Home Recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Recording

Any musos out there messed about with overdubs on home recording ?

I invested in a USB Snowball mic last year and downloaded Audacity on the laptop... I'm having repeated problems with latency, which is an inbuilt delay when recording over a previously recorded track - it's very difficult to compensate for - fifty milliseconds doesn't sound much but on playback it can be enough to throw the timing completely out and is noticeable to the ear.

I abandoned Audacity last year but was hoping to make another attempt this winter if I can find a workaround.

I had an old analogue four track recorder years ago and never encountered these type of issues...
    Last edited by cogito; 08-10-2016, 02:58 PM. Reason: Pic too large
    Everything is self-evident.

Originally posted by cogito View Post

I invested in a USB Snowball mic last year and downloaded Audacity on the laptop... I'm having repeated problems with latency, which is an inbuilt delay when recording over a previously recorded track - it's very difficult to compensate for - fifty milliseconds doesn't sound much but on playback it can be enough to throw the timing completely out and is noticeable to the ear.

I abandoned Audacity last year but was hoping to make another attempt this winter if I can find a workaround.

I had an old analogue four track recorder years ago and never encountered these type of issues...
    Yeh Wha'??

Comment

Hi Cogito, I am not familiar with that particular DAW but when I had this problem at my first time recording I found that recording a "guide track" as my first recording and overdubbing with only the guide track as playback (mute all other recordings) i.e. use the guide track as a click track that all the overdubs sync-ed up to allow the latency only effect the guide track not the overdubs and the overdubs become the main recording.

Comment

Originally posted by King of Funk View Post
        Hi Cogito, I am not familiar with that particular DAW but when I had this problem at my first time recording I found that recording a "guide track" as my first recording and overdubbing with only the guide track as playback (mute all other recordings) i.e. use the guide track as a click track that all the overdubs sync-ed up to allow the latency only effect the guide track not the overdubs and the overdubs become the main recording.
        Thanks for the input KOF - the latency issue arrises on any recordings overdubbed from an external input.. eg. a microphone. So the guide track you mention will be out of sync with any overdubbed recordings - because of the inbuilt delay - which I'm led to believe is caused by the laptops processing speed.

For example, you record a drum track and then play over it with a view to combining both - there's an inbuilt delay.. ie. latency.

Comment

Thanks for the input KOF - the latency issue arrises on any recordings overdubbed from an external input.. eg. a microphone. So the guide track you mention will be out of sync with any overdubbed recordings - because of the inbuilt delay - which I'm led to believe is caused by the laptops processing speed.

For example, you record a drum track and then play over it with a view to combining both - there's an inbuilt delay.. ie. latency.
          What I mean by a guide track is that it is a throw away track not to be used in the final product, just a way to keep everything in time.

Comment

Can't beat the old cassette recorder.... still have one... just press record.
            "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Originally posted by King of Funk View Post
              What I mean by a guide track is that it is a throw away track not to be used in the final product, just a way to keep everything in time.
              You mean like a metronome ? Audacity has a built in one, where required.

I may not have explained the problem with latency... it's not an issue of rhythm or timing. It's when you're recording an additional track (overdub) superimposed on an existing track - and you're listening to the original track on playback - there's an inbuilt delay called latency, which surfaces when you try to mix or playback the combined tracks - if you add a third or fourth track the problem grows.

You can program in a delay - but it's hit and miss. It's only an issue with digital recording...

Comment

Have you tried youtube for a tutorial?

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                  Have you tried youtube for a tutorial?
                  Duh !! Thanks Napper...

Comment

And thanks again, KOF...

Comment

Originally posted by riposte View Post
                      Can't beat the old cassette recorder.... still have one... just press record.
                      Riposte contemplates the pros and cons of using Dolby on that C60 containing his lifetime's work...

riposte recording.jpg

Comment

Riposte contemplates the pros and cons of using Dolby on that C60 containing his lifetime's work...

[ATTACH]66652[/ATTACH]
                        lol !!
                        "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Hi , i still have one of those with about 20 tapes 3,6,7 inch Some will play for about six hours,It is a Ferguson,it also has two speeds As there were no battery recorders then i rigged up a battery for it and brought it to the national stadium for a show and recorded the show , i still have it all.

Comment

Who was playing in the Stadium ?

Comment

Who was playing in the Stadium ?
                              Hi, Buck Owens and a guy called Tex Ritter and it was not high noon.I still have the tapes.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2016, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X