Ireland: From 1916 to the War of Independence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    The name "Sinn Fein" has been subject to a lot of confusion over the years. In 1916, the Easter Rising was referred to as "The Sinn Fein Rising" by the authorities, the press and the public, and even before the Rising, all non-constitutional nationalists appear to have been known as "Sinn Feiners". However, Arthur Griffith's original Sinn Fein party was not involved in the events of April 1916; indeed, Griffiths himself was firmly opposed to the insurrection and, along with Bulmer Hobson and Eoin MacNeill, did all he could to prevent it.
    Sinn Fein - or "Ourselves Alone" - started life as one of a number of Nationalist pressure groups in Ireland in the early years of the 20th century. It was, in fact, an amalgamation of several groups, including Griffith's own "Cumann na nGaedhael" (Tribe of the Gaels) and Bulmer Hobson's mainly Ulster-based Dungannon Clubs. Griffith was not in favour of armed rebellion; he believed that the only way for Ireland to achieve independence was through a policy of passive resistance. This would entail a withdrawal from Westminster and the establishment of an Irish assembly. He was no Republican, either: he wanted Ireland to be part of a "Dual Monarchy" under the British Crown, using the Hungarian nationalists of the 1860s as his model. He also favoured the revival of the Celtic language and culture and making Ireland economically self-sufficient. He produced a paper, also called "Sinn Fein" from 1906 until 1914 when it was banned. The party won 15 seats in the Dublin local elections of 1908, but did not win the North Leitrim by-election.
    After the Rising, Sinn Fein was re-organised along militant republican lines. Eamonn de Valera was elected as its president and in 1918 the party won 73 seats at Westminster. The Irish MPs refused to take their seats at Westminster, in line with the policy of Griffith's original party. However there was to be no "Dual Monarchy" and the new Dail Eirann declared Ireland as an independent republic.

Source: History Today

http://www.historytoday.com/richard-...tion-sinn-fein
    Noh bein picky but.... 'The Sinn Fein Rebellion"
    and even that was inaccurate ..........
    Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 16-12-2017, 05:00 AM.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

okay, I'll change it to "rebellion".........pickiness on this thread is getting worse.....

Comment

okay, I'll change it to "rebellion".........pickiness on this thread is getting worse.....
        Ahh sure once the oul pickiness starts....what can oi say. Ye might want te have a pick at "(Sinn) (Us) We...(Fein) Ourselves"

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
          Ahh sure once the oul pickiness starts....what can oi say. Ye might want te have a pick at "(Sinn) (Us) We...(Fein) Ourselves"
          Cogs might put us straight in a minute...

Comment

bog off.....I'm not changing anything else......birthday or no birthday.......

Comment

bog off.....I'm not changing anything else......birthday or no birthday.......
              lmao... ahh gowan

Comment

A decent pic of Arthur Griffith and wife Maud.
                Attached Files

Comment

.......... Inflation or what !!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

I suppose they had to call it that; what else could they call it? They couldn't call it "The IRB Rebellion" because the IRB was an underground organisation and they couldn't have said "Volunteer Rebellion" because that would be too vague and there were other groups involved - I suppose they went with "Sinn Fein" because the party and the newspapers were a sort of mouthpiece for nationalism in general and for anti-British sentiment, and it had a good ring to it......

Comment

I suppose they had to call it that; what else could they call it? They couldn't call it "The IRB Rebellion" because the IRB was an underground organisation and they couldn't have said "Volunteer Rebellion" because that would be too vague and there were other groups involved - I suppose they went with "Sinn Fein" because the party and the newspapers were a sort of mouthpiece for nationalism in general and for anti-British sentiment, and it had a good ring to it......
                      The picky gremlin is back again......sorry !!!!
                      Though not a monarchist himself, Griffith advocated such an approach for the Anglo-Irish relationship, namely that Ireland should become a separate kingdom alongside Great Britain, the two forming a dual monarchy with a shared monarch but separate governments, as it was thought this solution would be more palatable to the British.

Comment

The picky gremlin is back again......sorry !!!!

Sorry Mr Picktheweather, what's wrong with that statement? I don't think Griffith actually LIKED the British, he just thought it was the way to get independent government
                        Last edited by KatieMorag; 16-12-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Sorry Mr Picktheweather, what's wrong with that statement? I don't think Griffith actually LIKED the British, he just thought it was the way to get independent government
                          Picktheweather Oh he advocated a monarch.... a Brit monarch... Oh and a German one as well...so not altogether anti Brit....or anti Dominion ....Independent one yes but a Brit monarch at the head.
                          Pickettywitch ....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdWh-V3Gwx8

Comment

Picktheweather Oh he advocated a monarch.... a Brit monarch... Oh and a German one as well...so not altogether anti Brit....or anti Dominion ....Independent one yes but a Brit monarch at the head.
                            Pickettywitch ....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdWh-V3Gwx8
                            I'm sure I've read stuff about him dissing the British Empire, supporting the Boers, objecting to royal visits etc.......but as you say he was in favour of the monarchy......think the guy was probably a bit confused lol......I certainly am!
                            Anyway we're probably getting sidetracked with all this Griffith stuff.........

Comment

I'm sure I've read stuff about him dissing the British Empire, supporting the Boers, objecting to royal visits etc.......but as you say he was in favour of the monarchy......think the guy was probably a bit confused lol......I certainly am!
                              Anyway we're probably getting sidetracked with all this Griffith stuff.........
                              He was a wonderful fella......and was about tween '16 an the War of Independence.....so all on track if were bein picky..

Comment

The Aftermath of the Rising

Before we fast-forward to the release of the prisoners/internees (to satisfy Mr Bird) I thought we should take a look at what had been happening at home in Ireland as a direct result of the Easter Rising.
                                In terms of achieving its proclaimed objective - the immediate establishment of an internationally recognised Irish Republic - the rebellion of 1916 was an unmitigated failure. Yet it was also the catalyst for much of what happened next; a seminal moment in Irish history, perhaps the defining one. As Yeats predicted in his poem "Easter 1916", Ireland was to be changed irrevocably by these events; a "terrible beauty" had indeed been born. It's impossible to say how the course of Irish history would have progressed had this key event not taken place to set the wheels in motion. Perhaps the threat of Conscription or the ongoing opposition of Ulster to Home Rule would have triggered some similar event at some point over the next couple of years, but it was the Rising -or rather the British response to it - that was instrumental in changing the hearts and minds of the Irish public.

To be continued..........

Comment

Working...
                                X