Old Chestnut Gun control US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
    To clarify that for you Quinner, the they in this case are those who use the guns, who hunt, kill animals and those who also graduate to killing people. Not everybody in the US owns a gun. I have several American friends and none of them ever owned a gun.
    vico,

you are right about these 'trophy' hunters , I shoot at targets ,[I fact I`m only in the door ten minutes ago after a shoot] but I couldn`t shoot at a defenceless animal, but here in Australia and I`m sure in the states and Canada where you have wild animals, farmers and people who live in the out back need guns to protect themselves. I don`t know about the killing animals and then graduate to killing humans is a valid point,this probably applies to people who strangle and stab also. I`d say there are killers who never shot a weapon before killing someone, there are too many variables in this debate to have one answer, better control is definately needed in the states.
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Helen said if the bad and the good have guns that all is seemingly equal, but that just means people are scared to go about their normal lives. We have home invasions here and I guess if ordinary people had guns there would be a lot of dead people, and that would include families who tried to tackle these nutters who are 100% ready to kill if challenged, and they don't just knock on your door and say ready or not. Our Prime Minister John Howard in 1996 called a gun amnesty and thousands of guns were handed back in, and semi automatics etc were banned. lots disagreed saying only the baddies would have guns, but Australia is a safer place for it. Someone mentioned Norway which had that terrible mass slaughter, but that was it. In America it is constant, not everyone wants to kill but I guess there are enough who can & will. People have been killed in their workplaces because some crazy lost his job. If he has not got the weapons it lessens his chances. Police advise here if people invade their homes to let them have whatever they want to avoid their families being killed or badly injured.
      today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

tony,

I think that remark from helen was tongue in cheek maybe, there are more guns in Australia now than before john howard done his thing, 1,000,000 firearms were handed in then and are now replaced by 104,000 , it was I who mentioned Norway, I was just making the point where it only takes one crazy to make a mockery of stats. the ownership of firearms in Australia has declined o.k, but that's because the population has increased since 1988 so per capita it looks like theres less firearms out there. home invasions are a horrible thing ,but they are not always carried out by gunslinging thugs...thugs never the less. I totally agree with the ban on semi automatic weapons as there is no need for them imo,. ....the problem in the u.s is that the RIGHT to bear arms is written into the constitution and the majority of the people don`t want to change that.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
          300 million innocents in the USA....?

Canada was built on the slaughter of innocent animals......for their fur.....
          You are the one who put in the statistics Quinner, not me. I am not in a position to accept or refute that number.

You are probably correct re Canada, they are still slaughtering seals. But that does not makes right or ethical.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
            vico,

you are right about these 'trophy' hunters , I shoot at targets ,[I fact I`m only in the door ten minutes ago after a shoot] but I couldn`t shoot at a defenceless animal, but here in Australia and I`m sure in the states and Canada where you have wild animals, farmers and people who live in the out back need guns to protect themselves. I don`t know about the killing animals and then graduate to killing humans is a valid point,this probably applies to people who strangle and stab also. I`d say there are killers who never shot a weapon before killing someone, there are too many variables in this debate to have one answer, better control is definately needed in the states.
            Totally agree, better control is required, and there are as you say variables. Though I am not happy about killing, I can understand the situation re farmers who are protecting themselves or their livestock. My comments were not about them, they were about the trophy hunters, those who kill for the sake of it, no valid reason at all. And yes I would agree that it is highly likely there are people who murdered others, but never killed anything before. They are crimes of passion I would say.

Why I used the expression "graduate to killing humans" is that it has been found that psychos who torture humans, all began by torturing animals first. Any violent action repeated desensitizes the aggressor towards the value of the life he is hurting. Believing you have the right to kill, just for the hell of it is a mind set and an evil one at that.

Do you remember last year when that Dentist murdered Cecil, lured him out of the protected area with food and then killed him. Thankfully there was a huge outcry over that. We have a lot to answer for the way we treat our planet and our fellow planetarians.

Glad you are one of the good guys Cosmo

Comment

I agree that deer and in Australia's case kangaroos need to be culled as sometimes they are in huge numbers and can not get enough feed, and especially foxes who are a terrible pest here, brought in by the english gentry to hunt. They have no predators to killl them but they kill so much native wildlife. This should be done by professionals I feel. I would not like the job.
              today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

there is a scheme here in Australia called farmer assist , as there are huge numbers of 'pest' animals , farmers are not capable of keeping the numbers down so they get help from local or interstate gun clubs help. anyone who applies for this must undergo an extra target shooting test to make sure they will be able to put down a 'pest' [a sad description ] with one shot humanely .

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                  I agree that deer and in Australia's case kangaroos need to be culled as sometimes they are in huge numbers and can not get enough feed, and especially foxes who are a terrible pest here, brought in by the english gentry to hunt. They have no predators to killl them but they kill so much native wildlife. This should be done by professionals I feel. I would not like the job.

I though there were Scots. Welch. and Irish gentry also in Austrailia......They must have left their Foxes at home....
                  Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

British gentry

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post
                      British gentry

Do you really think there are /were others there......LOL.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                        You are the one who put in the statistics Quinner, not me. I am not in a position to accept or refute that number.

You are probably correct re Canada, they are still slaughtering seals. But that does not makes right or ethical.
                        I think it is very sad and tragic when anybody gets murdered/maimed by any method.

I also think it is not a good reason for blaming a whole Nation.....

Comment

I think it is very sad and tragic when anybody gets murdered/maimed by any method.

I also think it is not a good reason for blaming a whole Nation.....
                          What ye on about...who ye blamin fer blamin a whole nation.... If yer up fer a ruggy yiv come te the righ place....now get yer ducks in a row or dor'll be a row.
                          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                            What ye on about...who ye blamin fer blamin a whole nation.... If yer up fer a ruggy yiv come te the righ place....now get yer ducks in a row or dor'll be a row.
                            I have not mentioned your own personal Dictatorship.....Get your secret Police to keep you informed...Please....

Comment

I have not mentioned your own personal Dictatorship.....Get your secret Police to keep you informed...Please....
                              Secret polis......have ye a number oi can call ? oh... an stop bein so grumpy.
                              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                                Secret polis......have ye a number oi can call ? oh... an stop bein so grumpy.

Tin-pot 3333333...

Not me. I always win, and get to sentence bike-thieves.....

Comment

Working...
                                X