No announcement yet.

Nelson's Pillar gone , 50 years today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO the destruction of the pillar was the largest act of vandalism the City has ever seen. There was need for it as they could have removed Nelson and replaced him with an Irish Hero instead.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

In todays Irish Central

What happened to Nelson’s head after the explosion merits a mention. Seven hearty students from the National College of Art and Design reportedly stole it on St. Patrick's Day from a storage shed in Clanbrassil Street.

Later they leased the head for over $300 dollars a month to an antiques dealer in London for his shop window. Then it reappeared some time later on the stage of the Olympia Theatre for a concert performance with The Dubliners.

After further comical wanderings (which included an unlikely appearance in a ladies stockings commercial) the high-spirited students finally handed it over to Lady Nelson. It was later stored in the Civic Museum in Dublin and now resides in the Gilbert Library, on Pearse Street where it’s now rarely seen.

But of course it was an Irish poet (Louis MacNeice) who said it best in his poem entitled ‘Dublin’:

Grey brick upon brick,
      Declamatory bronze
      On sombre pedestals –
      O'Connell, Grattan, Moore –
      And the brewery tugs and the swans
      On the balustraded stream
      And the bare bones of a fanlight
      Over a hungry door
      And the air soft on the cheek
      And porter running from the taps
      With a head of yellow cream
      And Nelson on his pillar
      Watching his world collapse.

Comment

I was expecting my first daughter in St kevins maternity Hospital I heard the loud noise but I thought it was just thunder far away,

Next day my Husband told me about it, He had been working in the 55 club in O'Connell street he was with the resident band.

We lived in Mary Street at the time so he said most of the neighbours were out on the street and the story was not long reaching them all.

It was a sad day Nelson had become part of Dublin
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
          IMHO the destruction of the pillar was the largest act of vandalism the City has ever seen. There was need for it as they could have removed Nelson and replaced him with an Irish Hero instead.
          These braindeads have deprived us what could possibly be the biggest tourist attraction in the city today.

The dinosaur was on the radio today extolling the usual anti British rhetoric....sickening. 100 years on and we still get the usual tripe from these people.

He should have got jail for the destruction of the monument. If he wanted change, what was the problem with getting a consensus to remove the statue - nobody would have argued with that, and it would have succeeded....but no - they had to destroy what was loved by the vast majority of Dubliners.

Duuuuuuuh

Comment

Guess it depends on your point of view .
            I was around the corner when the ballix took off for Mars and we laughed like hell,myself and my pals that were at an occasion at the c.i.e hall.
            We came out half pissed to be told by a buddy of ours that it was gone?????What was gone?i said ?and he told us that the pillar was gone lol.
            We turned the corner at Kelly's and there were these two country (as usual) cops who I asked what happened and when they told us ,nine guys from glasnevin,two guys from drumcondra and two brothers from ballymun ,all friends laughed our heads off and the cops trying to keep a straight face .You had to be there as it was priceless with the dust on our suits lol.
            Most dubliners and other 26 counties people I know were delighted ,the West Britons I can't speak for.
            Nelson in Trafalgar Square fair enough ,in Dublin ???never .
            What did he ever do for the people of Ireland?
            The structure was a fine piece of work but what it represented ?????sry no .
            You could argue that they should have left fine architectural works of the Nazis as they were fine architectural works?but it comes down to what they represent.
            Last edited by tolka1; 09-03-2016, 04:43 AM.

Comment

tolka,the brits built , the custom house , g.p.o, Christ church, st pats cathedral , kilmainham gaol,the bull wall [bligh, another sailor] hundreds more around Dublin and all over the country, your thinking belongs along with the dinosaur...but your entitled to your opinion.
              in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                tolka,the brits built , the custom house , g.p.o, Christ church, st pats cathedral , kilmainham gaol,the bull wall [bligh, another sailor] hundreds more around Dublin and all over the country, your thinking belongs along with the dinosaur...but your entitled to your opinion.
                Ty for that Cosmo and I am happy to know more than enough dinosaurs of like thinking.
                The buildings you mention were all built for commerce or for the religious with money made from the labour somwhere by I presume of Irish people but nelsons column was a memorial to an English hero not Irish.
                As Ronnie drew sang..."in Trafalgar sq it might be fair".....,and the dinosaurs would agree with that as he was a great ENGLISH hero.
                Last edited by tolka1; 09-03-2016, 03:18 PM.

Comment

It's quite amazing,we still have these people with their bitterness who are preventing our country from moving on. The country will still be there long after they are gone and there won't be any memorials for them. Hopefully the youth of today will see them for what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
                    Ty for that Cosmo and I am happy to know more than enough dinosaurs of like thinking.
                    The buildings you mention were all built for commerce or for the religious with money made from the labour somwhere by I presume of Irish people but nelsons column was a memorial to an English hero not Irish.
                    As Ronnie drew sang..."in Trafalgar sq it might be fair".....,and the dinosaurs would agree with that as he was a great ENGLISH hero.
                    the point I was making was you could blow up most any building in Dublin at that time and it would be british built. it was just vandalism destroying history, just like the Taliban in wherever it was. the sad part was ,at the time there was talk of removing nelson with some irish patriot, don`t know if it would have ever happened, def won`t happen now....they have the spire.
                    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

It's quite amazing,we still have these people with their bitterness who are preventing our country from moving on. The country will still be there long after they are gone and there won't be any memorials for them. Hopefully the youth of today will see them for what they are.
                      In a few weeks time most people in this country will be remembering the 100 anniversary of the Easter rising and the man who led that rising said Ireland unfree will never be at peace.

Comment

It's quite amazing to me that there are people who seemingly are not familiar with Ireland's history and the country will and has moved along and I hope the same people remember at Easter the sacrifices made by the men and women who made it all possible for them to live in the country they live in?or maybe they belong to a group who would prefer to be back under the British.The memorial will be the free country that they live in that would not have been possible without those that gave their lives and others who lived through it.
                        I wonder how many of them would have agreed with a foreign hero on top of a pillar in the heart of Dublin?
                        Lest we forget.
                        Much of the youth of today are of the same mind as people were yrs ago .i guess they pay attention to their history.
                        Last edited by tolka1; 10-03-2016, 12:50 AM.

Comment

As a Dubliner who passed the pillar many times,I often looked up,especially when I was a kid,and wished I could climb to the observation platform.After some nut blew it up,I had left Ireland,and have always regretted that I never did.It;s a shame that it was destroyed.It was part of our history.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
                            As a Dubliner who passed the pillar many times,I often looked up,especially when I was a kid,and wished I could climb to the observation platform.After some nut blew it up,I had left Ireland,and have always regretted that I never did.It;s a shame that it was destroyed.It was part of our history.
                            Wonder why they tore down Saddam Husseins statue ?part of their history or do we pick and choose our heros and villains?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
                              As a Dubliner my grandfather used to walk down that street and look up and wonder why has that man up there more rights than me an Irish citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
                                It's quite amazing to me that there are people who seemingly are not familiar with Ireland's history and the country will and has moved along and I hope the same people remember at Easter the sacrifices made by the men and women who made it all possible for them to live in the country they live in?or maybe they belong to a group who would prefer to be back under the British.The memorial will be the free country that they live in that would not have been possible without those that gave their lives and others who lived through it.
                                I wonder how many of them would have agreed with a foreign hero on top of a pillar in the heart of Dublin?
                                Lest we forget.
                                Much of the youth of today are of the same mind as people were yrs ago .i guess they pay attention to their history.
                                That's the best piece of armchair patriotism I have heard in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X