Eamon De Valera aka George (Edward) de Valero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    Was dev illigitimate...I just remembered what my dad used to call him...
    Well, as you mention it....as was mentioned in Rashers post....there has never been a sighting of a marriage certificate....and it's probably true to say that Dev's first calling was the priesthood....unfortunately the doubt as to his legitimacy barred him from that calling....they simply turned him down. All in all your Da might well have been right. The nearest Dev got to being a man of the cloth was to have a special wish carried out on his death....to be burried in a monks habit, which he was.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Naa not really...I mean the spy business is the exploration of delusion, whereas the only other one is an exploration of the man himself, a merger would only serve to detract and complicate the only serious thread in here on the longest serving man in any government in Europe bar Tito....best they stay as they are imo.
      Respect your opinion on the matter, but perhaps a moderator could clarify the position going forward, as im sure it would prevent various threads being started on peoples opinions of aspects other past Irish leaders, even if a thread already exists dedicated to that leader.

Comment

Well, as you mention it....as was mentioned in Rashers post....there has never been a sighting of a marriage certificate....and it's probably true to say that Dev's first calling was the priesthood....unfortunately the doubt as to his legitimacy barred him from that calling....they simply turned him down. All in all your Da might well have been right. The nearest Dev got to being a man of the cloth was to have a special wish carried out on his death....to be burried in a monks habit, which he was.
        Buried in a monk's habit? He sounds like a nutter

Comment

Originally posted by Gloria
          Mr. Quinn were you aware that there there are over 75,000 of your fellow British Old age pensioners that have settled in The Irish Republic. The reasons according to them selves is, The benefits they receive from the Irish state are far more generous than what is on offer by the British Government. You do not here me complaining about this massive drain on an already struggling nation.
          I am not a fan of Dev,but, He has given to the Irish nation something that no British Politician has given to the British people. and that is a written constitution. My dear fellow that Constitution is the envy of many Nations. Perhaps the British anti dev crew are rather envious of this legacy. What have you ever done for Ireland, Took the queens shillen. and donned the uniform of an army that helps to continue the occupation of my country by force. Were you aware that if you are claiming dual nationallity, and are resident in one of the countries, The other country will not afford or protect you as a citizen of that country. So Mr Quinn You are British and good luck to you. Just please stop trying to pull the wool over the members eyes. and saying you are Irish. This is an Irish forum so less of the anti Irish rhetoric. Stand up and be proud of your nationality . I am very proud to be Irish. You may be suffering an identity crisis, like some other ex pats here. put your mind at ease and ring up the Irish Embassy they will verify what I have stated.
          Off topic....can I suggest this personal attack on more than one member of the forum is at least relegated to the OFF TOPIC SIN BIN and at best deleted altogether lest it continues to hijack this thread, cause further offense and conflict.

Comment

Off topic....can I suggest this personal attack on more than one member of the forum is at least relegated to the OFF TOPIC SIN BIN and at best deleted altogether lest it continues to hijack this thread, cause further offense and conflict.
            The above post and reaction imo highlights my previous posts calling on a mod to perhaps combine threads.
            Last edited by Guest; 19-10-2013, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
              Buried in a monk's habit? He sounds like a nutter
              True...some might agree with your nutter tag but he was a clever nutter if he was....a nutter who was happy to accept the oath he incited people to fight and die for, while destroying the infrastructure of the country, only to later accept that oath and become the leader of the Free State he had tried so hard to destroy. And later to outlaw those same men at the same time presiding over some of their executions.

Comment

Originally posted by andy2013 View Post
                Maybe some moderator could move all the dev threads into one thread dedicated to dev like the collins dedication thread, here are some of the dev threads that already exist, im sure like collins there are many opinions of the man both positive and negative, would be great to have one place for both micko and eamo threads.
                lol

A look behind the name of the man who helped shape today's Ireland. Who and what exactly was Eamon de Valera ? The first question has to be his birth, the confusion over his name and why his and his fathers name was altered.

Just two at a quick glance
                Wake up Andy, second link points to this thread!! You better fix that.
                UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Ye never know....more strange true stories abound....stuff you couldn't make up. I just wonder how / why that little lost, abandoned and abused poor soul from New York ever became an Irish Rebel ?.
                  Perhaps after being turned down for the priesthood he was after a mission....like a lot of Irish rebels I think he was heavily into the Gaelic Revival.....Perhaps he was dissatisfied with life and thought Irish Freedom was his new calling. My ex-husband used to say he thought priests often went in for the priesthood because of the theatrical side of it.... they were guaranteed an audience; maybe he was right.

Comment

Moderator's note.

So far I've seen two personal attacks in this thread. This is strictly against forum policy.

Its understandable that where Mr DeValera and other are concerned that feelings still run high, but attacking a person rather than the post is unacceptable.

Future such attacks may either be deleted or moved to the Off Topic Sinbin.
                    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Our Illustrious Leader and his Constitution.........In recognising the power and influence of the Irish Catholic Clergy over the holy people of Ireland De Valero afforded his Blackrock College pal Archbishop John Charles McQuaid a huge stake in his newly written 1937 Constitution of Ireland, giving the catholic Church special status and control over the educational system. Separate Catholic schools allowed the clergy access to the innocent minds of the children....while his chosen legal fraternity, Judges, barristers and such like, aided and abetted by incompetent and negligent Government Ministers, Uncle Tom Cobley and all, to do with justice, right and wrong, condemned the underprivileged children to the horrors of the perverted sadists and paedophiles....who ran the Correction Institutions and Orphanages. Where was the good christian hero of the revolution then ?. More than likely lining his pockets and feathering his nest with the American donation money he stole from the state.

Comment

[QUOTE=Suzieq;274656]
                        Originally posted by andy2013
                        Andy i was only trying to help you, i do respect the views bit think this thread is interesting on its own. I do not think Dev was a British spy si why combine this thread with that other one?? Let Rashers be the judge of that eh??
                        No problem Suzie, im not an expert on Irish History, but i know in later years that oul Dev was leader of FF, and FF was in Government, which meant that the majority of people in this country voted for him, as majority must have voted for collins treaty, and there are a lot of calls from posters to respect that vote, but not other way around.

Anyhow i have become distracted, and still await comment from moderators around combining threads.

Comment

Moderator note: Quoted post removed: Personal and OT.

Comment on the post and not the poster, above post seems very personalised, back to my original comment that might dispel such personal attacks on members rather than posts, if all dev posts were to be combined.
                          Last edited by Rashers; 23-10-2013, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Andy 2013 does have a point, re people voting Dev in......although maybe at the time people were still thinking of Dev as a freedom fighter, and didn't know about his close relationship with this McQuaid bloke... and the abuse and stuff.......I'll admit I know very little about Irish history post-1916. All I know is that my parents referred to DeValera humourously as "the Devil"......I don't know if they ever voted for him.

Comment

Originally posted by andy2013 View Post
                              Comment on the post and not the poster, above post seems very personalised, back to my original comment that might dispel such personal attacks on members rather than posts, if all dev posts were to be combined.
                              Well they're not combined, so either stick to the subject of the OP, or give it a rest.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                                Andy 2013 does have a point, re people voting Dev in......although maybe at the time people were still thinking of Dev as a freedom fighter, and didn't know about his close relationship with this McQuaid bloke... and the abuse and stuff.......I'll admit I know very little about Irish history post-1916. All I know is that my parents referred to DeValera humourously as "the Devil"......I don't know if they ever voted for him.
                                I think Katie FF was in power for years on end during the 30-70, largest single party, dont know much myself, and not a dev fan, but i love a sense of give and take,and to hear different views,

Comment

Working...
                                X