Australian Politicians and Citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Politicians and Citizenship

Is the citizenship clause a recent development?

I think its been on the books since 1949 whe Australiann citizenship was brought into being, and its one of the clauses [maybe dozens] that was included. since then its been there ,unaware of by probably most Australians. theres more countries that have this on their 'books' ,u.s.a , Netherlands, they don`t allow dual citizenship.
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

It's been in the Constitution since it was first drafted in the late 1890s and enacted in 1900.

As Cosmo pointed out it really only affected more people when the concept of Australian citizenship appeared. Before that all subjects of the British monarch qualified no matter where they came from.

Now all countries including the UK are considered foreign powers and their citizens are disqualified from standing for parliament under section 44 of the Constitution.

44. Any person who—
      (i) Is under any acknowledgment of allegiance, obedience, or
      adherence to a foreign power, or is a subject or a citizen or
      entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or a citizen of
      a foreign power:

The High Court has taken a more flexible reading and held that dual citizens must take all reasonable steps to renounce their other citizenship.

I personally don't believe in dual citizenship at all, I'd have all naturalised Australian citizens revoke their other citizenship. Then we wouldn't have all of this confusion with Poms, Kiwis and Canadians sitting in the Senate and the House when they shouldn't be.
      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Is it not best left up to the people to choose who ''they vote for''.......
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
          Is it not best left up to the people to choose who ''they vote for''.......
          It is. The Constitution just limits who can stand for election.
          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
            It is. The Constitution just limits who can stand for election.
            I understand that.....

I personally would not wish to become a UK National......I have no intention of getting involved in the running of anything in the UK......

But, others would be interested and they could be the best person for the job.....

Comment

I understand that.....

I personally would not wish to become a UK National......I have no intention of getting involved in the running of anything in the UK......

But, others would be interested and they could be the best person for the job.....
              They could well be. Here all they've got to do is revoke other citizenships. Otherwise don't legislate for those you are not affiliated to. Electors may be dual nationals, legislators may not.
              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

They could well be. Here all they've got to do is revoke other citizenships. Otherwise don't legislate for those you are not affiliated to. Electors may be dual nationals, legislators may not.
                It seems the argument is...They cannot be trusted........a valid argument IMO....

Comment

It seems the argument is...They cannot be trusted........a valid argument IMO....
                  I'd agree with that.
                  Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

the kiwi`s don`t trust the aussies...they say they say they are all...underhanded!!

Comment

It's been in the Constitution since it was first drafted in the late 1890s and enacted in 1900.

As Cosmo pointed out it really only affected more people when the concept of Australian citizenship appeared. Before that all subjects of the British monarch qualified no matter where they came from.

Now all countries including the UK are considered foreign powers and their citizens are disqualified from standing for parliament under section 44 of the Constitution.

44. Any person who—
                      (i) Is under any acknowledgment of allegiance, obedience, or
                      adherence to a foreign power, or is a subject or a citizen or
                      entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or a citizen of
                      a foreign power:

The High Court has taken a more flexible reading and held that dual citizens must take all reasonable steps to renounce their other citizenship.

I personally don't believe in dual citizenship at all, I'd have all naturalised Australian citizens revoke their other citizenship. Then we wouldn't have all of this confusion with Poms, Kiwis and Canadians sitting in the Senate and the House when they shouldn't be.

doe`s being born in England not disqualify a person from being aussie p.m ie [obviously it doesn`t]Gillard, abbott , or have England not got the same parent, grand parent "handed down" status as new zeland. always wondered about this.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                        doe`s being born in England not disqualify a person from being aussie p.m ie [obviously it doesn`t]Gillard, abbott , or have England not got the same parent, grand parent "handed down" status as new zeland. always wondered about this.
                        cos..There is no such thing (at the moment) as an English National.....There are UK Nationals.....

Of course England has the majority of people in the UK.....but, and you will be surprised at how the ''others'' in the UK have shaped the UK's history......

Example.......
                        In the recent general election the Scottish results allowed the Conservatives to hang onto power........

Comment

cos..There is no such thing (at the moment) as an English National.....There are UK Nationals.....

Of course England has the majority of people in the UK.....but, and you will be surprised at how the ''others'' in the UK have shaped the UK's history......

Example.......
                          In the recent general election the Scottish results allowed the Conservatives to hang onto power........
                          They can be selective in certain circumstances when mentioning ' English ' or ' British ' .........ah sure , the sky won't fall in .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
                            They can be selective in certain circumstances when mentioning ' English ' or ' British ' .........ah sure , the sky won't fall in .
                            Yes, and sadly history has suffered greatly because of it.......

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
                              Look at Blair, Kinnock, Heseltine, Brown.....Their influences on UK recent history have been massive......None of them ''English''.......

Comment

Working...
                              X