitable consequences will be , the elimination of Downs Syndrome as is happening in GB, Iceland, and most Scandanavian Counties along with the healthy fetuses that are aborted for social and economic reasons . I cant imagine the loss of these little ones ( emotive language but there you go ) to our society here , and by that I mean the difference between the amount of babies that would not be born should it be legalised , projected to be about 12 % and the 4% current abortion rate thats carried out by the woman going abroad .
                        I don't really understand your point about the loss to society - putting aside the moral arguments, surely the benefits to society - financial, social, etc., and to the women concerned - would be greater than the disadvantages? And unwanted pregnancies are already prevented through contraception anyway - in purely practical terms, and again leaving aside the moral arguments, early abortion would just be an extension of family planning, which i would say anyone with an ounce of sense is in agreement with.....

Comment

You are ignorant to involve me in anything after I clearly stated I would not get involved.....

Now go and play your games.......I take all human life seriously......

I used Capitals as you clearly did not read my previous posts........

Making something legal does not make it right.......

Now I await your reinforcements to arrive.....
                          Can't be bothered responding to your drivel.

Comment

Can't be bothered responding to your drivel.

I can't ever remember you responding sensibly to actual facts.......

Hope you are keeping score in the game you are playing...

Comment

That would mean most people in the country are also Catholic, yet I'm assuming many of these "Catholics" well be voting to repeal the act?
                              I would doubt that very much Katie....we have an ageing population here in Ireland and as one of those oldies... I would never vote for abortion on demand.
                              The Catholic Church and it's teachings are alive and thriving in the area I live in. Sunday morning mass is attended by local GP's, nursing and medical staff, medical consultants, their children go to school together and play GAA together.

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                                I would doubt that very much Katie....we have an ageing population here in Ireland and as one of those oldies... I would never vote for abortion on demand.
                                The Catholic Church and it's teachings are alive and thriving in the area I live in. Sunday morning mass is attended by local GP's, nursing and medical staff, medical consultants, their children go to school together and play GAA together.
                                But in the medical profession there's probably more younger people, who might not feel the same.
                                I know over here it used to be the case that Catholics could opt out of performing abortions - not sure if that's still the case. So they might put something similar in place in Ireland.

Comment

Working...
                                X