X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Irish Civil War

The words that split a nation:

"I... do solemnly swear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the Irish Free State as by law established, and that I will be faithful to His Majesty King George V, his heirs and successors by law in virtue of the common citizenship of Ireland with Great Britain and her adherence to and membership of the group of nations forming the British Commonwealth of nations"

Saturday sees the the anniversary of a very important time in Irish history, the Civil War. On 14th April 1922 anti-Treaty forces led by Rory O'Connor occupied the Four Courts. The shooting war didn't kick off until June '22, but this was an event that fueled the eventual outbreak of hostilities.

Would it be possible do you think to build a thread day by day covering as much of the civil war as possible? It might be a valuable reference for those of us who may be largely ignorant of our real history, not the rubbish that was taught in school.
    Attached Files
    Such is life - Ned Kelly

Discussion on Civil War thread...

Warts and all... like Ballyseedy for instance? The fact that our own government executed more Irishmen that the British even thought of?

This could be an interesting threat now that so much time has passed... and hopefully the bad blood has passed too.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post

Would it be possible do you think to build a thread day by day covering as much of the civil war as possible? It might be a valuable reference for those of us who may be largely ignorant of our real history, not the rubbish that was taught in school.
      I'm not sure what you have in mind Boxman - do you mean some type of chronological thread - or do you simply mean throw in anything related to the Civil War ?
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
        I'm not sure what you have in mind Boxman - do you mean some type of chronological thread - or do you simply mean throw in anything related to the Civil War ?
        Yes a chronological thread would be best rather than a random thread. We could add milestone for the period and fill in as much documentary evidence, photos etc as we can as we go along. I'd suggest we leave out discussion of the Treaty negotiations etc leading up to the split...that deserves a thread of its own I'd suggest. If we do it properly we could end up with a very valuable historical resource.
        Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

That sounds very ambitious - but an excellent idea if it were to work. Just to recap - and correct me if I'm wrong - you're suggesting confining posts to events 90 years from the events - April 1922 for now in other words...

Comment

That sounds very ambitious - but an excellent idea if it were to work. Just to recap - and correct me if I'm wrong - you're suggesting confining posts to events 90 years from the events - April 1922 for now in other words...
            What I'd suggest is we start with a brief background to the lead up to the walk out and split and then start with the occupation of the Four Courts and then try to fill in the details chronologically up until the official cessation on May 24th '23. So we go from 14th April '22 - 24th May '23. I agree it is ambitious and will require some moderation, editing etc, but I really think there is a sufficient knowledge base here to do it. Perhaps Conor can provide some information from his research for example.
            Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

This RTE documentary from 1998 has some good historical footage and a precis of the events during the period. Maybe we can fill in the details with research from Dail sources, photo records etc in chronological order.

Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                What I'd suggest is we start with a brief background to the lead up to the walk out and split and then start with the occupation of the Four Courts and then try to fill in the details chronologically up until the official cessation on May 24th '23. So we go from 14th April '22 - 24th May '23. I agree it is ambitious and will require some moderation, editing etc, but I really think there is a sufficient knowledge base here to do it. Perhaps Conor can provide some information from his research for example.
                Might be too big a subject for a forum like this Boxman - or maybe not - I'm not sure... what about a look at Dublin during the period ? - or maybe that's too narrow...

I'm throwing this open to members for discussion before we embark - it would take a lot of contributors and contributions...

Comment

Might be too big a subject for a forum like this Boxman - or maybe not - I'm not sure... what about a look at Dublin during the period ? - or maybe that's too narrow...

I'm throwing this open to members for discussion before we embark - it would take a lot of contributors and contributions...
                  the civil war was bound to happen........when an army wins the battles, but fails to win the war.....

that is the result.....................
                  Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                    the civil war was bound to happen........when an army wins the battles, but fails to win the war.....

that is the result.....................
                    Indeed...

I was hoping we might get some ideas on the thread itself - and how to approach it and structure it - before we get involved in the subject matter. Any suggestions Joe ?

Comment

Indeed...

I was hoping we might get some ideas on the thread itself - and how to approach it and structure it - before we get involved in the subject matter. Any suggestions Joe ?
                      i just, maybe thought that by starting with the reason for battle in the first place....maybe a good place to start........

i suppose it probably started when the unionists first armed themselves...

that brought the main body of nationalists together.....rather than just a hardline faction being involved.........

Comment

Discussion on Civil War thread...

How to complicate things...

This thread will be for comments, complaints, advice, queries, arguments or anything not directly pertaining to the 'Civil War' thread itself... that's probably clear as mud.

I'll be moving comments which are about the thread rather than part of it - including my own, over to here to allow us to get the thing off the ground... feel free to contribute to both.

Comment

How to complicate things...

This thread will be for comments, complaints, advice, queries, arguments or anything not directly pertaining to the 'Civil War' thread itself... that's probably clear as mud.

I'll be moving comments which are about the thread rather than part of it - including my own, over to here to allow us to get the thing off the ground... feel free to contribute to both.
                          good idea cogs.....

how important do you think the civil war was....in defining the new nation...??????

Comment

No no no Quinner... this thread is for discussions on the Civil War thread... not for discussions on the Civil War - they belong on the Civil War - thread...

Hey !! Come back... was just messin' ...

Comment

No no no Quinner... this thread is for discussions on the Civil War thread... not for discussions on the Civil War - they belong on the Civil War - thread...

Hey !! Come back... was just messin' ...
                              shall we call this....the second civil war.......

Comment

Working...
                              X