The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
    I often wish I had gone back to the school when I was a teenager and had a good confrontation with my teacher who I had from the time I was seven until I left,

She knocked any confidence I had out of me, She was an unmarried spinster and she was never fit to teach. I could read from the time I was five, taught by my Dad and I was very good at Maths.

Whenever we had a tempory teacher because our real teacher was ill I bloomed and going to school was a pleasure. They loved my english Essays and often copied them for other schools. That made me feel ten feet tall, Then one morning Your wan would come back and school became my prison once more.

Its my regret I never did confront her and ask her why I was so disliked. But as a teenager I had a lot of more pleasant things to do. lol! I could have injured two nuns in particular but some others I adored
    Joan; It's all water over the dam.Just let it go,as I'm sure she is not in a position to care any more,and anyway,we all like you.
    Last edited by Ed O'Gorman; 29-03-2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Confirmation day St Agnes Church 1957
      The nun looking like Darth Vader keeping a weary eye on everyone.
      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Ed your a real pet. When I was a young Mammy my son came home from school with a big bald patch in the middle of his head. This son was the quietest member of my family. He now works in Leinster house Chief State Treasurer, of Nama (yes I am boasting proud Mammy)

I asked what had happened and he said he was pushed out of his line and the head master had lifted him up by the hood of his duffle coat also grabbing his hair,

I saw Pure RED and I ran to the school and tried to confront him and he was so nasty, Told me to get back to Crumlin or Ballyfermot or where ever I came from. So I charged him with assault

One day the parish priest came down and begged me to drop the charges as the Headmaster was under a great deal of stress, I told him that the said Headmaster should not be teaching so.

A few weeks later The Bishop arrived a lovely man Bishop O Mahoney and after he talked to me I said just for him I would drop the charges, I also insisted on an apology.

I told the Bishop that I washed my Kids and I fed them and that I sent them to school to be educated and not to be beaten up.

One day I could not have been more disorganized and I had my hair in rollers when to the upside down house came the Headmaster Grovelling I felt I had made up for all the years I put up with shite, I was determined my Kids were not going to have to endure something similar. Not one of my children were ever abused in that school again although I am sure they often deserved it.

Great now that has all been done away with Children should never have to fear school

Comment

• lol! Just noticed that Nun now. They usually went around in twos, She sure has a cranky looking face

Comment

lol! Just noticed that Nun now. They usually went around in twos, She sure has a cranky looking face
            Yes and probably had a lot to answer for as well.

Comment

• That Picture was taken in 1957 I was still there then and yet I can't recall her face.

I remember Sister Joseph Sister Francis and the devil incarnate Sr Madeleine, She would roll up her sleeves and in doing so frighten the shite out of you

Then she would hit you with her bunch of keys and even her rosary beads and her very heavy leather and you could see the witch was enjoying it. She was only a young nun but full of malice unless your family were well to do then she would fawn on you

Comment

lol! Just noticed that Nun now. They usually went around in twos, She sure has a cranky looking face
                They had to go out in twos they were not allowed to go out alone. One day I had to accompany a nun from Loreto College in Stephens Green to UCD which was then in Earlsfort Terrace, literally down the road. She was going down to do her music finals, and she was not allowed to go alone. Then I had to go back and collect her when they were finished. It was the craziest system ever.

Comment

• They may have feared she would run off. Nobody going to run off with your wan at the Confo.

In the choir I sing with there are two nuns, They dress in Civies they are funny and so lovely even talk about old boyfriends they once had. They do a lot of hospital visits to people with no relatives, Certainly not like the nuns I grew up with

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                    They had to go out in twos they were not allowed to go out alone. One day I had to accompany a nun from Loreto College in Stephens Green to UCD which was then in Earlsfort Terrace, literally down the road. She was going down to do her music finals, and she was not allowed to go alone. Then I had to go back and collect her when they were finished. It was the craziest system ever.
                    Nun of this,nun of thar and nun of the udder

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
                      Nun of this,nun of thar and nun of the udder
                      It reminds me of the story when a new priest was appointed to the town and he was talking to the reverent mother.She told him that the best way to get to know the people was to take a walk through the village.He set off walking and was doing grand until he came to a place where a lady of the night was trying to do a bit of business.would you like a quickie father she said only 10 euro.He didn’t pay any attention to her and kept on walking.When he got back the reverent mother asked him how he got on,grand he said but tell me what is a quickie.Oh she said 10 euro just like the village

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                        It reminds me of the story when a new priest was appointed to the town and he was talking to the reverent mother.She told him that the best way to get to know the people was to take a walk through the village.He set off walking and was doing grand until he came to a place where a lady of the night was trying to do a bit of business.would you like a quickie father she said only 10 euro.He didn’t pay any attention to her and kept on walking.When he got back the reverent mother asked him how he got on,grand he said but tell me what is a quickie.Oh she said 10 euro just like the village
                        Rasher that doesn't sound like any of the nuns I knew. That is hilarious. I am trying to imagine any of the nuns I knew offering a quickie, and even more difficult trying to image anybody accepting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                          Rasher that doesn't sound like any of the nuns I knew. That is hilarious. I am trying to imagine any of the nuns I knew offering a quickie, and even more difficult trying to image anybody accepting.
                          What....not even the fathers?

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
                            What....not even the fathers?
                            Well we did have two good looking nuns at the convent, so maybe

Comment

• It always seemed strange to me before that priests had there own personal housekeeper in the old days. I remember in Crumlin going to the priest's house and been brought in by the housekeeper. It never really clicked with me until about 1985 when the Parish priest in my parish openly wept on the altar asking us to pray for him as his housekeeper of thirty nine years had died and I thought, He is acting almost as if she was his wife,

Thankfully now most priests look after their own needs but how come we never thought they were capable of shacking up with the Housekeeper like Father Michael Clery did.

Last year in the parish we got an American priest who came over when he heard we had a shortage of priests, We were pleased until we realised he had brought his live in Housekeeper when his year was up he was very surprised that the Archbishop refused to give him a letter to extend his visa

He was enjoying the job to much

Comment

• Confirmation St Agnes School 1957
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X