Bits Of History Near You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bits Of History Near You

One thing of interest near us is an impressive Victorian building containing a pair of working classic Boulton Watt beam engines and pumps restored to their original 1887 condition.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

What were they used for ?
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      What were they used for ?
      It was a sewage pump house.

Comment

Not too far away we have Dinosaur Island...starting around 126 million years ago the rocks record the best exposures of dinosaur material in Europe.

Comment

The Battle of Barnet (wars of the Roses) is the most famous thing I can think of. In fact a lot of the roads in New Barnet have names like York Road, Tudor
          Road, and Plantagenet Road.
          Also the Barnet workhouse (where Barnet Hospital now stands) was apparently the inspiration for Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist and the old county
          boundary between London and Hertfordshire (just up the road from me) is apparently mentioned in the War of the Worlds....(though I suppose those two would be classed as "Bits of Literature".)
          Barnet is pretty boring where history is concerned......

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
            The Battle of Barnet (wars of the Roses) is the most famous thing I can think of. In fact a lot of the roads in New Barnet have names like York Road, Tudor
            Road, and Plantagenet Road.
            Also the Barnet workhouse (where Barnet Hospital now stands) was apparently the inspiration for Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist and the old county
            boundary between London and Hertfordshire (just up the road from me) is apparently mentioned in the War of the Worlds....(though I suppose those two would be classed as "Bits of Literature".)
            Barnet is pretty boring where history is concerned......
            Ye didn't do too bad there....all history is good. Ye mentioned Charlie Dickens...not too far from us is his birthplace.
            Attached Files

Comment

Visit Stonehenge and explore one of Britain’s most iconic sites and its fascinating history. You can book tours for a guided experience.
              Attached Files

Comment

The birthplace of Sir Walter Raleigh.

Hayes Barton, Woodbury Common, East Devon, South-West England, U.K.
                Last edited by jembo; 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM.
                I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Very interesting Noel, one thing about England, there is history around every corner, I have gra for the place!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                    You're cheating Noel.....given the distance between you and Salisbury Plain,
                    I'm entitled to post about all the historical events in London.....but I kept to
                    my own small area of Barnet.......

Comment

Ah sure England is a small place Katie, and since the pope got the bullet, he hasn't to confess it! Lol

Comment

frome in somerset......famous for supplying the blue uniform cloth for the uniforms of the imperial russian guard.......
                        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                          Very interesting Noel, one thing about England, there is history around every corner, I have gra for the place!
                          Someone was just saying that Eng know how to look after their heritage....and I agree they put a lot into historical sites and buildings...English Heritage is a great organization.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                            You're cheating Noel.....given the distance between you and Salisbury Plain,
                            I'm entitled to post about all the historical events in London.....but I kept to
                            my own small area of Barnet.......
                            Well I know, bent the OP rules slightly lol,...mind you, not that far at 38 mins. Will do some nearer later.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                              Well I know, bent the OP rules slightly lol,...mind you, not that far at 38 mins. Will do some nearer later.
                              nearer to me then....25 minutes.....
                              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X