What's In A Pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's In A Pic

Photos can be plain.....or full of life......we all see busy photos differently.
    This is one of my fave pix of Dublin....
    I smiled when I noticed the Butt Bar.
    What about the old carriages.....
    the old horse an cart
    and that stack of pallets.

What takes your eye ?
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Look at that fella sitting on top of the cab..... and the big rat nibbling something on the ground near the corner of the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Look at that fella sitting on top of the cab..... and the big rat nibbling something on the ground near the corner of the bridge.
      The three fallas in the car with the sun-roof..........
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

You've either got good eyesight or a good imagination Damnable......I can't see any rat.......

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
          You've either got good eyesight or a good imagination Damnable......I can't see any rat.......

The rat has a van with ESB on it.....

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
            The rat has a van with ESB on it.....
            so a human rat?

Comment

so a human rat?
              LOL...I have no idea....

always lads standing on that bridge looking for a bit of work......Lorries coming up from the country need extra lads before the got to the Docks to load up or deliver......You would not be allowed to work on the docks as a lone driver of a Lorry.....A very handy few quid for the lucky lads....When picking up goods from the Marshalling yards you would be asked for your union card before you were allowed in......

Comment

Photos can be plain.....or full of life......we all see busy photos differently.
                This is one of my fave pix of Dublin....
                I smiled when I noticed the Butt Bar.
                What about the old carriages.....
                the old horse an cart
                and that stack of pallets.

What takes your eye ?
                Late afternoon by the shadows......?

Comment

Ahh good.... That worked then

Comment

LOL...I have no idea....

always lads standing on that bridge looking for a bit of work......Lorries coming up from the country need extra lads before the got to the Docks to load up or deliver......You would not be allowed to work on the docks as a lone driver of a Lorry.....A very handy few quid for the lucky lads....When picking up goods from the Marshalling yards you would be asked for your union card before you were allowed in......
                    Thanks for that Quinner, you are a great mine of Dub info when it comes to how it all worked in your day.

When ye think back to the daily hive of activity that went on at Sir J. Rogerson's Quay.....it was like a no go area for the general public....sure if ye looked around down that way ye might've come across Frank O'Connor's lost bale of Foreskins...or the cover of an old Mac Smile razor blade.

Ye might see the fellas who were picked for work to unload a coal boat, checking out their No 7 shovels on the cobblestones.....heart shaped shovels that weighed nearly two stone.....There'd be 'diggers' and a 'hooker on' as well as a singer-out.....all ready for the order from the stevedore "Man Ship".
                    The diggers were usually in first, straight into the coal hold to mark their spot with a packet of Woodbines, muffler scarf, or cloth cap, and as soon as the iron bucket was lifted in by the crane driver..... diggers stripped to the waist....then the shovels would get to work on what looked like an endless mine of coal.....

after a while it was nearly impossible to separate the diggers from the coal heap.....Not to mention the bloodshot eyes of the Singer-out, who was supposed to direct the bucket via the crane driver......the hooker-on stood on the coal lorry with his rosary in his hand every time a bucket headed his way.....talk about yer life in their hands.....The diggers were on tonnage money and could earn a good few quid for every boat........but the singer-outs and the hookers-on were on a flat rate of 15 bob a boat...... it was indeed 'a hard oul station' as they say.

Now....back to our pic....That copper looks totally swamped by what's goin on around him....mind you they were amazing when you saw tham in action at the various busy junctions and bridges around the city, with their full length armbands so's ye wouldn't miss them.

Look at the oul Brooks chimney there.....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for that Quinner, you are a great mine of Dub info when it comes to how it all worked in your day.

When ye think back to the daily hive of activity that went on at Sir J. Rogerson's Quay.....it was like a no go area for the general public....sure if ye looked around down that way ye might've come across Frank O'Connor's lost bale of Foreskins...or the cover of an old Mac Smile razor blade.

Ye might see the fellas who were picked for work to unload a coal boat, checking out their No 7 shovels on the cobblestones.....heart shaped shovels that weighed nearly two stone.....There'd be 'diggers' and a 'hooker on' as well as a singer-out.....all ready for the order from the stevedore "Man Ship".
                      The diggers were usually in first, straight into the coal hold to mark their spot with a packet of Woodbines, muffler scarf, or cloth cap, and as soon as the iron bucket was lifted in by the crane driver..... diggers stripped to the waist....then the shovels would get to work on what looked like an endless mine of coal.....

after a while it was nearly impossible to separate the diggers from the coal heap.....Not to mention the bloodshot eyes of the Singer-out, who was supposed to direct the bucket via the crane driver......the hooker-on stood on the coal lorry with his rosary in his hand every time a bucket headed his way.....talk about yer life in their hands.....The diggers were on tonnage money and could earn a good few quid for every boat........but the singer-outs and the hookers-on were on a flat rate of 15 bob a boat...... it was indeed 'a hard oul station' as they say.

Now....back to our pic....That copper looks totally swamped by what's goin on around him....mind you they were amazing when you saw tham in action at the various busy junctions and bridges around the city, with their full length armbands so's ye wouldn't miss them.

Look at the oul Brooks chimney there.....
                      Do you remember them soaping-up and diving in the liffey after they ''dug the boat''.They called it that as they started at the top and dug downwards until it was empty..i even saw them diving into a shoal of Mackeral that was swimming between the Bridges.....

Comment

Do you remember them soaping-up and diving in the liffey after they ''dug the boat''.They called it that as they started at the top and dug downwards until it was empty..i even saw them diving into a shoal of Mackeral that was swimming between the Bridges.....
                        Can't remember seein them jump in for a wash Joe, but I knew all arguments were settled by dockers by the losers being fecked in the Liffey.

Carters and breasters were the order of the day....they were the lads who got the heat inta the fire grates....lifting ten stone bags a coal up 5 or 6 flights of stairs.....and them with not a pick on them.. Then the fillers....big strappin fellas with arms like thighs....could fill a ten stone bag in less than ten seconds....with a square shovel and one hand....the other hand holding the sack open. many's the day I'd climb up on our back yard wall that separated us from the back of McHenry's coal yard in Blackpitts, and watch the coal workers fill up the carters and breasters wagons .....ready for their rounds....In the days when we could only afford a stone of coal for a week......we bought it in stones from the roundsmen from the back of their wagon.

And the time I spent earning a coupla bob of oul uncle Barney Devenny up there in Rathmines.....helping him do the coal round with his horse n cart on a saturda, an both of us with a coal sack converted into a hood and cape te keep out the rain and sometimes snow.....Devennys is still there next to the post office....and morphed into an off-licence only....over the years with Martin D keeping the family flag flying.
                        Attached Files

Comment

My Brother worked for Mac Hinery's for years.....I remember the joke kids had.....

How do you spell Mac Hinery?....Usual reply M.A.C.H.I.N.E.R.Y. .....Wrong!..that spells machinery......

Comment

My Brother worked for Mac Hinery's for years.....I remember the joke kids had.....

How do you spell Mac Hinery?....Usual reply M.A.C.H.I.N.E.R.Y. .....Wrong!..that spells machinery......
                            I remember dat joke....Another one was the "Pull that Finger" joke.

Comment

I remember dat joke....Another one was the "Pull that Finger" joke.
                              A wet coal-sack weighed about two stone....They were double woven for strength.....

Comment

Working...
                              X