Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Street

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...314822879.html

A PLAN to reverse the “blight, dereliction and vacancy” of one of Dublin’s most historic streets will today be published by the Dublin Civic Trust.

The Thomas Street: Improving the Public Face of an Historic City Centre Street plan aims to better the appearance of the street through the restoration of its historic buildings, the promotion of indigenous businesses and the development of visitor attractions.

Despite being the commercial heart of the Liberties, the street underwent a slow but continual decline in the 20th century, with dereliction and demolition creating gaps in the streetscape. Much historic architecture, including some early 18th-century merchant houses, remained but became hidden beneath modern facades, and often the fabric became substantially damaged.
    Do what you love - love what you do.

More information here:

http://www.thejournal.ie/plan-shows-...19948-Apr2012/

Comment

Busy Thomas Street, in better shape than it's in today.
      Attached Files

Comment

great photos auld, i remember that st well, my father used to take us there when we where youngto get our shoes on the never never,shop was called joe chipps

Comment

I'd like to date these photos. The one in the middle is older than the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
            I'd like to date these photos. The one in the middle is older than the other two.
            have you noticed the last one.....the shop with... mac donalds .young and gay fashions....

i would not be surprised if they changed that.....
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I have a date for this: 1952
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
                Busy Thomas Street, in better shape than it's in today.
                The amount of shoe shops in just that photo.....my wife worked in pick a shoe in town ...during the summer holidays
                The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Got me first Crew cut,in a barbers there in the 50's
                  I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

great photos auld

Comment

Thomas Street was part of the old Irish "Slí Mhór" - a key route that ran westwards across Ireland from Dublin. It obtained its present name from the church of St. Thomas, founded in 1175 near St. Catherine's church. The founder was William FitzAldelm, deputy and kinsman of King Henry II. The church was dedicated to Thomas Beckett (St. Thomas the Martyr), who had recently been murdered in his cathedral at Canterbury by followers of the king. The church became a rich and powerful monastery, which controlled the Liberty of Thomas Court and Donore. In 1539 it was dissolved with all the monasteries by Henry VIII.

From the mid-16th century the Lord of this Liberty was the Earl of Meath (after whom Meath St and other places are named), whose family acquired the lands of the monastery from Henry VIII.
                      Last edited by Auld Decency; 21-04-2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

St. Catherine's Church, originally built in 1185. In 1803 it was the site of Robert Emmet's execution. It was closed as a church in 1966. Historian Maurice Craig wrote that St. Catherine's has "the finest façade of any church in Dublin".
                        Attached Files

Comment

The churchyard behind St. Catherine's. Lots of famous people were buried here, all forgotten now.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Great photos auld. i was an altar boy in meath st and a choir boy in johns lane . thomas st and meath st were great shopping streets. we had our own department store called frawleys. your older photos were taken l1947 / 1950 .the street was as i remember it
                            May You Be In Heaven Before The Devil Knows You're Dead!

Comment

I spent a lot of time around that area, I worked in Augustine St. I never knew there was a graveyard behind St Catherine's. Great photos and thread!
                              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X