Repealing the Eighth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Twobob View Post
    Will Varadkar's view alter your's Suzie , why wait to hear what he has to say ? .
    I am just interested in his views as leader of our country.
    UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by barefoot View Post
      From what I can gather the wording of the referendum should be ready no later than May....so maybe July or August for the referendum. Although there have been media reports that it may not be until October.

The Pope's visit is in August.....
      Do you think that would have any influence on the referendum, or do you think people will have made their minds up already?

Comment

From what I can gather the wording of the referendum should be ready no later than May....so maybe July or August for the referendum. Although there have been media reports that it may not be until October.

The Pope's visit is in August.....
        Still under the cosh then ?? .....if in October .

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
          Do you think that would have any influence on the referendum, or do you think people will have made their minds up already?
          He is head of the Catholic Church Katie ....of course his visit so close to the referendum will influence how Catholics will vote. I'm surprised that the government are having the referendum in the same year as the papal visit....but then again....

I thought I knew how I would vote until abortion on demand was brought to the table.
          Last edited by barefoot; 22-01-2018, 04:22 PM.

Comment

He is head of the Catholic Church Katie ....of course his visit so close to the referendum will influence how Catholics will vote. I'm surprised that the government are having the referendum in the same year as the papal visit....but then again.

I thought I knew how I would vote until abortion on demand was brought to the table.
            Yes, I suppose there must be a fair number of "floating voters" out there, and that's what could swing it.......

Comment

Yes, I suppose there must be a fair number of "floating voters" out there, and that's what could swing it.......
              If needing to know what I am voting for makes me a floating voter well then I will wear that hat....

My understanding is that to allow abortion on demand under Irish law the government have to abolish/do away with... items 58 and 59 of Offences Against The Persons Act 1861. If they do that, the legislation protecting the unborn child is gone.

I need to know what this means for the future, not just for me but also for my grandchildren and their children. I feel I have a responsibility to ensure that my vote cannot be used in the future to harm the innocent.

As Bigby said earlier we need to see the wording of the Referendum..

The electronic Irish Statute Book (eISB) comprises the Acts of the Oireachtas (Parliament), Statutory Instruments, Legislation Directory, Constitution and a limited number of pre-1922 Acts.
              Last edited by barefoot; 22-01-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• What do items 58 and 59 actually say?

Comment

• The link is there now Katie.

Comment

The link is there now Katie.
                    where?

sorry just seen it!

Comment

• I can see why you're worried Barefoot, as the clauses are very general and relate to pregnancy at any stage......I suppose that once they're gone you feel there might then be no protection against more and more legislation......I've no idea how this works, once the legislation is passed does it go into the Constitution as an amendment?

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but can expats vote on this?
                        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
                          Forgive my ignorance, but can expats vote on this?
                          don't think so.....think you have to be resident and on the electoral register

Comment

don't think so.....think you have to be resident and on the electoral register
                            Thanks Katie.
                            I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                            Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Looking like the 25th May for the referendum.

Recent polls show 40% for repeal, 30% against and approx. 30% don't know.
                              Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
                                Looking like the 25th May for the referendum.

Recent polls show 40% for repeal, 30% against and approx. 30% don't know.
                                I think those stats you quoted are for abortion up to 12 weeks . The survey favouring actual repeal is much higher ( 63 %) .

Comment

Working...
                                X